Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Here's what I wonder... if Kyle Lowry does walk, what the heck do you do? Do you move Demar and start the tank or do you try to retool?
    I'm not sure they'd need to move DeMar to tank. I think Lowry is too important for this team and tanking would happen naturally.

I guess Ujiri could try going after Isaiah Thomas. Given the Kings' proximity to tax line, he's a viable target. If that doesn't work, just stand pat. If someone overpays for DeMar (something like the Hornets overpaid for Jrue Holiday), trade him. Otherwise go into the season with him and see what happens. Most likely a colossal shit storm of a season.

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    Here's what I wonder... if Kyle Lowry does walk, what the heck do you do? Do you move Demar and start the tank or do you try to retool?

Leave a comment:

• wallz
    replied
    BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Champions of Our Hearts 2014.
    If they get to the second round, no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    Champions of Our Hearts 2014.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Could a combination of Lowry, DD, Ross, Valanciunas, Vasquez, Patterson all in their prime, + draft pick this year contend for a championship:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    If the title they are contending for is that of being nice guys, that rep Toronto to the fullest, then they've already got it locked up!

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Depends on the bench!
    LeBron, Paul, and Aaron Gray.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Could a combination of Lowry, DD, Ross, Valanciunas, Vasquez, Patterson all in their prime, + draft pick this year contend for a championship:

Depends on the bench!

Leave a comment:

• JordanMariam14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    BigCamB wrote: View Post
    Yeh, trading for Byron Mullens really put icing on the cake to their epic tank job.
    I think Philly are at step 11 though now

Step 11: endure 20 consecutive losses at an average margin of 19.1 PPG.
    We had our own version of Mullens at the start of the season. MU traded him away for 3 draft picks though

Leave a comment:

• BigCamB
    replied
    Yeh, trading for Byron Mullens really put icing on the cake to their epic tank job.
    I think Philly are at step 11 though now

Step 11: endure 20 consecutive losses at an average margin of 19.1 PPG.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    The grand daddy of tanking threads deserves a bump!

Bill Simmons presents 10 steps to tanking perfection.

See where Raps went wrong!

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nb...ng-perfection/

Step 1: Trade your best player for future assets if you don’t feel like he can be the best player on a championship team.

Step 2: Don’t sign anyone who can help you, even if it means dipping under the salary-cap floor and going down as the cheapest NBA team ever.

Step 3: Don’t get discouraged if you win early.

Step 4: If you can’t get fair value for your trade assets, trade them anyway.

Step 5: If you can affect the playoff race just to be dicks, even better.

Step 6: Trade for Byron Mullens.

Step 7: Come up with a fake injury for any good player and/or milk the recovery time of any existing injury.

Step 8: Give tons of minutes to young players who aren’t ready for them, and come up with as many doomed/goofy/ridiculous lineups as possible.

Step 9: Make a big deal about discounting next season’s tickets as a thank-you to your loyal season-ticket holders who paid full price for an 82-game season that you just threw away.

Step 10: Weigh the benefits of self-sabotage against the long-term damage to your most valuable asset.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And if the Raps win their next 4 you'll hear them again while the tanks grind to a halt - lol

Everyone is swinging their d!ck when very recent history shows they are right. Remember after the Philly game? Utah?

This is just a bad team - bottom line.
    I now have a new visual for how Raps fans watch games from home. Thanks Matt

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post
    Just re-read a bunch of this thread.

The "keep it together" crowd has gotten a lot quieter in recent weeks.

And if the Raps win their next 4 you'll hear them again while the tanks grind to a halt - lol

Everyone is swinging their d!ck when very recent history shows they are right. Remember after the Philly game? Utah?

This is just a bad team - bottom line.

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    Just re-read a bunch of this thread.

The "keep it together" crowd has gotten a lot quieter in recent weeks.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Some good quotes from here to add fuel to the tank vs. no tank debate:

In most cases, the draft lottery isn’t a quick fix. It’s quicksand, grabbing an organization by the foot and slowly sucking it down.

So fans who think the Bulls should tank the season and get in the lottery for a stellar draft class in June should think again. It’s a good concept on paper that often leads to long suffering.

Of the 30 NBA teams, 20 have spent at least four consecutive seasons in the lottery since 1990. Thirteen have spent five or more years in the lottery. Once a team enters the lottery in back-to-back seasons, the average stay is about 4.2 years.
    Even general manager Gar Forman acknowledged that this upcoming draft could fall under the ‘‘special’’ label.

“There is a lot of talk about it, but you can never . . . people say good draft, bad draft, strong draft, deep draft, top-heavy, whatever,’’ Forman said. “Our feeling is that if you do your work, there’s always value in the draft, always opportunities there.’’

That’s what the Bulls have counted on recently, whether it was landing Taj Gibson with the 26th pick in the 2009 draft or Jimmy Butler with the 30th pick in 2011. Even rookie Tony Snell, who was the 20th pick last June, is paying dividends lately, starting for an injured Butler.

The Bulls’ mentality is they can land quality starters and rotation guys and not have to be in the lottery to do it.

That’s why Forman and executive vice president John Paxson covet draft picks and also understand that prying picks from other organizations isn’t easy anymore.

“You do get that sense,’’ Forman said. “It’s hard for me to speak on every team, but from the Bulls’ standpoint, we have always put great value in the draft and draft picks. Historically, it’s very rare that we trade a first-round draft pick because we value getting good young players into our organization and we value scouting and feel like we’ve had some level of success, not only when we’ve drafted high but when we’ve drafted in the 20s.

“So there’s always great value in draft picks.’’
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...for-bulls.html

I find this line of thinking very appropriate..... once you have your franchise talent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X