DeMar DeRozan - Year 4 Ascension To Stardom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Calgary will you ever be on the "Maybe DeRozan is a keeper?" Wagon what is that going to take? for you to drink the kool-aid? DeRozan would be easier to move if Ross was ready or Fields could do anything on offense.
    I used to have the same arguments in favor of Bargnani, that a lot of people are now having in favor of DeRozan. They both have fundamental weaknesses in their games for ideal players at their position. There were positives and potential with Bargnani, just like there are for DeRozan. Nowhere have I ever said that DeRozan was a bad player or a bad person. I like the kid, but I just don't feel he is going to develop into a star player who should be a primary option, worthy of making $9.5M+.

I think he still has great value around the league, even with his new contract kicking in next season. I just think it's in the team's long-term best interest to cash-in while he's at the peak of his value. Not only is it while he's at the peak of his trade value, but while the team is set at his position (wings - Gay, Ross and Fields) and in dire need to address other positions (starting PF, backup PG, veteran/3pt shooting depth), without having any real ability to do so (available assets: Bargnani, Kleiza, Fields, 2014 2nd round pick and future 1st round picks after the 2013 draft, no cap space and not even a full MLE until Kleiza is amnestied).

I've also never said that Fields and/or Ross are as good as DeRozan is now, nor that they will ever be. However, I have argued that they could sufficiently replace him since the combination of the addition of a better offensive starting PF, an improved Valanciunas, a comfortable Gay with corrected vision and a healthy Lowry who can play to his natural offensive strengths more often, would not require the SG to score as much as DeRozan was counted on to score. It's all about 'fit', especially with Fields, assuming his rehab enables his shot to return (a risk I know, but he won't need to fully replace the 18 PPG that DeRozan provided by himself and I don't think 8-10 efficient PPG would be asking too much). That doesn't take into account improvements and consistency that we should see in Ross next season. Plus, that doesn't even account for additional moves that could be made to round out the wing rotation - for example, I think using some/all of the MLE to sign a guy like Dunleavy to be the 4th wing would be a great move, providing veteran leadership, solid defense and above-average 3pt shooting. I think then that a Fields/Ross/Dunleavy mix would easily be able to replace everything that DeRozan brought to the table.

Considering the quality of talent that has been mentioned as possible returns for DeRozan (ie: Love, Millsap, Horford, J.Smith, etc...), I can't see how that can be perceived as anything but a compliment to DeRozan. It just so happens that the Raptors are loaded on the wings (Gay is also still young, more talented then DeRozan and likely far less tradeable), have several holes to fill (hoping Bargnani trade can at least help address the backup PG spot) and are nearly at the luxury tax level already, so it's a bit of a 'perfect storm' in terms of DeRozan becoming trade bait.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri May 31, 2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Derozan is a better player now than Bargnani was in his fourth year though... that's for sure.
      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Anyone know why there isn't a new video?

Comment

It is interesting reading these old comments on DD. His contract now seems like a steal.

Comment

Lol at Calgary comparing DeMar to Bargs.

Come on now man.

Comment

Quiet and humble throughout. Dude let's his game do the talking with improvements EVERY single year and eventually becomes an all star and Olympian. How could you not love this guy.

Comment

OldSchool wrote: View Post
                Quiet and humble throughout. Dude let's his game do the talking with improvements EVERY single year and eventually becomes an all star and Olympian. How could you not love this guy.
                He's not an Olympian. Played on the US team but that was the World Cup not the Olympics.

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                  He's not an Olympian. Played on the US team but that was the World Cup not the Olympics.
                  Both that "national team" and "all star" he was lucky to get in. They both should have an asterisk and i find it rather cheesy.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Both that "national team" and "all star" he was lucky to get in. They both should have an asterisk and i find it rather cheesy.
                    I'd say he was deserving of the all-star selection. Lowry was probably more deserving, but it's Joe Johnson who should have the asterisk beside his name.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'd say he was deserving of the all-star selection. Lowry was probably more deserving, but it's Joe Johnson who should have the asterisk beside his name.
                      He was deserving in the fact that the east was terrible. Also rondo and rose among others banged up. Any "normal" or "average" year, hes not an all star. Still, good for him.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

How many players had 22/4/4 averages or better in the league?

The guy averages 24ppg in his first play off experience. And he was pretty fantastic overall.

People criticize his tough shots but he made them in the playoffs, let's not forget about that.

So now, how many guys averaged 24ppg in the playoffs? And how many were under 24? And how many were there for their first time? And how many we're playing with 2 sophmores in the starting lineup?
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
                        X