Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson and Bargnani

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I think Casey has fallen into the same trap that a lot of coaches fall into when dealing with a young team and the game plan is all about emphasizing hard work. It works great when you have very little talent on the team and all you want is everyone putting in 100% effort. But at some point you have to transition from that and move forward.

    Usually your GM will help you out a bit, by adding talent and getting rid of the ones who didn't work hard. Unfortunately as long as you have guys like Bargnani on the team you have to keep pushing the effort card, and that results in guys like AA getting way too many minutes.
    your pal,
    ebrian

    Comment


    • #17
      Landry needs to rework his shooting stroke, but he at least knows how to play smart. I see him and Ross coming off the bench together for Derozan and Gay.
      @RavNation

      Comment


      • #18
        Casey is driving me crazy with his substitutions
        @sweatpantsjer

        Comment


        • #19
          ebrian wrote: View Post
          Usually your GM will help you out a bit, by adding talent and getting rid of the ones who didn't work hard. Unfortunately as long as you have guys like Bargnani on the team you have to keep pushing the effort card, and that results in guys like AA getting way too many minutes.
          Really. Really? It's *always* about Bargnani, huh? Jaysus. Put down the pitchfork before it gets permanently stuck in your brain.

          Alan Anderson's chucking has nothing to do with Andrea Bargnani. Only Casey controls AA's minutes, and only AA controls when he decides it's his time to shoot (which, lately, seems to be "any time I'm on the floor").

          I understand that Anderson got playing time earlier because he showed some grit on defense, flexibility to 'sort-of' play 3 spots, and a good 3-point shot. I also understand Fields was hurt, and Ross is a rookie. In other words, he'd have been forced into action whether or not he was playing well.

          Now, I don't understand why he's getting so much burn, especially down the stretch of games. If you need defense, Fields is a MUCH better option. If you need offense, there's a deeper issue, because what I saw last night was AA and Lucas out there with Gay, Derozan, and Lowry, and those 3 "core" players went consecutive trips without even seeing the ball. That's ridiculous, and it's a pattern. Same thing happened against NY.

          The rotations lately are interesting to say the least. I don't blame AA for taking those shots -- it's what he was asked to do earlier in the year, and as others have mentioned, he's playing for his NBA future. I blame Casey for either thinking AA is a better option than Ross/Fields, or that he's calling plays for AA/Lucas when Derozan (the only guy who could even hit a layup last night) and Gay aren't even getting touches.

          Bargnani, for his part, sucked last night as much as anyone else, no more and arguably slightly less.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

          Comment


          • #20
            Anderson has single handedly won us a couple of games this year. Was huge when no one showed up in NY, he alone got us the W. He plays great D and is the toughness in the lockeroom. Comes up big when its a grind fest.

            Not really sure how you can not like Anderson, but, I guess everyone has their vision.

            Comment


            • #21
              BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
              Anderson has single handedly won us a couple of games this year. Was huge when no one showed up in NY, he alone got us the W. He plays great D and is the toughness in the lockeroom. Comes up big when its a grind fest.

              Not really sure how you can not like Anderson, but, I guess everyone has their vision.
              It's his shot selection. The contested 3s early in the clock are infuriating.

              Comment


              • #22
                The only knock on him is his FG% could improve, but other than that he has been a fine basketball player, and huge contributor to the teams success. Andrea has not.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  It's his shot selection. The contested 3s early in the clock are infuriating.
                  Well, these sorts of diamonds need to be polished... judging him as if we are paying him a brinks truck or have selected him in the top 10, is not fair. He has been quite the understated addition to this squad. Not easy to find players that can give so much for so little.

                  These are the sort of contracts teams need to know how to harness, in order to be competitive. I personally don't think there is much to complain about here.
                  Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:44 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                    The only knock on him is his FG% could improve, but other than that he has been a fine basketball player, and huge contributor to the teams success. Andrea has not.
                    For one andrea was injured came back rusty as hell. 2nd he hasn't really played much to say he can contribute. Stop being biased.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                      Well, these sorts of diamonds need to be polished... judging him as if we are paying him a brinks truck or have selected him in the top 10, is not fair. He has been quite the understated addition to this squad. Not easy to find players that can give so much for so little.

                      These are the sort of contracts teams need to know how to harness, in order to be competitive. I personally don't think there is much to complain about here.
                      I completely, wholeheartedly agree. I mean, the guy started this year as a projected 13th man, an afterthought, slotted somewhere between Dominic McGuire and Quincy Acy. Like you said, he has stepped in and almost singledhandedly won us games, on more than one occasion.

                      If you're pissed about last night, look no further than All-Star Rudy Gay shooting 1-11 thanks to a layup. Or "best player on the team" Bargnani once again looking like a timid deer in the headlights. Or our starting "all star caliber" point guard well, not playing point guard.

                      Or better yet, let's jump on the former D-Leaguer who scratched and clawed his way into 7th on our depth chart, for having a game where maybe he didn't quite look like 7th on the depth chart.
                      It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                        Well, these sorts of diamonds need to be polished... judging him as if we are paying him a brinks truck or have selected him in the top 10, is not fair. He has been quite the understated addition to this squad. Not easy to find players that can give so much for so little.

                        These are the sort of contracts teams need to know how to harness, in order to be competitive. I personally don't think there is much to complain about here.
                        If the guy behind him was only MP or D-Mac, then I would wholeheartedly agree. But, since hes taking time away from our 1st round draft pick, "untradeable" young wing player (who btw, has shown some pretty good signs when he has got time this year) .. thats when things change. If this team is going to go anywhere .. its going to be on the back of JV and TR becoming legit NBA players (not on the back of AA ..). The only way to do that is to improve their minutes dramatically.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                          The only knock on him is his FG% could improve, but other than that he has been a fine basketball player, and huge contributor to the teams success. Andrea has not.
                          Fg% is not the only knock. He doesn't make his teammates better as he's a ball stopper and ball hog. Never passes, takes ill-timed shots and doesn't take a lot of shots in the flow of the offence (not entirely his fault as there is little flow to begin with). I do love his passion and hustle but he's trying to gain his place in the NBA by going all-in on his offence. He is a role player and needs to play like one. When he's hot, he's really hot though. Can't deny that.
                          There's math, and everything else is debatable.

                          @clericalbeats

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                            Anderson has single handedly won us a couple of games this year. Was huge when no one showed up in NY, he alone got us the W. He plays great D and is the toughness in the lockeroom. Comes up big when its a grind fest.

                            Not really sure how you can not like Anderson, but, I guess everyone has their vision.
                            Play D and take shots you know you can make. He doesnt know when to stop, he is a volume shooter. Look for your shot dont force it.
                            @RavNation

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                We gotta give him the hook when he lays Eggs and sub in Acy for some nice high energy minutes.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X