Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HoopsWorld.com: Should the Raptors fire Bryan Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balls of Steel
    replied
    Can we add Phil Jackson to the list?

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    ebrian wrote: View Post
    I would like to know.. if there has been, in the history of the NBA, another General Manager that kept his job for 7 years with the following (or worse record):

- 2 playoff appearances
    - zero playoff series won
    - 240-318 record, 0.430 winning percentage
    current:

John Hammond/Milwaukee
    - 2 playoff appearances
    - zero series won
    - 238-316, .427

Geoff Petrie/Sacramento
    - 0 playoff appearances
    - 0 playoff series won
    - 187-371, .335

Ernie Grunfield/Washington
    - 2 playoff appearances
    - 0 playoff series won
    - 201- 357, .360

Billy King/Brooklyn-NJ Nets
    - 2 playoff appearances (including this year)
    - 0 playoff series wins (might change soon)
    - 216-342, .387

One more year and Rod Higgins/Charlotte and Joe Dumars/Detroit joins the illustrious club.

Historically, I'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Risk/Reward

They should fire him if they feel there is a better option available and likely interested. There is an element of risk with any change but at some point if the risk makes sense then they should get it done.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Apr 23, 2013, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    Only Elgin Baylor comes to mind.

Leave a comment:

• ebrian
    replied
    I would like to know.. if there has been, in the history of the NBA, another General Manager that kept his job for 7 years with the following (or worse record):

- 2 playoff appearances
    - zero playoff series won
    - 240-318 record, 0.430 winning percentage

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Ryan Wolstat with a scathing article on Colangelo.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/22...lian-albatross

The truth hurts.

Leave a comment:

• RaptorFanatic01
    replied
    Colangelo and Casey not going anywhere

According to hoopshype Bryan Colangelo and Dwane Casey arent going anywhere. MLSE has no intention of letting them go.
    http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/toronto_raptors

Leave a comment:

• isaacthompson
    replied
    Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
    I don't think that's what's happening with the Leafs(Carlisle is a good Coach but Nonis is clearly in charge), but if they fire Colangelo and let Casey run the team the way he wanted, it'll be suicidal.
    AA will play the whole game.

And then some.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Right after they fired Burke and let the coach run the team the way he wanted.
    I don't think that's what's happening with the Leafs(Carlisle is a good Coach but Nonis is clearly in charge), but if they fire Colangelo and let Casey run the team the way he wanted, it'll be suicidal.

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean but 'not really'. Leafs are making the play-offs for the first time since 2004(if I'm right).
    Right after they fired Burke and let the coach run the team the way he wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    Letter N wrote: View Post
    Worked well enough for the Leafs
    Maybe I don't understand what you mean but 'not really'. Leafs are making the play-offs for the first time since 2004(if I'm right).

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I don't think any player is worth max money UNLESS they can be built around as a franchise cornerstone. That's one of the factors that I believe separates a 'max' player from a 'good player who's well paid'.
    In most cases, you're right but there are some players who are in between 'good players' and 'franchise players'. Unfortunately these guys command max money. Bosh, Amare, Gay are some that come to mind. From a GM's point of view, if there's one guy of the three named I'd have on my team even for max money, it's Bosh.

Leave a comment:

• TRX
    replied
    special1 wrote: View Post
    You have to be optimistic that MANY Gm's can't be worse than 5 straight lottery seasons.....EVEN IF...you have to fire them quickly! You won't get a stud GM while being afraid to get rid of your horrible GM. I'm not at all afraid of the future (new GM). I'm actually scared that BC will set this franchise back more than 3 years before he leaves!

I have nightmares that when he's done with us..... our situation will be soooo bad that no real GM will want to come here. I would be fine in handing the reigns to Stefanski for now UNTIL we can fine a permanent replacement. Who knows.....maybe Ed Stefanski can be that guy.

I'm currently on the "FIRE BC IMMEDIATELY!!!" bandwagon
    Just to be clear, I would love to see Colangelo gone as well. I just think you cannot hire just anybody to replace him. You really, really have to be diligent and find a GM that fits instead of settling for just anybody because "they cannot be worse than Colangelo". Seems like an obvious statement, I know, but I think a lot of fans and writers ask "Should Colangelo be fired?", answer yes then pat themselves on the back... but they forget to ask "Who should be hired next?".

Leave a comment:

• Letter N
    replied
    I have been a sports fan particularly of Toronto teams and I've been hearing "anybody can do a better job than JP, John Furgn Jr, Burke, Babcock and so on and so forth" for a song time. In fact I've said it myself at times. The truth though is that 'it's easier said than done'.
    Worked well enough for the Leafs

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    ebrian wrote: View Post
    I know what you mean by what you're saying, but I'm not sure it applies to the Toronto Raptors. This isn't like where you have Albert Einstein writing out a mathematical proof and you don't want to interrupt his work. You're worried that if you replace him halfway, no matter how brilliant the next guy you bring in is, he might not be able to finish the work.

In the example of the Toronto Raptors, there is no "b" option as seen above. There is only "a". You can bring in a chimpanzee and it will most likely do a better job at completing the task than Bryan Colangelo.
    Legally it does not apply to the Toronto Raptors or any body for that matter. Morally it does. It's not about being worried or afraid of replacing BC, it's about being fair. I don't know what was spoken between Peddie and BC when the extension was given but it's safe to assume that the following was MLSE's stand- if reasonable improvement in the 'rebuilding' was shown and it seemed like the team was on the verge of making the play-offs, his option would be picked up. I think the team could be a little better but where it stands is not bad and he deserves another year.

I have been a sports fan particularly of Toronto teams and I've been hearing "anybody can do a better job than JP, John Furgn Jr, Burke, Babcock and so on and so forth" for a song time. In fact I've said it myself at times. The truth though is that 'it's easier said than done'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X