No announcement yet.

B. C. biggest draft mistakes. Not Barg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B. C. biggest draft mistakes. Not Barg.

insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors strange. guess he do not want to call Barg out.

no way he's going to name a player still on the roster, though it'd be gut busting hilarious if he did.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

"Bargs, no question. That guy sucks."
      *looks at camera, drops head*
      "Please don't publish that"
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

What did Colangelo say? (no insider access for me).

Comment

Casey Jacobsen and PJ Tucker.

interesting that he mentions regretting passing on Millsap. You know what to do BC!
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Don't have insider access, so can't see the article, but drafting Bargnani was not a mistake. The mistake was not trading him.

The biggest regret was getting the #1 pick that year... although it could have been much worse. We could have drafted Adam Morrison or Sheldon Williams.

I am no longer a Bryan supporter, however the one thing he has always done well was draft well.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Casey Jacobsen and PJ Tucker.

interesting that he mentions regretting passing on Millsap. You know what to do BC!
              Hey Ceez, no access now on my phone to copy and paste the article. Are you by any chance able to do so? Would be greatly appreciated.
              Respect!

Comment

During a Q&A discussing how teams prepare for the draft, Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star asked Toronto Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo who he would pick as his worst selection.

"I had a draft selection in Phoenix, No. 22 [in 2002]. I picked a kid named Casey Jacobsen from Stanford and Tayshaun Prince went 23rd. I missed because we had Shawn Marion and felt Prince was more or less a duplication. But I made it up by taking Amar'e Stoudemire at No 9. And then a kid Paul Millsap went 47th [in 2006]. And at 35, we took P.J. Tucker. That was a mistake."

Ironically, Tucker currently plays for the Suns and he's part of their rotation this season.

Colangelo has been in charge of the Raptors since 2006 and his first round picks include Andrea Bargnani, DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross. Those five players are still with the Raptors.
                there you go
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i remember the year andrea was drafted i wanted the raps to trade down and take rudy gay or just take him outright. at the same time, i get why BC took bargs.

hindsight is 20/20
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Don't have insider access, so can't see the article, but drafting Bargnani was not a mistake. The mistake was not trading him.

The biggest regret was getting the #1 pick that year... although it could have been much worse. We could have drafted Adam Morrison or Sheldon Williams.

I am no longer a Bryan supporter, however the one thing he has always done well was draft well.
                    While I think drafting Bargnani was a mistake, I think the bigger and more important one was using him and treating him like he was a budding superstar well after it was obvious he wasn't. That of all things has been Colangelo's biggest and most influential failing.

....missed because we had Shawn Marion and felt Prince was more or less a duplication
                    for anyone who still believes Colangelo drafts BPA, yet more evidence that he does not.

Comment

I posted this twice by accident. can someone please delete the other post? Thank you very much and sorry about. Hard to do these things on a phone. ARG!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                        there you go
                        Thank you very much!

Comment

I don't blame Colangelo for drafting Bargnani. In the summer of 2006, there was no clear cut first pick. Each of Bargnani, Aldridge, Thomas, Morrison, Gay, etc. came with risk. But like planetmars said, the biggest mistake was holding onto him for 7 years.

The bright side is that it's not too late to correct that mistake. If Colangelo can turn Turkoglu into Barbosa, he's more than capable of turning Bargnani into a serviceable rotation player. Who that player is, though? I have no idea.

As for the OP, passing up Millsap was definitely regretful in hindsight, but this isn't a case of Colangelo admitting he was wrong. There was 30 other GMs who passed on Millsap, half of them passing him up twice.

Comment

Figured out how to remove duplicate post. Sorry all!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Why do people keep saying this??
                              Which one of his draft picks in Toronto have been so great to make people believe this crap?

Comment

Working...
                              X