Tim Leiweke on FAN 590 - sportsnet -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    I have yet to hear Leiweke muff a reply. He is fast on his feet or very sure of his position on the issues being discussed. He is definitely a dealmaker and can charm those he is wooing...no wonder these guys hired him. He pretty much killed Sid in his tracks when he told him (when Sid mentioned the futility of the Raptors past and why he should be excited by the Ujiri hire) ....because he wasnt here before and his own record of hires included a gm with a Stanley Cup in LA and a trophy with the manager of the Galaxy. So,....gotta admire his chutzpah.

Here is a piece on him.....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...hises/AEG.aspx
    I had not read that article. Thanks.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Matt, I don't think anyone was claiming Colangelo was giving a "salesman" vibe when he entered the scene. They both get paid bonus based on organizational performance so and they're both in the entertainment business and so they're both salesmen. Leiweke is a better salesman than Colangleo if anything because you don't get that far without being very talented at selling something, whether it be a product or ideas... And based on what I'm reading in here, everyone is opening their wallets wide open to buy into what he's selling.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I've seen all the bright lights enough to know talk is cheap.
      Colangelo gave his pitch and sold his product which was two playoff berths (even if in one of the weakest eastern conferences at that time). But what happened? He couldn't make the hard sells anymore. He gave up and OTPP took us along for the ride for all those years.

It dawned on me yesterday; giggling everytime Leiweke says championship. How many times did BC try to sell us a championship? Instead he hassled us into buying the toyota corolla of playoff spots every year. And sometimes, even lower than that.

Comment

Colangelo did talk about building a winning environment, a contender. Again, talk is cheap.

Leiweke isn't going to be making the personnel decisions. The best thing he can do is get out of the way now that he's hired his guy.

Comment

Great article! I like this man
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Matt, I don't think anyone was claiming Colangelo was giving a "salesman" vibe when he entered the scene. They both get paid bonus based on organizational performance so and they're both in the entertainment business and so they're both salesmen. Leiweke is a better salesman than Colangleo if anything because you don't get that far without being very talented at selling something, whether it be a product or ideas... And based on what I'm reading in here, everyone is opening their wallets wide open to buy into what he's selling.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I've seen all the bright lights enough to know talk is cheap.
            In fairness to BC, i think his moves were much more restricted than Leiweke's and Masai's. He was reporting to Peddie who was being restricted by MLSE who in turn was restricting him. Although he did make some questionable moves and signings.

Leiweke seems to be taking the opposite approach. Instead of asking MLSE what resources he has so he can make his moves using those, he seems to be telling MLSE what he wants to happen and to give him the resources he needs to make them happen, no matter the cost.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
              In fairness to BC, i think his moves were much more restricted than Leiweke's and Masai's. He was reporting to Peddie who was being restricted by MLSE who in turn was restricting him. Although he did make some questionable moves and signings.
              No, one of the conditions of Colangelo coming to Toronto was that Peddie would not interfere. I remember clearing from the presser way back when.

Comment

Working...
              X