Terrence Ross is over-rated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kadazzle wrote: View Post
    He's not asked to, it's the system, not the player. Watch him at Washington and tell me he's not a VERY GOOD rebounder at the SG position. He's asked to spot-up shoot for the raptors, while Gay/DD go inside.
    There's still no such thing as a rebounding system. You either get the loose ball, or not. He doesn't do that, so I'm assuming from what I've seen this season, is he's not a rebounder.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

So am I wrong to say Ross has hit the "Rookie Wall" ? Or is it just the circumstance of playing with Lucas and Anderson?

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        So am I wrong to say Ross has hit the "Rookie Wall" ? Or is it just the circumstance of playing with Lucas and Anderson?
        I certainly think it's a rookie wall. A guy this talented should not be brought down by teammates' games.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          I certainly think it's a rookie wall. A guy this talented should not be brought down by teammates' games.
          I also think he's just putting even more pressure on himself to perform, in order to earn more minutes, which has only intensified due to having 5 wings that demand playing time. I think it's a classic case of a rookie trying to earn minutes by scoring, when playing solid team ball and defense would likely be the better way to bring about the desired result. It's frustrating for Ross supporters, but I think DC's actually handling him quite well.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I also think he's just putting even more pressure on himself to perform, in order to earn more minutes, which has only intensified due to having 5 wings that demand playing time. I think it's a classic case of a rookie trying to earn minutes by scoring, when playing solid team ball and defense would likely be the better way to bring about the desired result. It's frustrating for Ross supporters, but I think DC's actually handling him quite well.
            Yeah, agreed, team first mentality, and better he ride the pine instead of hurting his team by pressing. The guy is out there trying to make the home-run play. He's going to get the minutes, just perform within your game.

Comment

Yeah, agreed, team first mentality, and better he ride the pine instead of hurting his team by pressing. The guy is out there trying to make the home-run play. He's going to get the minutes, just perform within your game.
              Very true about the "homerun play". He needs to learn that you don't necessarily need to score points to be affective on the floor. Just play sound defense, don't gamble, play within the system, and the open looks will come.

Comment

Ross is feeling the pressure to perform no doubt that he isnt letting his smooth playstyle do it for him he has been rushing all his posessions lately and in the NOH game he spent shoot around dunking theres pics of it on Instagram. like he totally killed his legs during pregame.

Ross just has to come in and play his game as he always did when he got minutes and he will be fine someone has to tell him dude Anderson is not going to kick you off this team relax. Ross has always been that unassuming kid never really having the spot light shine on him, He could also be feeling the pressure of the Allstar break around the corner

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Very true about the "homerun play". He needs to learn that you don't necessarily need to score points to be affective on the floor. Just play sound defense, don't gamble, play within the system, and the open looks will come.
                  Ross is a talented player, but he's trying to hard to get his own. Individual gain doesn't necessarily help out the team.

Comment

Unrelated sort of but I think a lot of the players on this team can learn a lot from Landry Fields. I gotta say he has a new fan in me.

Comment

There's still no such thing as a rebounding system. You either get the loose ball, or not. He doesn't do that, so I'm assuming from what I've seen this season, is he's not a rebounder.
                      If you're job is to be a spot-up shooter, especially when someone else drives and is supposed to kick it out to you, you're going to grab less offensive boards. That's clearly the system and what he's asked to do, rather than his physical ability and mental drive to get the ball. Did you watch him at all with the Huskies?

It shouldn't come as news to you that the farther away you are from the net, the less likely you are to grab a ball that bounces off the net. Although there's no excuse for the defensive boards (though I haven't checked his D-Reb %), he was a monster on the offensive glass at Washington.

Comment

Kadazzle wrote: View Post
                        If you're job is to be a spot-up shooter, especially when someone else drives and is supposed to kick it out to you, you're going to grab less offensive boards. That's clearly the system and what he's asked to do, rather than his physical ability and mental drive to get the ball. Did you watch him at all with the Huskies?

It shouldn't come as news to you that the farther away you are from the net, the less likely you are to grab a ball that bounces off the net. Although there's no excuse for the defensive boards (though I haven't checked his D-Reb %), he was a monster on the offensive glass at Washington.
                        Oh stop it. Demar Derozan isn't an offensive rebounder. Sure, Ross was a monster in Washington - and yes, I did watch A LOT of Washington basketball - but is he on the Huskies right now? None the less, is he in College right now? Speaking to what's being SEEN from his play as a Raptor, he's not a rebounder.

Now, in your statement about not being able to rebound farther away from the basket, isn't it fundamentally known to follow your shot, once it goes up? (Unless you're the long safety). That definitely falls into place, regardless of where you are on the court, it's up to the player to pursue that 50/50 ball. Just unless Coach Casey tells him NOT to rebound, which is obviously absurd.

And, like you said, for a guy this athletic, there's no excuse for the defensive rebounding.

So, once again, my statement stands, Ross is not a good pro rebounder. He IS capable of rebounding, which is really what you are saying, because he hasn't rebounded well this season. Lowry is a terrific rebounder for his position and size, and he's definitely not 3 feet from the basket consistently, he just continues to pursue and battle for the loose ball. Rondo, Westbrook, etc, etc.

Comment

You guys are all a little nutty. Ross has shown flashes of brilliance this season but has had many more games where he's pretty much a non factor. The good moments don't necessarily guarantee that he'll grow into a player that does it on a nightly basis, nor do his struggles mean that he'll always have the same inconsistencies in his game.

He's a first year player who just turned 22. He's been squeezed for minutes at various times of the year and hasn't had a well defined role (at least from a distance). Trying to forecast the next ten years of his career is insane.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                            You guys are all a little nutty. Ross has shown flashes of brilliance this season but has had many more games where he's pretty much a non factor. The good moments don't necessarily guarantee that he'll grow into a player that does it on a nightly basis, nor do his struggles mean that he'll always have the same inconsistencies in his game.

He's a first year player who just turned 22. He's been squeezed for minutes at various times of the year and hasn't had a well defined role (at least from a distance). Trying to forecast the next ten years of his career is insane.
                            Thing is though, when he shows his "flashes of brilliance", it's pretty damn brilliant. LOL.

I think one thing about Ross that needs to get better, is his basketball IQ.

I don't believe he knows the difference between a shot, and a good shot. Takes some really random shots at times regardless if the play is ran for him. He's a little too systematic in terms of getting a play-call. Also, he does have really good defense, but the defensive fundamentals are pretty low. Jumps on every single fake/jump-shot, gambles almost as much as Lowry. But, he is a rookie.
                            Last edited by ReubenJRD; Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:59 PM.

Comment

"Pretty damn brilliant" is a little strong I think. He's had one really good game, a few others that have been pretty good and then a whole pack of games that have been somewhere between average and bad. For the past month or so he hasn't played well. Not hating on Ross - I like his demeanor and raw skill set - but it takes more than a handful of good games in your rookie year to prove that you're going to be an above average player in the NBA, let alone a potential all star like some people are saying.

Comment

Even with being out with injury for a ton of games, JV has made way more of an impact than Ross has. Hopefully the stress from the dunk contest is gone and he can come back to actually playing good ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X