X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    DeMar isnt a legit piece???? how so? Lowry, DeRozan Gay and JV are probably the core moving forward pretty much untradeable Lowry and Gay are pretty much a package deal now (pretty much family) one will see it as betryal and want out if one is traded away.

I have no idea where Fields fits into the future hes making too much money for a guy that doesnt have much offensive tools.
    regarding fields and the poison pill. in year 3 is he a 10 million expiring for other teams still or was that only if new York had of signed him?

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    With 17.5 pts. 4 rbs. 2.5 assts. Demar has more than earned his contract. If these numbers continue, it's a great contract. So this does not belong under 'negative' IMO.

Of the present starters, only Amir does not belong there. If this position is filled by a legitimate PF, Raptors have a solid starting unit. If this is done and Amir joins the 2nd unit(Fields, Ross, Bargnani) it's not a bad situation. Without a doubt the back up PG need will be addressed in the off season.

As much as Casey has earned his players respect, it's an area that needs to be looked at IMO and as far as cap space(or the lack of it) is concerned, it's where Bryan's creativity and expertise is critical and I don't see why he wont deliver.

If I sound optimistic it's because there's reason for it.

Leave a comment:

• torch19
    replied
    1. We have a 2 way player who has the tools to be an all-star in Rudy Gay. Quite frankly, his defense has been better than his offense which I blame on the fact that we are too isolation heavy, perimeter oriented team. It's like watching the Lakers of last year without inside presence. He needs to be a willing facilitator to take advantage of his skill set.

2. Demar can settle in on a secondary wing option. Another off season of improvement (hopefully, he works on his shot base, tightens his handle, gets more upper body strength and more awareness) and his $9.5 M salary becomes easier to swallow or at the very least, becomes a great trade chip. In my opinion, he is overpaid by $1 M, which isn't so bad to digest (assuming this year's production is where he will be next year). Keep in mind, Redick is getting $7 M and is looking for $10 M per year this coming off season.

3. Two bright spots in Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross. I believe that this off season will be big for the two young men in terms of developing their skill set. Ross has done enough this season for management to keep him in his rookie deal even though minutes will be tough for the rest of the season while the team aims to catch the Bucks. Valanciunas has been a joy to watch in terms of effort and enthusiasm. Both men need to hit up the gym with Amir; learn from the master.

4. Moving forward, Dwane Casey needs to hire some wise ass offensively brilliant assistant coach. His lack of creativity offensively is often exposed. Phil Jackson said in a recent interview:

"Basketball is a simple game. The goal is penetration, get the ball close to the basket, which is accomplished in 3 ways - dribbling, passing and offensive rebounding. You have to have a system that makes all things work. Pop [San Antonio's Gregg Popovich] has that. A lot of stuff he does represents the triangle offense. They flow into it a different way. Strong-side triangle. Pinch-post action."

Watching our recent stretch of games, I can safely conclude that our plays develop slowly, with only one off ball action happening to free up a Demar or simple isolation plays. Just as much as the team emphasizes of the defensive system, you need an offensive system in place.

5. Kyle Lowry has been a big reason as to why our defense has improved recently. He is tenacious and he goes in and grabs rebounds. Currently, he is being asked to carry on Jose's role of facilitating the offense. So far, he has done a horrible job which leads me to believe that the system is not suitable for Kyle.

6. Not much cap space seeing that we have about $20 M tied up to Kleiza, Bargnani and Fields which is not a good outlook moving forward. I feel that we need a skilled 2 way big man in the mix to be considered a legitimate playoff team.

7. Bargnani is pretty much dead weight. I hope he finds a little bit of dignity in him to show up the fans that booed him in order to increase his value. To his credit, he has been doing a good job at guarding the post and I've witnessed him rebound more in traffic.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    DeMar isnt a legit piece???? how so? Lowry, DeRozan Gay and JV are probably the core moving forward pretty much untradeable Lowry and Gay are pretty much a package deal now (pretty much family) one will see it as betryal and want out if one is traded away.

I have no idea where Fields fits into the future hes making too much money for a guy that doesnt have much offensive tools.
    I would guess that the primary core is Gay, Lowry, Ross and Valanciunas.

I'm guessing DeRozan (they're loaded at wing, his contract is huge, Gay is #1 wing and Ross is "untradeable") and Johnson (great 3rd big) are the secondary core.

Fields is on the bubble of the secondary core - his contract likely makes him untradeable, he's still young and if his shot improves, he'll cement his status as the primary wing defender.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DoNDaDDa
    replied
    Lowry/Fields/Demar/Bargs/Klieza should all be moved for legit pieces..T.Ross & Val need to become the studs were hoping for or the deals we do over the next season or two have to be blockbusters.. right now we have to much money invested in guys who consistantly dissapear for long periods through out a season.. Im not sure what the outlook is but as it sits now were a 1st round knockout team

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    I think the outlook has:

1) numerous reoccurring Gasol to Toronto talk
    2) numerous reoccurring Gasol to Minnesota with Lakers 3 team trade talk
    3) a few glimmers of brilliance from Bargnani over the next 28 games but continued lost handfuls of hair lost in RaptorLand
    4) the bar being lowered for Bargnani to become a solid 3rd string option - which he fails at
    5) Colangelo being given his 3rd year option
    6) a team as currently constructed capable of getting the 5/6 seed but one injury away from a lottery pick in the very near term but capable of more if JV becomes Noah-like or better (my money is on better).

I hope the outlook:

1) sees a valuable asset(s) returned for Bargnani somehow, someway... like a crazy 5 team deal with LAL, MIL, ATL, TOR, and MIN.
    2) sees JV turn in to his potential
    3) sees TR become half what Raptor fans think he will become (that would be a borderline all-star).

I fear the outlook

1) has Bargnani in a Raptor uniform until April 2015
    2) has the impossible happen and Bargnani continues to decline
    3) the Raptors holding numerous over paid contracts (DD, LF, AB).
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• akashsingh
    started a topic franchise outlook discussion

franchise outlook discussion

negative
    -no capspace in near future to take on large contracts

- bargnani=unmoveable as of right now derozan=hasn't lived up to contract, doesn't bring a unique skillset to the team, not an elite shooter or defender.

-not an elite team. decent chance we are stuck on that treadmill.

-amnesty can't save us.

positive
    -promising prospects ross, valanciunas

-good character players , locker room atmosphere

-coach has players respect

-at least bargnani isn't amare, looks like he is trying his hardest defensively.

-derozan has chance to live up to contract.

this is just off the top of my head. What is everyone else's thoughts on how far this franchise can go with this core of players. I want a good level headed discussion, no pity party, or tenforthewin delusional discussion, ok.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Thu Feb 21, 2013, 08:22 PM.
Working...
X