No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan - Year 4 Ascension To Stardom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he improves on all the stuff we say he needs to improve on he won't be a team leader but an amazing side-kick to a superstar.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      We've been saying this for the past 3 years
      Many Raps fans thought Bargnani would improve his defense in Year 7.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
        Many Raps fans thought Bargnani would improve his defense in Year 7.
        Gherardini was stealing his rebounds....

Comment

The problem with DeRozan is that he's now a 4-year starting SG, making $9.5M annually, who can neither consistently knock-down a 3pt shot or play above-average perimeter defense. For a high-paid wing, one or both of those skills should be mandatory. He's still just an inefficient volume-scorer, unfortunately.

As for being a star, I agree that he'll never be a true star or even a team leader / 'face of the franchise' type player, due to his personality. It's not a knock against him - we are who we are - and he's just not that vocal, take responsibility for the team type of guy. He's a sidekick.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            I think its all mental and effort with Demar.

He always seems to be in a bad position. At one point he was hailed as Heir Canada, but still in Bosh's shadow. Then Bosh left, and instead of him being the franchise player, management pushes Bargnani in that direction. Then when Bargnani was on the out, Gay comes in.

I hope he improves his 3pt shooting, passing and defense this off-season.
            DeMar is a great kid, but sometimes it's not just a mental think it's just that perhaps he doesn't have what it takes to be great. Random thought, but Paul George and DeMar were both pretty similar when they came into the league. Super athletic players that were big for their size and more raw that skilled or refined. Look at where George is now, especially as it relates to his 3 point shooting and handles, and look at where DeMar is. By all accounts DeMar is one of the hardest working players in the NBA, so why has George risen so much higher? Perhaps DD is just slower to get there and I hope that is the case, but sometime you just have to admit that maybe he doesn't have what it takes.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              The problem with DeRozan is that he's now a 4-year starting SG, making $9.5M annually, who can neither consistently knock-down a 3pt shot or play above-average perimeter defense. For a high-paid wing, one or both of those skills should be mandatory. He's still just an inefficient volume-scorer, unfortunately.

As for being a star, I agree that he'll never be a true star or even a team leader / 'face of the franchise' type player, due to his personality. It's not a knock against him - we are who we are - and he's just not that vocal, take responsibility for the team type of guy. He's a sidekick.
              Surprisingly, so is Russel Westbrook, but KD helps to make up for that. Hopefully, DD and Gay get the FG % up to respectable levels this year. In DeMar's defense, last season was the first time he's been looked to be the first option scoring the ball prior to the Gay trade. He increased the number of shots he took this past season from the last by approx. 25%.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                DeMar is a great kid, but sometimes it's not just a mental think it's just that perhaps he doesn't have what it takes to be great. Random thought, but Paul George and DeMar were both pretty similar when they came into the league. Super athletic players that were big for their size and more raw that skilled or refined. Look at where George is now, especially as it relates to his 3 point shooting and handles, and look at where DeMar is. By all accounts DeMar is one of the hardest working players in the NBA, so why has George risen so much higher? Perhaps DD is just slower to get there and I hope that is the case, but sometime you just have to admit that maybe he doesn't have what it takes.
                It might also have to do with mentorship/coaching. Vogel is a better coach then Triano and Casey combined. George also got to play with Granger who is a much better player then Sonny Weems or Antoine Wright. Now that we have Gay it could help DeMar.

If we keep DeMar then I would be very interested in how he plays next season. Most SG's have their best statistical season at the age of 24. Would be interested to see how much of an impact his maturity and playing with Gay do for his game.

Comment

I agree he is secondary option. I feel like he is fairly effecient compared to other standing two guards(Not name D Wade). Most starting SG are shooting under 45 FG and DeMar is right under that.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Every single off-season Demar has worked on a new aspect of his game and he has improved in all those areas by a lot. After his first season he vowed to attack with a vengeance which he did. He then worked on his jump shot and came back a much better shooter in his third year. And last off season he said to be working on his post game which was considerably better this year, he was learning how to take advantage of miss match-ups and such and it was by far his best season yet.

Now he's saying he's going to come back next season with a 3 point shot. I think he's only going to get stronger, he'll start grabbing more rebounds, he even racked up a respectable amount of assists last season.

I still really believe in this guy and no matter what happens to him, be it staying in Toronto or being traded I think he has a legitimate chance to be an all-star in this league. A very coachable player who could do great things on a good team.

That's just my opinion though, I hope he shows up this next season.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

They said that about Nowitzki and you can say it about Duncan (but he was too good and won too quickly). It won't be because he'll (probably) never be good enough. I like the vocal part to come from your defensive leader and on occasion your main ballhandler. And I don't mean that in a Kobe-others-need-to-step-up-but-i'm-shooting-it-anyway kinda way.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Surprisingly, so is Russel Westbrook, but KD helps to make up for that. Hopefully, DD and Gay get the FG % up to respectable levels this year. In DeMar's defense, last season was the first time he's been looked to be the first option scoring the ball prior to the Gay trade. He increased the number of shots he took this past season from the last by approx. 25%.
                        I don't have access to his pp stats, but last year Westbrook was much more efficient, probably thanks to Harden. If you look at the OKC offense in these play-offs without Westbrook you can actually see why they very often needed him to create havoc on offense; the others just can't do enough on offense and Durant can't create enough for others. Again I don't have the stats, so I might be wrong here, but I'm willing to make a bet that the efficiency of their role players went up a few notches with Westbrook on the court versus him off the court. Let's call it the Iverson-effect.

Comment

Statisticulary DD had a pretty productive season compared to all the other starting SG in the league. If you look around the league your be hard pressed to find a handful of SG who put better numbers but, that's just numbers. 18.2 Pts 4 Rbs 3 Ast .445 FG. The dudes same age as me 23! What will it take for this fan base to appariciate him.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Too bad there is no video for year 5 or year 6, then we would have known what to do with DeRozan .

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Statisticulary DD had a pretty productive season compared to all the other starting SG in the league. If you look around the league your be hard pressed to find a handful of SG who put better numbers but, that's just numbers. 18.2 Pts 4 Rbs 3 Ast .445 FG. The dudes same age as me 23! What will it take for this fan base to appariciate him.
                              - bring same level of effort/aggression/passion every game
                              - consistent output, which isn't limited to consistent scoring
                              - improved defensive play
                              - become a legit 3pt threat (this is the 3rd straight offseason of promising to work on his 3pt shot)
                              - stop shooting so many long 2pt shots
                              - don't take 15 shots per game to average 18 points per game (inefficiency)
                              - stop complaining to the refs for every non-call after taking it soft to the hoop, purposefully avoiding contact, throwing up a circus shot and hoping for the refs to bail you out --> drive hard and finish with authority EVERY time, so the refs don't have a chance to NOT call a foul

Basically EARN his $9.5M salary.

---

On the other hand, I will appreciate DeRozan for being exactly who/what he is today, if he's traded for Millsap or Love.

It's sports and it might sound cold, but I appreciate every player on the Raptors' roster for their value as an asset, whether it's on the court winning games or as a trade chip.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu May 30, 2013, 05:03 PM.

Comment

...it might sound cold, but I appreciate every player on the Raptors' roster for their value as an asset, whether it's on the court winning games or as a trade chip.
                                Damn, I'm shiverin' here. Cold, cold, cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X