X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    The thing with Field's contract, is that even though the total is 18.8 is that it is back loaded. We paid him 5mill this year, we'll pay him 5.3 mill, next year and then 8.5mill in his last season, which means that IF he somehow fixes his shot by the end of next year, than we'll only have slightly overpaid him. However, if what we already have, is what we get in his last year, than it's a terrible signing.

The money is the same over three years regardless of how it is paid out.

The cap hit every year is what matters most and that is $6.23M per.

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Nice job. As for Fields, Alex McKechnie said they believe the injury started after his rookie year in New York, which explains the dip from rookie numbers. I believe the Raps will get that player back, but three NBA years smarter. Sign me up for that. Hard to say where Ross will be next year. I think Lowry is coming around. Knows the players better. Derozan, be interesting to see his start next year, as you say.
    The thing with Field's contract, is that even though the total is 18.8 is that it is back loaded. We paid him 5mill this year, we'll pay him 5.3 mill, next year and then 8.5mill in his last season, which means that IF he somehow fixes his shot by the end of next year, than we'll only have slightly overpaid him. However, if what we already have, is what we get in his last year, than it's a terrible signing.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    Great write up Thead. I actually agree with everything you said, except I would keep Acy, keep Ross (only if no trades are available/no minutes available), and add the veterans replacing spots like Lucas III, Anderson, Pietrus, Kleiza, Bargnani.
    I'll make one in my opinion.

Kleiza - CUT: Amnesty him please, paying him however much money to sit on the bench (definitely not a little amount) is obviously unnecessary.

Fields - KEEP: Big fan. Big, big fan. Great defender, good offensive rebounder, moves well without the ball, and whilst his offense might ask for 4 on 5, he has great basketball IQ.

Ross - TRADE: I like Ross, athletic player, can shoot, solid defender. Except, he's got poor basketball IQ. Shot selection is weird, like Acy, jumps and bites on every little fake/hesitation there is. Bad body language at times, and honestly quite annoying when half the time he looks like a rookie (obviously is one, but MAKES it obvious). I say trade him, package him with Bargnani, and I think this team can get something solid in return.

Derozan - KEEP: Solid growth from him this season, a career year, and growing in every facet of the game. Like everyone knows, I'm quite the Demar fan, but has to improve the ball-handle, the lateral quickness and defense, continue to get physically stronger, and develop the corner 3.

Amir - KEEP: Not much to say why, easily the Raptors' best player this season.

Gray - KEEP: I actually think he's a solid back-up big. If this team adds that power forward next season, all the more better, because now he becomes that 4th, 5th big, and will play minutes against the bruisers/physically imposing centres, and Casey won't have to be forced to give him minutes against teams like Miami, New York, etc.

Acy - KEEP: I love this guy's hustle, intensity, effort, and hard work. This guy brings it every game. Makes some silly mistakes defensively, and jumps for every little thing, but once he gains a grasp on the defensive end, I think we can see maybe not a Reggie Evans, but a Jason Maxiell. (Amir compared Acy to a young Maxiell). Will be a solid 3rd string power forward, or even the 4th big.

Andrea - TRADE/CUT/RELEASE/WAIVE/TRASH BIN: I hated the booing from the ACC, definitely not called for, but it was easily justified. You could tell just by the way he walked on the court. Teams will definitely want him though, and I would package him along with Ross/Derozan for some type of big to fill that void at the power forward.

Lowry - KEEP: I'm still a believer. This guy is a triple-double threat on almost any given night, and now that it seems like he's found his way during this final stretch to end the season, keep him, and evaluate him next season, as his contract year is next. Next year would be the perfect time to make a decision, unless BC is somehow able to draft/trade for Trey Burke.

Gay - KEEP: Probably the best all-around wing player we've had since Carter, not saying he's as good, but the best since we've had SINCE. Good rebounder, can find the open man, obviously not used to the shots and spotlight, but he'll adapt, he's got too. Also, he's a terrific defender when he puts his mind to it. Tighten up the handle, get stronger, get healthy, and continue to work on the shooting stroke. He's got one of the prettiest shooting touches in the NBA, but he's not shooting like it.

Pietrus, Anderson, Telfair, Lucas. These guys can go. I don't mind re-signing Pietrus mainly as a veteran, and maybe Telfair as a 3rd stringer, but Lucas and Anderson I DO NOT want to see back in a Raptors uniform.

Leave a comment:

• blackjitsu
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    AA is less than 1 mil.. I wouldnt consider a minimum contract a burden! Its why I think he is likely to be packaged with Bargs and a pick!

Zaza and Dalembert are both on MLE contracts right now as I am aware (5-6 mil), I think it is very probable we can pick either one up for next season!

I think we are close to something special with this team. I think we need to strengthen around this team rather than shake it up any further. I want consistency... I am sick of having a new plan every single freaking season. Who remembers when the Young Guns were our future? Looooool...

I think we will only see more evolved basketball if we keep a core together for more than 3 seasons, WITH THEIR COACH. Then we can see more maturity, chemistry, and intelligence.
    1. AA is a free agent...I'd be surprised if he makes less than say 2 mill next year.

2. Fair enough on Zaza and Dalembert. I guess the new cap system may help us there.

3. The problem with BC is that he can't stick to a single plan. You want an actual plan? Replace BC.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    I dont think we can trade AA hes a free agent right? unless we do Sign and trade.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Landry: Still the worst
    Kleiza: Oh god he's still here
    T Ross: Not Andre Drummond
    Acy: Has a Raptors team ever existed without one of these guys? As soon as Amir learned to really play ball you knew we had to get someone like Acy to replace him as our newest Junkyard dog. Popeye Jones and JYD would be proud of your hustle young'n.
    Gray: Good guy, does what he's there to do, great backup for JV.
    Amir: Went from the Junkyard to the penthouse. Took him 4 years longer than Pistons expected but looks like he's hitting his potential.
    Bargnani: Oh god he's still here? Amnesty his ass already.
    Lowry: I expected so much more, but I'm not gonna lie I still like him. He just can't be The Man on your team, he's got to be like the 3rd or 4th best player (not just scoring but overall) on your roster.
    JV: This kid is legit. Doubt he'll ever be Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing great but could be Alonzo, NBA Sabonis (post injuries), Vlade Divac good, which ain't not so bad.
    Demar: Count me as a convert. Wasn't a big fan of his but now I'm on board. He'll never be amazing but he's good enough. Still think we shouldn't have signed him until we saw what others would offer but I'm happy with him on the team.
    Gay: With him we can sneak into the playoffs next year which would be good for morale. No need to sign him after that. I'd say the smart move is to move him before the deadline but I don't think we're smart enough and I don't think other teams are dumb enough to offer anything worthwhile.
    Anderson: Dude is straight G. He'll prob go somewhere that offers him more than he's worth, but he's definitely a baller and his positives greatly outweigh his negatives no matter what the people on this site think.
    The Others: Who cares. Put em in a bag, tie it up tight and throw it in the river. If it was good enough for my kittens, it's good enough for John Lucas.
    Letter N?! Demar convert?! Wow!

Otherwise, I agree with everything, except for the Landry part. I'm a big fan of his IQ, defensive abilities, and ability to be effective w/o the basketball.

Leave a comment:

• enlightenment
    replied
    AA is less than 1 mil.. I wouldnt consider a minimum contract a burden! Its why I think he is likely to be packaged with Bargs and a pick!

Zaza and Dalembert are both on MLE contracts right now as I am aware (5-6 mil), I think it is very probable we can pick either one up for next season!

I think we are close to something special with this team. I think we need to strengthen around this team rather than shake it up any further. I want consistency... I am sick of having a new plan every single freaking season. Who remembers when the Young Guns were our future? Looooool...

I think we will only see more evolved basketball if we keep a core together for more than 3 seasons, WITH THEIR COACH. Then we can see more maturity, chemistry, and intelligence.

Leave a comment:

• blackjitsu
    replied
    enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Id keep Ross.

A super-athletic 3 wing rotation of Gay - Derozan - Ross simply cant be given up on!!! Id feel we would make the same mistake of trading Tracy Mcgrady before he had a chance to peak with Carter. Remember, SG is a barren position these days, and Derozan - Ross alternating at the SG can be really potent seeing how they have diverse skills but are both incredibly athletic! I just feel that the SG position is not broken, and so we really shouldnt try to fix it!!

This is how we hold on to our core, but plug some holes in the process:
    1) Bargnani, Alan anderson, 1st round pick --> Ridnour + Williams

2) Use MLE on Dalembert or Zaza

Lowry, Ridnour
    Derozan, Ross
    Gay, Williams, Fields
    Amir, Acy
    Valancuinas, Dalembert

PG position: Lowry and Ridnour compliment eachother and set out PG position for years to come
    SG position: Derozan and Ross compliment eachother, both have ability to improve, lots of potential, lots of athleticism, will be strong position in most games
    SF position: Gay and Williams, a star scorer and a young lottery pick. Williams can play both the 4 and the 3, will add scoring off the bench
    PF position: Our weakest position, but filled with high quality glue players like Fields, Acy, and Amir. This position will do the intangibles at every rotation.
    C position: Valancuinas is our Star, and Dalembert will bring veteran smarts and savvy.

Seeing how Lowry - Derozan - Gay - Amir - Valancuinas is one of the best defensive lineups in the league, our problem has been the bench.
    A bench of Ridnour, Ross, Williams, Acy, Dalembert is formidable! Its a ton better than Lucas - Ross - Fields - Acy - Gray...
    It is highly unlikely that a team will take Bargs and another contract. There just aren't as many teams carrying players with 10+ Mill contracts. If they can move Bargnani he will probably be traded alone, unless its multiple teams and an asset like Ross or Demar are added. That said, you can't trade a free agent. Pretty sure this was AA's last year which would have made him fairly decent trade bait if he was wanted.

Also, Centers rarely get MLE contracts. They either get close to minimum or 8+. I don't know why. I guess height and skill has value, and just height, has less. You could offer Dalembert the minimum I guess, but he doesn't have the greatest rep thanks to Team Canada. Zaza always interests me. Even though his production is going down he may be able to get one more 6, or 7 mill contract. If bidding goes even slightly above the MLE the Raps would lose on that one.

Honestly, I just want to see the players most of us want gone gone, and a real backup point guard who can occasionally guard sgs because he is taller than 180 cms! Let them start there. For bonus points a big who can post up. Do I care if they're a starter or bench player? No. How about a GM who brings in players not because they're the top scorers in Euroleague (Kleiza), or D League (every dleague player BC ever brought in) but instead found talent that fit needed roles!

You would think trading a guy, and finding 2 players would be easy, but if BC is still here next year, the Raps won't have draft picks for the next decade and every player on this team will be playing in the playoffs for other teams because he still has faith in Bargnani. He certainly wears the King's clothing well.

Leave a comment:

• enlightenment
    replied
    Id keep Ross.

A super-athletic 3 wing rotation of Gay - Derozan - Ross simply cant be given up on!!! Id feel we would make the same mistake of trading Tracy Mcgrady before he had a chance to peak with Carter. Remember, SG is a barren position these days, and Derozan - Ross alternating at the SG can be really potent seeing how they have diverse skills but are both incredibly athletic! I just feel that the SG position is not broken, and so we really shouldnt try to fix it!!

This is how we hold on to our core, but plug some holes in the process:
    1) Bargnani, Alan anderson, 1st round pick --> Ridnour + Williams

2) Use MLE on Dalembert or Zaza

Lowry, Ridnour
    Derozan, Ross
    Gay, Williams, Fields
    Amir, Acy
    Valancuinas, Dalembert

PG position: Lowry and Ridnour compliment eachother and set out PG position for years to come
    SG position: Derozan and Ross compliment eachother, both have ability to improve, lots of potential, lots of athleticism, will be strong position in most games
    SF position: Gay and Williams, a star scorer and a young lottery pick. Williams can play both the 4 and the 3, will add scoring off the bench
    PF position: Our weakest position, but filled with high quality glue players like Fields, Acy, and Amir. This position will do the intangibles at every rotation.
    C position: Valancuinas is our Star, and Dalembert will bring veteran smarts and savvy.

Seeing how Lowry - Derozan - Gay - Amir - Valancuinas is one of the best defensive lineups in the league, our problem has been the bench.
    A bench of Ridnour, Ross, Williams, Acy, Dalembert is formidable! Its a ton better than Lucas - Ross - Fields - Acy - Gray...

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Nice job. As for Fields, Alex McKechnie said they believe the injury started after his rookie year in New York, which explains the dip from rookie numbers. I believe the Raps will get that player back, but three NBA years smarter. Sign me up for that. Hard to say where Ross will be next year. I think Lowry is coming around. Knows the players better. Derozan, be interesting to see his start next year, as you say.

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I actually like Landry, but that contract makes me feel ill. Everything else your bang on from my opinion.
    Wait until next year for Landry. Then we'll see whether he's worth his contract or not.

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    Why would you actively seek to trade Acy? He's a rare second-round pick that's panning out. You aren't going to get anything back for him.

Leave a comment:

• blackjitsu
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    The Others: Who cares. Put em in a bag, tie it up tight and throw it in the river. If it was good enough for my kittens, it's good enough for John Lucas.
    Sadly, I can only like a post once.

I actually like Landry, but that contract makes me feel ill. Everything else your bang on from my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• isaacthompson
    replied
    I've always thought of Aaron Gray as just a piece of crap that's worth nothing, but the way you put, you're right. It was like I was expecting something better out of him. He's a good body out there.

Really good write-up.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    Landry: Still the worst
    Kleiza: Oh god he's still here
    T Ross: Not Andre Drummond
    Acy: Has a Raptors team ever existed without one of these guys? As soon as Amir learned to really play ball you knew we had to get someone like Acy to replace him as our newest Junkyard dog. Popeye Jones and JYD would be proud of your hustle young'n.
    Gray: Good guy, does what he's there to do, great backup for JV.
    Amir: Went from the Junkyard to the penthouse. Took him 4 years longer than Pistons expected but looks like he's hitting his potential.
    Bargnani: Oh god he's still here? Amnesty his ass already.
    Lowry: I expected so much more, but I'm not gonna lie I still like him. He just can't be The Man on your team, he's got to be like the 3rd or 4th best player (not just scoring but overall) on your roster.
    JV: This kid is legit. Doubt he'll ever be Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing great but could be Alonzo, NBA Sabonis (post injuries), Vlade Divac good, which ain't not so bad.
    Demar: Count me as a convert. Wasn't a big fan of his but now I'm on board. He'll never be amazing but he's good enough. Still think we shouldn't have signed him until we saw what others would offer but I'm happy with him on the team.
    Gay: With him we can sneak into the playoffs next year which would be good for morale. No need to sign him after that. I'd say the smart move is to move him before the deadline but I don't think we're smart enough and I don't think other teams are dumb enough to offer anything worthwhile.
    Anderson: Dude is straight G. He'll prob go somewhere that offers him more than he's worth, but he's definitely a baller and his positives greatly outweigh his negatives no matter what the people on this site think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X