No announcement yet.

Eric Gordon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon's defense I think is much like DeMar's in that it's pretty poor, so it would be a wash. Lowry though on the short side has good strength so it's not easy for bigger guards to post him up and he has pretty good speed to kee up with the quick guards as well. In the end good offense will always beat good defense. For example Sefolosha from OKC always guards Kobe, but Kobe still gets his points.

Gordon shines on offense though. He's a better 3 point shooter than both DeMar and Gay, so he'd be better at spacing the floor than DeMar, he can create for himself which again is one of those things that DD struggles with, and frankly he has a higher basketball IQ than DD. Only issue is his health.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      We need a player who can score on the low block with his back to the basket and draw double teams, opening the lane for our plethora of cutters. Moving DD for Gordon doesn't solve anything and the injury risk is too big.
      The opportunity for a big that can score in the post hasn't presented itself unless you want to take on the Boozer contract. The cap situation won't allow us to sign a stud PF, so trades are currently our only option to improve the team.

I feel the same way about Gordon's injury problem, but I felt the same way about Steph Curry, and K. Love is also one of those players which I'm comparing Gordon's history with injuries to. If you would trade a healthy Amir for K. Love, then why not DeMar for Gordon right?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        The opportunity for a big that can score in the post hasn't presented itself unless you want to take on the Boozer contract. The cap situation won't allow us to sign a stud PF, so trades are currently our only option to improve the team.

I feel the same way about Gordon's injury problem, but I felt the same way about Steph Curry, and K. Love is also one of those players which I'm comparing Gordon's history with injuries to. If you would trade a healthy Amir for K. Love, then why not DeMar for Gordon right?
        Cause DD isn't that much of a drop off from Gordon offensively. DD is a poor defender but his height make a different at times. Gordon is better lateral and has the same wingspan as DeMar(6'9" wingspan). That's pretty good for standing 6'3" 1/4 I'm shoes.

I like this cause DD and RG score from the same areas. DD has a midrange game, post game and just attacking the rim. Rudy does the same but he can stretch it out to the 3 when hot. EG it's simple a 3 or I'm getting to the rim. Which I find a pretty good fit next to Rudy. Gordon attack the rim fearlessly!
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I was thinking the other day if the Raptors don't make any moves in the off season the only way they really improve is if JV goes bananas and has a break out year next season. Just say he becomes the post player we were hoping for whenever we talk about flipping AB for Milsap, Jefferson etc.. Then you are going to need better shooters around him to take advantage of the double teams he will draw and for that purpose Gordon is already a better fit. Food for thought.

Comment

I was thinking the other day if the Raptors don't make any moves in the off season the only way they really improve is if JV goes bananas and has a break out year next season. Just say he becomes the post player we were hoping for whenever we talk about flipping AB for Milsap, Jefferson etc.. Then you are going to need better shooters around him to take advantage of the double teams he will draw and for that purpose Gordon is already a better fit. Food for thought.
            Not really food for thought with Gordon. We need shooters, just like Casey said at the end of last season(...), but you don't have to get overpaid high injury risk players who generally need the ball in their hand. For spacing we also need corner shooters, not players who like to have their ball in their hand, and if they shoot threes, it's from above the key.

The way we can improve besides getting better talent is by getter better fits on the team, getting (better) defensive systems in place, getting more consistency out of our players, etc.

Comment

I'm not saying we should go after overpaid or high injury risk players, but if you think we can sign the JJ Redick's of the NBA with whatever little we can offer them in the current financial position we are in, you might be fooling yourself. And also with no post presence I would prioritize getting a talented player whom can create for himself over a specialized player that stretches the floor for the ghost of Chris Bosh to take advantage of in the post.

Internal growth is one thing, and I'm sure there will be some of that, but as I mentioned in my previous post unless JV goes ape shit on the NBA next season we have more need of players that can create than ones whose sole job is to stand in the corner and hit 3's, imo.

Comment

You create space by spreading the floor for Gay and Lowry, just like they have to suck in defenders to get good 3pt opportunities. You don't have to go for the most popular players like reddick; there are plenty of players who can, more or less, fulfill that role.

Comment

I agree with what your saying but Gordon's 3 point shooting has decline every year( .389, .371, .364, .250, .325).
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

@ Soft euro

I don't see your points as a priority at this time as much as the need for star talent but that's just my opinion. To me it sounds like you are saying we should either build a supporting cast without the core on the roster first or that you think that the current core is good enough and that we are a better supporting cast away from competing.
                    Last edited by Mediumcore; Wed Apr 10, 2013, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I agree with what your saying but Gordon's 3 point shooting has decline every year( .389, .371, .364, .250, .325).
                      Last year (0,250) he played only a few games. This year he has played about half the games after being out for almost two years. If he ever gets healthy again for a longer stretch it wouldn't be weird if he gets to slightly above average again.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        I think you have to take into context his injuries as well as his motivation. Personally I think he needs a fresh start and you'll see those numbers come up again

Comment

I just don't see it happening. It's not a position of need. It's not that much of an upgrade either. We probably have the most durable wing combo in the league as is.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't see it happening either but that's not to say maybe it shouldn't. All I can say for sure is that rolling out the same team next year will likely result in the number of wins. Internal growth can only account for so much right?

Comment

In regards to the 3 point shooting. I can easily see Rudy go back to his .355 career average or even better next year. Kyle Lowry will be in his contract year so he'll stick to his .400 clip.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't remember him staying healthy for a full season, so I'll pass. But a healthy Eric Gordon ... he's pretty good. Unfortunately, he has glass ankles and knees. I compared him to Steph Curry last season; very talented WHEN healthy. Curry managed to get past his series of injuries but Gordon could not.
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X