Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Armstrong getting on my nerves lately

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
    I gave examples, you can replay the broadcasts and see it for yourself. As for Jack making a play for Casey's job, huh what? I don't think that has ever been thought of or even expressed on this or any other forum, not sure how you got from A to B based on the comments here.

    The self interest has more to do with making others perceive you as smarter than you really are. So by throwing others under the bus, you look like the wiser. A quality that is not very admirable.
    Sorry if I misunderstood. I wasn't sure what you meant by self serving and slimy. Your original post didn't point to what end his "self-serving" comments were intended. I could only assume point A and guess what what point B was. So Jack is just tying to prove to all of us that he is smarter than he is ? Wow. That is quite a leap. What does he have to prove?
    I am not sure you, me or anyone can determine how "smart" Jack is, and I think he praises Casey 100 times more then he questions him. But that's Jack's job on the broadcast. One thing I do know is that in terms of basketball he is infinitely smarter then either of us. Combined. He didn't pile on for all the years of inept basketball he's had to endure. Now with some recent play that is promising he can do a little more than praise all the time. He can critique decent basketball.
    Last edited by Thornbury; Thu Feb 14, 2013, 01:56 PM.

    Comment


    • #77
      Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      I didn't think it was that funny, just 'smirk-funny'. But I totally agree with hotfuzz; it's more a case of pc America than ignorant america if they got suspended for it. Cohen isn't American and I think you could label his whole movie about Borat more racist than this petite remark. I did like the movie btw; not an ignorant american either, but maybe I'm the living prove that you can be ignorant and racist no matter where you come from. Calling them 'ignorant americans' with some implication that this might be 'typical', as lots of people outside of America argue often, is probably more racist (or country-ist). Of course it's totally true, but that's beside the point.
      The movie was funny because it was supposed to be ironic and pointed out the passive aggressive racism of America. Sasha Baron Cohen is jewish and if you recall he called them devils in Borat. It was a comedy MOVIE. The broadcaster said something offensive during a sporting event not with the intention of comedy or irony. He said it because of Reagan era anti-Iran sentiments that obviously still exist. The broadcaster is employed, I assume, by a media company and the NBA, that have a code of conduct. The NBA clearly wants to appeal to any and every market in the world and not offend any viewers. This guy's hidden inner racist came out during him doing a job and he should be fined. What happens when you utter racist remakes at your work? What happens when you do it so thousands of people hear you say it? Unless you work for the KKK you likely get in shit, punished, or fired. What he said wasn't even funny. Would it have been equally funny if he said Z-Bo looked like Tracy Morgan? Didn't think so. Then, to tag on at the end "Of course it's totally true" was really rich. So thanks for agreeing
      Last edited by Thornbury; Thu Feb 14, 2013, 01:50 PM.

      Comment


      • #78
        Thornbury wrote: View Post
        Sorry if I misunderstood. I wasn't sure what you meant by self serving and slimy. Your original post didn't point to what end his "self-serving" comments were intended. I could only assume point A and guess what what point B was. So Jack is just tying to prove to all of us that he is smarter than he is ? Wow. That is quite a leap. What does he have to prove?
        I am not sure you, me or anyone can determine how "smart" Jack is, and I think he praises Casey 100 times more then he questions him. But that's Jack's job on the broadcast. One thing I do know is that in terms of basketball he is infinitely smarter then either of us. Combined. He didn't pile on for all the years of inept basketball he's had to endure. Now with some recent play that is promising he can do a little more than praise all the time. He can critique decent basketball.
        Yes he is a master wizard of the 73rd order... we should all bow before him and not make direct eye contact.


        My points were straightforward, it did not take a rocket scientist to understand what I was getting at. Good luck with your man worship of Jack. (ps basketball is a game, not rocket science, sorry if you think it is infinitely impossible for you to have the same knowledge as Jack, and btw, you don't know who I am, not that it matters, just funny how you say "it's the one thing you know")
        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:09 PM.

        Comment


        • #79
          Thornbury wrote: View Post
          The movie was funny because it was supposed to be ironic and pointed out the passive aggressive racism of America. Sasha Baron Cohen is jewish and if you recall he called them devils in Borat. It was a comedy MOVIE. The broadcaster said something offensive during a sporting event not with the intention of comedy or irony. He said it because of Reagan era anti-Iran sentiments that obviously still exist. The broadcaster is employed, I assume, by a media company and the NBA, that have a code of conduct. The NBA clearly wants to appeal to any and every market in the world and not offend any viewers. This guy's hidden inner racist came out during him doing a job and he should be fined. What happens when you utter racist remakes at your work? What happens when you do it so thousands of people hear you say it? Unless you work for the KKK you likely get in shit, punished, or fired. What he said wasn't even funny. Would it have been equally funny if he said Z-Bo looked like Tracy Morgan? Didn't think so. Then, to tag on at the end "Of course it's totally true" was really rich. So thanks for agreeing
          I'm derailing threads too often, so I'll keep it short. We don't have to agree and clearly we don't. Lots of people in Kazakhstan didn't like the way he portraited their country and the way he 'used' local people for his movie. Just because it's a comedy MOVIE doesn't mean that's not up for debate. I think the commentator is trying to entertain and as such trying to be funny. I don't think it's particularly funny and I don't think they should do it, but I don't think it's a big deal either. And yes, if I say something which could be perceived (slightly) racist while trying to be funny at work I might get in trouble, primarily if the joke falls flat, but it won't be big trouble like getting fired. By the way, Tracy Morgan looks more like Andrew Bynum.

          Comment


          • #80
            Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            I'm derailing threads too often, so I'll keep it short. We don't have to agree and clearly we don't. Lots of people in Kazakhstan didn't like the way he portraited their country and the way he 'used' local people for his movie. Just because it's a comedy MOVIE doesn't mean that's not up for debate. I think the commentator is trying to entertain and as such trying to be funny. I don't think it's particularly funny and I don't think they should do it, but I don't think it's a big deal either. And yes, if I say something which could be perceived (slightly) racist while trying to be funny at work I might get in trouble, primarily if the joke falls flat, but it won't be big trouble like getting fired. By the way, Tracy Morgan looks more like Andrew Bynum.
            Fair enough. But the two are apples and oranges. Completely agree with Morgan /Bynum. I was trying to remember who it was Morgan looked like. I'd get fired at my job for that comment.

            Comment


            • #81
              Thornbury wrote: View Post
              ... I'd get fired at my job for that comment.
              People at my job have no clue who either Bynum or Morgan is.

              Comment


              • #82
                BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                Yes he is a master wizard of the 73rd order... we should all bow before him and not make direct eye contact.


                My points were straightforward, it did not take a rocket scientist to understand what I was getting at. Good luck with your man worship of Jack. (ps basketball is a game, not rocket science, sorry if you think it is infinitely impossible for you to have the same knowledge as Jack, and btw, you don't know who I am, not that it matters, just funny how you say "it's the one thing you know")
                Wow. Dude. Kinda sensitive about your thread. Didn't know I was replying to the greatest basketball mind since Auerbach. I guess I only truly know two things in regards to basketball: Jack broadcasts the game and you don't. And that you have a crush on balls.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Jacks armstrong is fun to listen to. And Matt devlin is better than most play by play guys in the nba. Have you heard the clippers dude? he doesn't even get excited for his own team unless its a blake griffin dunk, or maybe all those years of shitty basketball killed his enthusiasm.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    Jacks armstrong is fun to listen to. And Matt devlin is better than most play by play guys in the nba. Have you heard the clippers dude? he doesn't even get excited for his own team unless its a blake griffin dunk, or maybe all those years of shitty basketball killed his enthusiasm.
                    +1

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Thornbury wrote: View Post
                      Wow. Dude. Kinda sensitive about your thread. Didn't know I was replying to the greatest basketball mind since Auerbach. I guess I only truly know two things in regards to basketball: Jack broadcasts the game and you don't. And that you have a crush on balls.
                      Okay I give up. You got me, I want Jack's job. Anyone who questions jack must be on the level of Red Auerbach, jack's a legend in the NBA.
                      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Feb 14, 2013, 05:23 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Good. It was a stupid thread.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          I have been going through other fan forums and our announcers are generally liked. I guess people just get tired of hearing the same voice nightin night out.

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                            I have been going through other fan forums and our announcers are generally liked. I guess people just get tired of hearing the same voice nightin night out.
                            Clevelands and Bostons fans hate our announcers (not generally I suppose). Noticed that in their forums during games.
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              I have been going through other fan forums and our announcers are generally liked. I guess people just get tired of hearing the same voice nightin night out.
                              Especially when the same voices are accompanied by more losses than wins....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X