Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Could the Raps potentially be able to play some small ball with JJ at the four for short stretches?
    Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    Definitely. I'm pretty sure last stint he had in Toronto we had him guard KG one game so nothing's out of the picture
    Not only that, but we can play small ball where everyone on the court is 6'6'' and no one really has to play out of position. That would be one pretty big small ball unit.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      That's what I'm hoping. Though I have a feeling Casey leaves him in whenever the other team has a slightly bigger wing. We can manage with Ross guarding guys like Paul George.
      I like Ross defensively in nearly every wing matchup, except ones where he gets posted up. Fortunately, those are few and far between so in theory, Casey shouldn't have to lean on JJ too often.

I am expecting big things from Casey this year from a coaching and teaching standpoint, dude got re-upped with some consistent question marks and I want to see some improvement

Comment

JJ is so skilled and physically gifted. Surprised how his career has turned out. If he can improve his J on spot ups. I feel James Johnson fits way better on this team now than he did his last time here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

With James, this time around, it's all about where his head is at. He has the tools. He could be a great fit for the team if he is not just mouthing platitudes about knowing his role etc. We will definitely know by the 35 game mark. And if he is starting to turn, there will still be time to get something of value for him at the trade deadline.

By that I mean I fully expect to see him do very well in the first half of the season. It seems to take him 3-4 months before he starts picturing himself taking over games, and being one of the team leaders. If he starts treading down that path, ship his ass out the door. When he is not engaged, his defensive capabilities start to slide.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Not only that, but we can play small ball where everyone on the court is 6'6'' and no one really has to play out of position. That would be one pretty big small ball unit.
            Yeah, I like the versatility the Raptors possess.

Can mix and match the 2-4 positions between DeRozan, Ross, Vasquez, Bruno, Johnson, and the 1 position between Lowry, Vasquez, and Lou.
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I really like JJ's fit on this team, with hope that the past does not follow him around.

He will be playing Salmons' old role, with possibly few minutes spotted to Bruno (I feel like Bruno would play against someone like KD). 12-18 minutes, used to match-up against bigger, stronger, offensive players, fill in the 4 position in small ball situations, and is a pretty good back-up to have in case of injury, if there are any *knock on wood.*
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Yeah, I love the possibility of a small line up.

Lowry - Ross - DD - JJ - AJ

That line up can jump and run out of the building.
                Myself (March 2014):
                The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                  I really like JJ's fit on this team, with hope that the past does not follow him around.

He will be playing Salmons' old role, with possibly few minutes spotted to Bruno (I feel like Bruno would play against someone like KD). 12-18 minutes, used to match-up against bigger, stronger, offensive players, fill in the 4 position in small ball situations, and is a pretty good back-up to have in case of injury, if there are any *knock on wood.*
                  do you honestly feel that way dude? You think it's smart and good game management to put your extremely raw "2 years away from being two years away" rookie on the reigning MVP?

I don't think i need to spell out why that's a bad idea, regardless of their similar body composition, but I'll leave you with this: VETS WIN GAMES! :P
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

rookie Bruno on KD = Kobe no longer scoring the most points against the Raptors.

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      do you honestly feel that way dude? You think it's smart and good game management to put your extremely raw "2 years away from being two years away" rookie on the reigning MVP?

I don't think i need to spell out why that's a bad idea, regardless of their similar body composition, but I'll leave you with this: VETS WIN GAMES! :P
                      Nothing to worry about, Durant's mom was the real MVP anyway.
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        So not only are the Raptors deep, but they're also pretty damn versatile
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                          So not only are the Raptors deep, but they're also pretty damn versatile
                          Yep, more than they have been in a long while. Maybe ever....Obviously depending on whether the coaching staff can find ways to utilize very different lineups. I'm eager to see if they're able to maximize such versatility.

Having Lowry, GV and Lou gives lots of options on the perimeter. Along with a big wing who can play the 4 in JJ, and a more conventional big in Pat who can stretch the floor, gives them tons of options if they want to run stuff that's very different from their fairly conventional starting 5 unit.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jul 28, 2014, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Can anyone else see James Johnson taking the starting spot from Ross halfway through the season?

We already have a high usage backcourt in Lowry/Dd. Casey said that he except Jonas to average around 14 & 10. So he obviously excepts Jonas to get more shots. I don't know where that leaves Ross. Is he ok with being the 4th option again?

If James Johnson can get that corner 3 going. Should make things very interesting. James Johnson might be a better fit in the starting line up. There's only one ball.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Can anyone else see James Johnson taking the starting spot from Ross halfway through the season?

We already have a high usage backcourt in Lowry/Dd. Casey said that he except Jonas to average around 14 & 10. So he obviously excepts Jonas to get more shots. I don't know where that leaves Ross. Is he ok with being the 4th option again?

If James Johnson can get that corner 3 going. Should make things very interesting. James Johnson might be a better fit in the starting line up. There's only one ball.

Considering Ross excels off the ball as a shooter, and JJ has not shown any consistency at all in several seasons as a shooter...no, not really. You can still stagger minutes so Ross gets some time as a scorer when DD and/or Kyle are on the bench.

JJ really would have to improve his shooting a lot....or Pat would have to take Amir's starting spot....As long as Amir and Jonas start, it would just make for terrible spacing to start JJ.

Being the 4th option is not exactly a terrible thing. He could still up his scoring with better consistency...and again, you don't have to play him only with the starters so he's bound to get minutes with other combinations. Worth noting that Greivis and Lou will also need the ball in their hands, so even off the bench, Ross won't be able to dominate the ball. Good to keep working on his game as primarily an off-the-ball guy while he develops his ball skills. He was still a long ways away last season from being a guy who you can consistently put the ball in his hands.

Comment

The bench has enough scoring, they need JJ in the second unit for defence.
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X