Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rebuild or Re-tool? (thread merge in post #358)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Fully wrote: View Post
    Oh, and $20 bucks says that the text Doug Smith got asking about how it went was from BC.
    Or do you think the people Doug considers friends and buddies in other front offices and does he not think they might have an agenda or ulterior motives with sending him their "thoughts"?

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    “We’re going to build a team the right way,” Ujiri said. “If it takes time doing that, hey, it’s what we have to do. But we will build the team the right way. Sometimes, it’s going to take patience. Sometimes we’ll go through hard times. After we’ve analyzed this team, you guys will figure out the direction (we’re) going.”

It sounded very much like a man preparing a fan base for some lean times.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/05...n-teams-future
    The first part of this quote is interesting as well.

If you read between some lines:

you have Leiweke saying the team is not good enough which was in direct contrast to Colangelo - and of course now Colangelo runs the business side of things.

then you have Ujiri saying we're going to build the right way - which would imply this team is not built "right".

I'm starting to get the feeling that JV (and maybe a couple of other players) is the down payment on a brand new BMW while the rest of the roster is the wreck on blocks in the garage that is going to be stripped for parts and sold off to make the payments on the Bimmer.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Doug Smith offering supposed insights from around the league on Ujiri's press conference:

I personally think the bold is short sighted and dangerous; it also ignores that the whole front office has pretty much been fired. Not sure how much more drastic the changes can be at this time. In the attempt to "win now" how does Toronto do that? What pieces are they going to trade to bring back enough to immediately compete for a championship? What cap space or flexibility do they have to add pieces to compete for a championship? The same people who lack patience and want to win right now are the same people who will grow tired and frustrated with being a first round exit year after year. Whether you tank (like OKC) or slowly build (like Indiana), it requires patience. If you go full with reckless abandon to win now - money be damned - I don't think you need to look any farther than the JailBlazers teams of the late 90's/early 2000's or the Isiah Thomas Knicks teams of the early 2000's to see what can and likely will go wrong.
    Good grief DS is such a goofball. If anyone has followed MU's time in Denver at least will realize that he is not given to bombastic chants or rash decision making. As Slaw mentioned above PhdSteve on the podcast yesterday gave out pretty much the same vibe...DS managed to actually embellish it further. He still hasnt learned that you may think certain strategies/thoughts but some are best left unsaid....most times. Are other GMs such dumb fucks that they rely on introductory pressers to glean true intentions of a fellow gm? And one other aspect of Ujiri's personality....and I dont mean to generalize...that his heritage/background as an African does not typically lend to public bombast. I have met many Africans thru the years and there is something about the general ethos of one from that continent that is humble and giving. It maybe because of their colonial history where they had so much stripped from them but it may also be the hierarchical nature of tribal culture which is deferential....until one becomes the "chief".

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    If you want breadcrumbs then look at the types of players he brought into Denver. You're right, actions are telling.

Moving on to Matt:

I personally think the bold is short sighted and dangerous; it also ignores that the whole front office has pretty much been fired.
    Ujiri made his bold moves as a defensive measure, he was pushed into a corner. Bold can be good as long as it's not a stupid move (ie: high risk, low reward). I think Ujiri was hired because of his eye for talent and his will to not buckle in his environment.

In the attempt to "win now" how does Toronto do that? What pieces are they going to trade to bring back enough to immediately compete for a championship? What cap space or flexibility do they have to add pieces to compete for a championship? The same people who lack patience and want to win right now are the same people who will grow tired and frustrated with being a first round exit year after year.
    Its impossible for those fans to get what they want. A sharp guy like Ujiri isn't going to bring in aged stars to assemble a two or three year window at a ring. That's too shortsighted and probably unrealistic for reasons you've mentioned.

Whether you tank (like OKC) or slowly build (like Indiana), it requires patience. If you go full with reckless abandon to win now - money be damned - I don't think you need to look any farther than the JailBlazers teams of the late 90's/early 2000's or the Isiah Thomas Knicks teams of the early 2000's to see what can and likely will go wrong.
    No doubt.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Colangelo was good in general on the showing card bit. He botched Bargnani though. I think he mishandled that entire situation from start to finish.
    Colangelo always gave you hints though. From the moment he showed up, he would always leave enough bread crumbs so people knew what he was thinking. Not specifics, but enough vague comments to put you on the right general path.

I suspect that Ujiri is going to be even less revealing than that, which is going to frustrate media and fans who want constant information, 24/7/365.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X