No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan - Year 4 Ascension To Stardom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The guys mentor is Gary Payton so you'd think defence would start clicking for him.
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Basically, Demar should have not have agreed to work for $9.5 mil per season. He should have said, "Look Brian, I'm still young and growing as a basketball player. I really don't think I'm worth that much per season, and if I take it I'm sure I will not live up to the expectations that go along with it and I don't want to disappoint some of those crazy Raps fans. How about a 2 year extension at $6 mil? This would be more appropriate based on my previous performance and current potential. And hey, if after those 2 years I feel like I'm worth $9.5 mil per, then I'll be more than happy to sign that contract. But I'm not doing it until I prove to the fans that the organization isn't wasting valuable funds on a mediocre SG." lol

You are in a tough position young DeRozan. If you like playing in TO, I cannot see why. Nonetheless, I will support you and I will never harp on you for signing that contract...actually I will commend you for it. Good for you Demar!!

Comment

Technically, you can only evaluate the guy relative to his rookie salary because that is what he was making this past season. For his rookie salary, I think he was a bargain. I have to reserve judgment until I see him this upcoming year but it's probably safe to say that he won't double his production moving forward.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          Basically, Demar should have not have agreed to work for $9.5 mil per season. He should have said, "Look Brian, I'm still young and growing as a basketball player. I really don't think I'm worth that much per season, and if I take it I'm sure I will not live up to the expectations that go along with it and I don't want to disappoint some of those crazy Raps fans. How about a 2 year extension at $6 mil? This would be more appropriate based on my previous performance and current potential. And hey, if after those 2 years I feel like I'm worth $9.5 mil per, then I'll be more than happy to sign that contract. But I'm not doing it until I prove to the fans that the organization isn't wasting valuable funds on a mediocre SG."
          Lol I don't think this has ever happened in this history of pro-sports.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            It might also have to do with mentorship/coaching. Vogel is a better coach then Triano and Casey combined. George also got to play with Granger who is a much better player then Sonny Weems or Antoine Wright. Now that we have Gay it could help DeMar.

If we keep DeMar then I would be very interested in how he plays next season. Most SG's have their best statistical season at the age of 24. Would be interested to see how much of an impact his maturity and playing with Gay do for his game.
            Agree. George was pretty much producing the same numbers as Demar till he got thrust into being the #1 option because of Granger's injury. IMO, no matter how hard you work in the NBA, if your team doesnt peg you as the primary option, you probably wont be able to get to the next level. Before Casey, the Raptors were pretty much "defensively disabled" so i really cant expect Demar to be adept on defense when the coaches are not preaching it. His Drating did improve under Casey's direction.

Agree on the 2nd paragraph as well. Year after year, we've seen Demar improve, not enough to shake the world, but at least there was improvement. This year, all he has left to improve is his 3ball and defense. Knowing how hard he works in the offseason, i dont doubt he's doing his best to improve these 2.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
              The guys mentor is Gary Payton so you'd think defence would start clicking for him.
              That just started this year, right?

Comment

Frankly, if I were a professional sports athlete I would take $6 mil per season and actual championship contention over $9.5 mil and no playoffs. That's just me though.

Derozan is a valuable asset for any team, he could easily leave for a winning team, make a bit less money but actually contend and be relevant but he wants to help this organization win again. Got to respect that.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  I believe he worked with Gary last offseason on his post-up game, but don't quote me on it.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                    No, from what I've read Gary and Demar have known each other since Demar was in high school!

Comment

It started maybe the last week before training camp... he hasnt spent that much time with him yet.

Comment

However I don't think they worked together until a few summers ago.

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...e-in-the-hole/

Comment

Lol I don't think this has ever happened in this history of pro-sports.
                            Exactly. Which is why I don't like beating on Demar because of his contract. He didn't demand it and he didn't say no to a previous offer. It was given to him and he accepted it. Why wouldn't he? I'd like to see his distance shooting improve, but I will not say I'd like to see his distance shooting improve because he makes $9.5 mil per season (starting next season). In any event, if his contract is that bad, then I don't see how he is one of our top tradeable assets. Bargs, Kleiza, Peitrus, Fields, Gay, Gray even Lucas I would argue, have worse contracts relative to their play and contributions to this team. The only value contracts we have on this club are JV because he was a rookie, AA because he can shoot lights out and at <1 mil last season, and of course, Amir, who supposedly wasn't worth the contract he signed when he signed it. He proved the critics wrong, I hope Demar does so as well.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                              Exactly. Which is why I don't like beating on Demar because of his contract. He didn't demand it and he didn't say no to a previous offer. It was given to him and he accepted it. Why wouldn't he? I'd like to see his distance shooting improve, but I will not say I'd like to see his distance shooting improve because he makes $9.5 mil per season (starting next season). In any event, if his contract is that bad, then I don't see how he is one of our top tradeable assets. Bargs, Kleiza, Peitrus, Fields, Gay, Gray even Lucas I would argue, have worse contracts relative to their play and contributions to this team. The only value contracts we have on this club are JV because he was a rookie, AA because he can shoot lights out and at <1 mil last season, and of course, Amir, who supposedly wasn't worth the contract he signed when he signed it. He proved the critics wrong, I hope Demar does so as well.
                              I agree that there shouldn't be any blame placed on DeRozan for his contract. However, in a salary-cap world, you can be 100% sure that any player's performance will always be evaluated relative to their contract.

It doesn't matter what profession you're in, when your title and/or salary increases, so will the expectations placed on you.

As for trade value, I think DeRozan is at the top of the list for several reasons:
                              - still young
                              - still potential to improve
                              - good basic scoring stats
                              - hardworker
                              - good character
                              - $9.5M contact isn't horrible and could become good value if he continues to improve
                              - defensive weakness wouldn't be nearly as bad on a team with a good wing defender and/or good interior defense
                              - size of contract provides plenty of options for who/what can return in trade (up to $11.975M in contract next season)
                              --> Valanciunas and Ross probably have best trade value on Raptors, but can't return much due to much smaller, rookie-scale contracts
                              --> other bigger contracts don't have nearly the trade value as DeRozan (ie: Gay, Bargnani, Fields, Amir, Kleiza)
                              --> positionally, the Raptors have depth at the wings and would be trading from a position of strength (Gay and his massive contract make DeRozan redundant, especially together in the starting lineup)
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri May 31, 2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Calgary will you ever be on the "Maybe DeRozan is a keeper?" Wagon what is that going to take? for you to drink the kool-aid? DeRozan would be easier to move if Ross was ready or Fields could do anything on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X