Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011 Draft - Trade Scenario that didn't happen

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2011 Draft - Trade Scenario that didn't happen

    Here's an interesting story told by an insider involved with one of the teams. In 2011, most everyone in the league thought the Cavs were leaning toward Lithuanian center Valanciunas with the No. 4 pick.

    That included two teams behind the Cavs: Toronto at 5 and Detroit at 8. So much so, the teams had arranged a trade after they figured the 7-footer would go to the Cavs.

    A source said the Pistons were going to trade the eighth pick and guard Ben Gordon to the Raptors for Toronto's No. 5 pick and guard Jose Calderon.

    The Pistons were going to draft Tristan Thompson at 5, while Toronto would have taken Brandon Knight at 8.

    The trade was called off when the Cavs passed on Valanciunas and selected Thompson at 4. The Raptors jumped on the Lithuanian center with the next pick. Both teams appear happy with the outcomes of both players.

    http://www.news-herald.com/articles/...mode=fullstory
    So basically if the Cavs drafted Valanciunas with the 4th pick, BC would have traded Calderon and the 5th pick for Ben Gordon and the 8th pick. Cavs would have drafted Thompson and we would have drafted Knight. God, thank fucking god we fired BC. We would have been angry after the 2011 draft and even angrier now! Thank god for the Cavs for drafting Thompson rather than Valanciunas. This would have been a disaster. Talk about dodging a bullet
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Mon Jun 17, 2013, 02:08 AM.

  • #2
    Wow .....


    -- Charles Barkley

    Comment


    • #3
      Trading down in the draft usually comes with some sort of benifit to the team moving down. Cash, cap space, better player.

      But in this scenario the Raps would have moved down and gotten a worse player, who is almost the same age, and was payed more and for longer.......

      Maybe someone from MLSE leaked this so no matter what decisions Masai makes this year they all look genius compared to BC.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well we didn't need a PF, and needed a PG of the future and help at C. I think Knight has progressed slower than people expected, but he was in discussion for the Jazz at 3 that year ... if you want to believe 'sources' and 'reports'.

        If you recall, they were high on Bismack - defensive freak with upside. As much as this article may be accurate, maybe not.
        The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

        Comment


        • #5
          Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

          1. Irving
          2. Faried
          3. Leonard
          4. Valanciunas
          5. Klay Thompson
          6. T. Thompson
          7. Walker
          8. Vucevic
          9. Harris
          10. Kanter
          11. Shumpert
          12. Montiejunas
          13. Burks

          Comment


          • #6
            Irving
            Valanciunas
            Leonard
            Klay
            Faried
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

            Comment


            • #7
              stretch wrote: View Post
              Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

              1. Irving
              2. Faried
              3. Leonard
              4. Valanciunas
              5. Klay Thompson
              6. T. Thompson
              7. Walker
              8. Vucevic
              9. Harris
              10. Kanter
              11. Shumpert
              12. Montiejunas
              13. Burks
              Whoops! I forgot Jimmy Butler. I would put him right after Klay Thompson.

              Comment


              • #8
                stretch wrote: View Post
                Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

                1. Irving
                2. Faried
                3. Leonard
                4. Valanciunas
                5. Klay Thompson
                6. T. Thompson
                7. Walker
                8. Vucevic
                9. Harris
                10. Kanter
                11. Shumpert
                12. Montiejunas
                13. Burks
                Solid list, altough you have to keep in mind that who drafts you, plays a big part especially in the first few years. Faried and Thompson are both amazing talents, but its crazy how those 2 teams style of play fit those guys game its crazy. You put faried in a back to basket team, or Thompson on a team that doesn't hand out licenses to shoot every night. And the Opposite is true for Kanter, you put him on a team where their 3 best players aren't big Men, maybe he makes JV and Drummond look like high schoolers.
                And Leonard, well he hit the lottery, when Pops litterally asks to trade for you, and You have that coach with those teammates, the only thing stopping you from improving every day is yourself, i'm sure they could make something solid out of derrick williams, but the poor guy is stuck with a coach who wants nothing to do with him.

                Outside of Top 5 i say draft for need, Talent is useless on the bench (ask T-Ross)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dino4life wrote: View Post
                  Solid list, altough you have to keep in mind that who drafts you, plays a big part especially in the first few years. Faried and Thompson are both amazing talents, but its crazy how those 2 teams style of play fit those guys game its crazy. You put faried in a back to basket team, or Thompson on a team that doesn't hand out licenses to shoot every night. And the Opposite is true for Kanter, you put him on a team where their 3 best players aren't big Men, maybe he makes JV and Drummond look like high schoolers.
                  And Leonard, well he hit the lottery, when Pops litterally asks to trade for you, and You have that coach with those teammates, the only thing stopping you from improving every day is yourself, i'm sure they could make something solid out of derrick williams, but the poor guy is stuck with a coach who wants nothing to do with him.

                  Outside of Top 5 i say draft for need, Talent is useless on the bench (ask T-Ross)
                  How'd that work out for the Raptors, when they drafted Araujo @ #8 instead of Iguodala?

                  Drafting BPA may result in talent sitting on the bench, but there's benefit to having talented depth, plus talent is also a very tradeable asset (or makes the incumbent starter a tradeable asset).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think Bob Finnan's inside source is the video below the Raptor 2011 draft video and a little deductive reasoning.

                    http://www.nba.com/pistons/video/201...134/index.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      How'd that work out for the Raptors, when they drafted Araujo @ #8 instead of Iguodala?

                      Drafting BPA may result in talent sitting on the bench, but there's benefit to having talented depth, plus talent is also a very tradeable asset (or makes the incumbent starter a tradeable asset).
                      Pretty sure that has more to do with bad scouting, considering we're talking about a #8 pick that barely lasted 2 seasons in the league. Plus considering at the time the only franchise player we had was vince carter, looking to fill other holes was pretty much the smart thing to do, plus it took iguodala 7 years to make his first all star team, pretty sure he would have been traded before then.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X