Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012/2013 a year in review.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012/2013 a year in review.

    Landry Fields: I wish to god this man was not injured when we signed him to his above market value contract. I really feel that, depending on the direction of the team, we have a probable starter at the 2, who is crafty, intelligent, and a good to great defender. Watching him smother Carmelo gave me a very hetero man crush. His injury is unique, speaking from experience as I have the exact same god damn problem, nerve damage can take up to a year to get right (if it ever does). Alex McKechnie seems pretty sure that they can get him right by the start of training camp but even then I think it will take most of that season to restore his form. Ironically enough he will likely peak in the third year of his bloated contract which is right around when we will be deciding to keep or trade him. If I am wrong and he returns to form next season then Ross becomes redundant and a valuable trade chip.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: Keep

    Linas Kleiza: The Lithuanian Assassin is one of my favorite people/not player on the team. It is frustrating to watch him tear up international competition and then come here and collect dust on the bench. I wish him the best but perhaps being dominant in the Euro League is a better option for him than being whatever the opposite of dominant is on an NBA team.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: CUT (Trade if someone wants 4 million to come off the books)

    Terrence Ross:
    Explosive, streaky, good defender. I honestly don't see him achieving his potential here in Toronto. DeRozan has promised to have the long ball down by next season and if he carries through look to see Ross moved for a more veteran player by the deadline. It does make sense to hold onto him over the summer unless a can't miss opportunity arises.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: Keep (40%) Trade (60%)

    Quincy Acy: I'm biased, I see a great deal of potential in Acy. I see grit and grime and hustle. I see a SHIT load of mistakes on D. This man has not met a shot fake he wouldn't bite on. However the Raptors need to get OLDER. They don't need any more players that might,could, one day be, has the potential to, the sky is the limit for, given time to develop he could, or any other tags assigned to players that fuck up a lot.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: Trade

    Aaron Gray: What can I say here? I like him because there are no question marks. He will give you a big body that sets hard screens, grabs boards, and good character. Nobody is waiting for Aaron Gray to develop into anything. I like that about him.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: KEEP. As a third string center and 6 fouls to use, why the hell not?

    Amir Johnson: I love this man. His effort night in and night out is an example for the entire team to follow. Make no mistake about it Amir Johnson is a 3rd big. A true quality starting four in his place turns our bench into something to be feared. This is not a knock on the man as I still expect him to play starters minutes (30 - 35) This season has a been a great opportunity for him and he has shined in his role. However, if we want to get anywhere past the first round next season we need him backing up the PF and C so that we don't lose a beat when bench time comes. When you see a team like Miami and Ray Allen is the guy coming off the bench you think "Of ffs did Miami put in a cheat code or something". If we can start to create that vibe with our own bench great things will happen.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: KEEP!

    Andrea Bargnani: Next.

    Kyle Lowry: Between injuries, role changes, pace of game changes, offense changes, injuries to other players, having to attempt to make use of Bargnani (briefly) and being asked to adapt his game to suit those that have a difficult time getting their own shot (DeRozan/Gay/Amir/JV/Landry/ah hell most of the roster) I would say he has done the best he can. He is best when he makes teams pay for going under a screen and when he pushes the pace. I think he (more than anyone else) needs to use this summer to get in shape, get healthy, and put in some serious work with Rudy and DeMar. As for if we should hold onto him? That would depend entirely upon what was being offered. I do think at some point though we need to settle on a PG and quit porking the pig in that department. If Lowry is our guy, start assembling a roster that works best with his type (i.e. spot up 3pt threats and a point forward to help facilitate) if not, I'm not married to the idea of keeping him.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: KEEP (75%) TRADE (25%)

    Jonas Valanciunas:; 100% KEEP. If and when this current rebuild fails, JV and Amir are the only two players I am interested in keeping long term and building around. He is going to be special, and I plan on it being my great joy to watch him achieve that. He just makes the game fun to watch with his relentlessness.

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: KEEP!!!!

    DeMar DeRozan: His game has been discussed at length so I will just say this. Me wanting him around depends entirely if he can drain open threes when he gets back in September. If he is not shooting between 33 - 40% I say good day to you sir. DeMar desperately needs to a few other things at a high if not elite level to justify that contract. If he can't do the open three thing, I would still keep him around if he came back as a ferocious defender with better handles. But simply being above average in the mid range and inconsistent everywhere else is not a future I'm interested in. As a person, I think he is a great guy, good character, gym rat, high percentage free throw percentage, but he needs to take a step up and really excel in an area that isn't the "worst shot in basketball"

    KEEP/CUT or TRADE: Keep (50%) Trade (50%)

    Michael Pietrus: Cut/Don't Resign
    Sebastian Telfair: Resign for cheap if you can but don't even come close to breaking the bank on him
    John Lucas III: Keep him as a solid third string locker room guy
    Alan Anderson He will pick up a contract somewhere, has played up his value, not worth resigning

    RUDY FUCKING GAY MAN: Rudy is not used to this much attention. He is not used to this volume of shots. He is not used to being THE MAN. He has the talent to be better than Carmelo but not necessarily LeBron. He rebounds, gets steals and when engaged is a lockdown defender. Keeping him is in our best interest for two reasons:

    1.) 2015 20 million dollars expiring allowing the team to be built properly by the new GM ( I hope)

    2.) There is a chance is he plays up to his contact value, in which case we might as well keep him
    Last edited by thead; Mon Apr 15th, 2013, 04:06 PM.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

  • #2
    Nice write-up.

    The only disagreement I have is around the DeRozan/Ross logjam. I see Ross having more potential than you give him credit for and there being less liklihood of DeRozan developing in year #5 into what we collectively expect of him. Plus, given the Raptors salary cap situation (even if Bargnani & Kleiza were dumped) and CBA salary matching requirements for trades, I think it makes much more sense for the Raptors to dangle DeRozan as a trade chip instead of Ross.

    Assuming the Raps' 1st round pick does go to OKC this year, I still think there's potential to have a much improved roster in place by training camp.

    1. Amnesty Kleiza
    2. Trade DeRozan for a legit starting PF (ie: Millsap via S&T is my ideal somewhat realistic target, whereas Love is my pipedream)
    3. Trade Bargnani for something useful, either alone or packaged with DeRozan (if #2 were to happen, then Bargnani to Minnny for Williams & Ridnour would be my ideal somewhat realistic target)
    4. Let Anderson, Pietrus, Lucas and Telfair walk
    5. Combination of moves above enables full MLE to be available, if any holes remain following DeRozan/Bargnani trade(s)

    LINEUP
    C: Valanciunas, Gray
    PF: ??? (via trade), Johnson, Acy (if not traded)
    SF: Gay, ??? (either via trade or veteran free agent signing)
    SG: Fields, Ross
    PG: Lowry, ??? (either via trade or MLE free agent signing)

    Comment


    • #3
      My issue is I want to be done with potential. I want the Raptors to start acquiring known quantities. Examples

      Instead of Anderson who is a chucker, I want Shane Battier/Grant Hill - You know EXACTLY what you get with those two.
      Instead of Ross who might be a great 3pt shooter/wing, I want JJ Reddick who already is a great shooter and good defender
      Instead of Bargnani who could gel with and contribute, I want David West or Paul Millsap who will give you a consistent 16pts 8 boards and tough D.
      Instead of Acy who might turn into a Reggie Evans that can shoot free throws, I want Reggie Evans because he already does something extremely well.

      I think the Raptors need to start dealing with people that bring the same thing every game. How long are we going to swallow potential for before we realize that potential is just air and we are still hungry?

      On any given game Ross could erupt for 20 plus points, but I'd rather take 12 points every single game that I can count on.

      I don't want Rookies, I don't want draft picks, I don't want TPE's or STDs for that matter. Keep two roster spots for your guys that COULD become something and save the rest for guys that are ALREADY something
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

      Comment


      • #4
        Good review. I agree with just about everything. However, I would like to see Ross and Acy here next season, at least until the deadline like you suggested for Ross, unless of course something really good comes up. I'm not sold on Ross but would love to see him get more minutes next season just to see what he can do, he has potential, but lets not raise the bar too high this time. And I just love big guys that play like Acy. We definitely need a shooter at the 2, so I'm up for moving Derozan if he does not elevate that part of his game next year. I hope we don't have to pair him with Bargs to move the tall turd, but if that needs to be done than so be it. I'd like to see a more confidant and comfortable Lowry next year, he has been looking much better lately so lets hope that continues, we need that aggressiveness! Despite this seasons failures I think this team, with or without many changes, will be much better next season.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm not entirely opposed to keeping Ross but I think our team gets better without him. I think he gets better without us, and I think a team like Detroit/Utah/Atlanta/Phoenix gets better long term and has the minutes to burn while they rebuild.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

          Comment


          • #6
            Landry: Still the worst
            Kleiza: Oh god he's still here
            T Ross: Not Andre Drummond
            Acy: Has a Raptors team ever existed without one of these guys? As soon as Amir learned to really play ball you knew we had to get someone like Acy to replace him as our newest Junkyard dog. Popeye Jones and JYD would be proud of your hustle young'n.
            Gray: Good guy, does what he's there to do, great backup for JV.
            Amir: Went from the Junkyard to the penthouse. Took him 4 years longer than Pistons expected but looks like he's hitting his potential.
            Bargnani: Oh god he's still here? Amnesty his ass already.
            Lowry: I expected so much more, but I'm not gonna lie I still like him. He just can't be The Man on your team, he's got to be like the 3rd or 4th best player (not just scoring but overall) on your roster.
            JV: This kid is legit. Doubt he'll ever be Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing great but could be Alonzo, NBA Sabonis (post injuries), Vlade Divac good, which ain't not so bad.
            Demar: Count me as a convert. Wasn't a big fan of his but now I'm on board. He'll never be amazing but he's good enough. Still think we shouldn't have signed him until we saw what others would offer but I'm happy with him on the team.
            Gay: With him we can sneak into the playoffs next year which would be good for morale. No need to sign him after that. I'd say the smart move is to move him before the deadline but I don't think we're smart enough and I don't think other teams are dumb enough to offer anything worthwhile.
            Anderson: Dude is straight G. He'll prob go somewhere that offers him more than he's worth, but he's definitely a baller and his positives greatly outweigh his negatives no matter what the people on this site think.
            The Others: Who cares. Put em in a bag, tie it up tight and throw it in the river. If it was good enough for my kittens, it's good enough for John Lucas.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've always thought of Aaron Gray as just a piece of crap that's worth nothing, but the way you put, you're right. It was like I was expecting something better out of him. He's a good body out there.

              Really good write-up.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

              Comment


              • #8
                Letter N wrote: View Post
                The Others: Who cares. Put em in a bag, tie it up tight and throw it in the river. If it was good enough for my kittens, it's good enough for John Lucas.
                Sadly, I can only like a post once.

                I actually like Landry, but that contract makes me feel ill. Everything else your bang on from my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Why would you actively seek to trade Acy? He's a rare second-round pick that's panning out. You aren't going to get anything back for him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                    I actually like Landry, but that contract makes me feel ill. Everything else your bang on from my opinion.
                    Wait until next year for Landry. Then we'll see whether he's worth his contract or not.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Nice job. As for Fields, Alex McKechnie said they believe the injury started after his rookie year in New York, which explains the dip from rookie numbers. I believe the Raps will get that player back, but three NBA years smarter. Sign me up for that. Hard to say where Ross will be next year. I think Lowry is coming around. Knows the players better. Derozan, be interesting to see his start next year, as you say.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Id keep Ross.

                        A super-athletic 3 wing rotation of Gay - Derozan - Ross simply cant be given up on!!! Id feel we would make the same mistake of trading Tracy Mcgrady before he had a chance to peak with Carter. Remember, SG is a barren position these days, and Derozan - Ross alternating at the SG can be really potent seeing how they have diverse skills but are both incredibly athletic! I just feel that the SG position is not broken, and so we really shouldnt try to fix it!!

                        This is how we hold on to our core, but plug some holes in the process:
                        1) Bargnani, Alan anderson, 1st round pick --> Ridnour + Williams

                        2) Use MLE on Dalembert or Zaza

                        Lowry, Ridnour
                        Derozan, Ross
                        Gay, Williams, Fields
                        Amir, Acy
                        Valancuinas, Dalembert

                        PG position: Lowry and Ridnour compliment eachother and set out PG position for years to come
                        SG position: Derozan and Ross compliment eachother, both have ability to improve, lots of potential, lots of athleticism, will be strong position in most games
                        SF position: Gay and Williams, a star scorer and a young lottery pick. Williams can play both the 4 and the 3, will add scoring off the bench
                        PF position: Our weakest position, but filled with high quality glue players like Fields, Acy, and Amir. This position will do the intangibles at every rotation.
                        C position: Valancuinas is our Star, and Dalembert will bring veteran smarts and savvy.

                        Seeing how Lowry - Derozan - Gay - Amir - Valancuinas is one of the best defensive lineups in the league, our problem has been the bench.
                        A bench of Ridnour, Ross, Williams, Acy, Dalembert is formidable! Its a ton better than Lucas - Ross - Fields - Acy - Gray...
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          Id keep Ross.

                          A super-athletic 3 wing rotation of Gay - Derozan - Ross simply cant be given up on!!! Id feel we would make the same mistake of trading Tracy Mcgrady before he had a chance to peak with Carter. Remember, SG is a barren position these days, and Derozan - Ross alternating at the SG can be really potent seeing how they have diverse skills but are both incredibly athletic! I just feel that the SG position is not broken, and so we really shouldnt try to fix it!!

                          This is how we hold on to our core, but plug some holes in the process:
                          1) Bargnani, Alan anderson, 1st round pick --> Ridnour + Williams

                          2) Use MLE on Dalembert or Zaza

                          Lowry, Ridnour
                          Derozan, Ross
                          Gay, Williams, Fields
                          Amir, Acy
                          Valancuinas, Dalembert

                          PG position: Lowry and Ridnour compliment eachother and set out PG position for years to come
                          SG position: Derozan and Ross compliment eachother, both have ability to improve, lots of potential, lots of athleticism, will be strong position in most games
                          SF position: Gay and Williams, a star scorer and a young lottery pick. Williams can play both the 4 and the 3, will add scoring off the bench
                          PF position: Our weakest position, but filled with high quality glue players like Fields, Acy, and Amir. This position will do the intangibles at every rotation.
                          C position: Valancuinas is our Star, and Dalembert will bring veteran smarts and savvy.

                          Seeing how Lowry - Derozan - Gay - Amir - Valancuinas is one of the best defensive lineups in the league, our problem has been the bench.
                          A bench of Ridnour, Ross, Williams, Acy, Dalembert is formidable! Its a ton better than Lucas - Ross - Fields - Acy - Gray...
                          It is highly unlikely that a team will take Bargs and another contract. There just aren't as many teams carrying players with 10+ Mill contracts. If they can move Bargnani he will probably be traded alone, unless its multiple teams and an asset like Ross or Demar are added. That said, you can't trade a free agent. Pretty sure this was AA's last year which would have made him fairly decent trade bait if he was wanted.

                          Also, Centers rarely get MLE contracts. They either get close to minimum or 8+. I don't know why. I guess height and skill has value, and just height, has less. You could offer Dalembert the minimum I guess, but he doesn't have the greatest rep thanks to Team Canada. Zaza always interests me. Even though his production is going down he may be able to get one more 6, or 7 mill contract. If bidding goes even slightly above the MLE the Raps would lose on that one.

                          Honestly, I just want to see the players most of us want gone gone, and a real backup point guard who can occasionally guard sgs because he is taller than 180 cms! Let them start there. For bonus points a big who can post up. Do I care if they're a starter or bench player? No. How about a GM who brings in players not because they're the top scorers in Euroleague (Kleiza), or D League (every dleague player BC ever brought in) but instead found talent that fit needed roles!

                          You would think trading a guy, and finding 2 players would be easy, but if BC is still here next year, the Raps won't have draft picks for the next decade and every player on this team will be playing in the playoffs for other teams because he still has faith in Bargnani. He certainly wears the King's clothing well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            AA is less than 1 mil.. I wouldnt consider a minimum contract a burden! Its why I think he is likely to be packaged with Bargs and a pick!

                            Zaza and Dalembert are both on MLE contracts right now as I am aware (5-6 mil), I think it is very probable we can pick either one up for next season!

                            I think we are close to something special with this team. I think we need to strengthen around this team rather than shake it up any further. I want consistency... I am sick of having a new plan every single freaking season. Who remembers when the Young Guns were our future? Looooool...

                            I think we will only see more evolved basketball if we keep a core together for more than 3 seasons, WITH THEIR COACH. Then we can see more maturity, chemistry, and intelligence.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Letter N wrote: View Post
                              Landry: Still the worst
                              Kleiza: Oh god he's still here
                              T Ross: Not Andre Drummond
                              Acy: Has a Raptors team ever existed without one of these guys? As soon as Amir learned to really play ball you knew we had to get someone like Acy to replace him as our newest Junkyard dog. Popeye Jones and JYD would be proud of your hustle young'n.
                              Gray: Good guy, does what he's there to do, great backup for JV.
                              Amir: Went from the Junkyard to the penthouse. Took him 4 years longer than Pistons expected but looks like he's hitting his potential.
                              Bargnani: Oh god he's still here? Amnesty his ass already.
                              Lowry: I expected so much more, but I'm not gonna lie I still like him. He just can't be The Man on your team, he's got to be like the 3rd or 4th best player (not just scoring but overall) on your roster.
                              JV: This kid is legit. Doubt he'll ever be Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing great but could be Alonzo, NBA Sabonis (post injuries), Vlade Divac good, which ain't not so bad.
                              Demar: Count me as a convert. Wasn't a big fan of his but now I'm on board. He'll never be amazing but he's good enough. Still think we shouldn't have signed him until we saw what others would offer but I'm happy with him on the team.
                              Gay: With him we can sneak into the playoffs next year which would be good for morale. No need to sign him after that. I'd say the smart move is to move him before the deadline but I don't think we're smart enough and I don't think other teams are dumb enough to offer anything worthwhile.
                              Anderson: Dude is straight G. He'll prob go somewhere that offers him more than he's worth, but he's definitely a baller and his positives greatly outweigh his negatives no matter what the people on this site think.
                              The Others: Who cares. Put em in a bag, tie it up tight and throw it in the river. If it was good enough for my kittens, it's good enough for John Lucas.
                              Letter N?! Demar convert?! Wow!

                              Otherwise, I agree with everything, except for the Landry part. I'm a big fan of his IQ, defensive abilities, and ability to be effective w/o the basketball.
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X