Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA.com Raptors Team Overview

Areas of Strength
    Athleticism. With Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan, Terrence Ross and Amir Johnson, the Raptors have a young core than can get up and down the floor. And if Dwane Casey can get that core disciplined and on the same page, he can turn it back into a pretty good defensive team that can turn stops into easy buckets on the other end.

Needs Work
    Shooting. As athletic as Gay and DeRozan are, it's a problem when neither of your two starting, highly-paid wings can stretch the floor and knock down shots consistently. Giving the 6-8 Gay minutes at the four could provide better spacing while also allowing Ross to develop quickly.

Two Stats That Matter
    33.1 -- Raptor opponents attempted 33.1 free throws per 100 field goal attempts, the highest rate in the league.

1.6 -- The Raptors' defense allowed 103.8 points per 100 possessions after the Gay trade, 1.6 fewer than it allowed before the deal.

The Way To Go
    Without any picks or cap space, there's not much the Raptors' new general manager can do. If continued efforts to trade Andrea Bargnani don't bear fruit, Toronto will still have the amnesty clause to finally part ways with the former No. 1 pick. Just as important as any moves the Raptors make is the offseason improvement of Jonas Valanciunas, who has the potential to be anchor on both ends of the floor.

2012-13 Team Stats (points per 100 possessions, with NBA rank)
    Offensive: 102.9 (14)
    Defensive: 104.7 (22)

Under Contract:
    F: Quincy Acy
    F/C: Andrea Bargnani
    G: DeMar DeRozan
    F: Landry Fields
    F: Rudy Gay
    F/C: Amir Johnson
    F: Linas Kleiza
    G: Kyle Lowry
    G: Terrence Ross
    C: Jonas Valanciunas

Free Agents:
    F/G: Alan Anderson
    C: Aaron Gray (player option)
    G: John Lucas III (team option)
    F: Mickael Pietrus
    G: Sebastian Telfair

Recent Draft History:
    2012: Maurice Harkless (15), Justin Hamilton (45), Tornike Shengelia (54)
    2011: Nikola Vucevic (16), Lavoy Allen (50)
    2010: Evan Turner (2)
    2009: Jrue Holiday (17)
    2008: Mareese Speights (16)
    2007: Thaddeus Young (12), Daequan Cook (21), Petteri Koponen (30), Kyrylo Fesenko (38)
    2006: Thabo Sefolosha (13)

*They clearly messed up by posting the Sixers draft history, instead our own ... bummer.

Source
    The stat about the Raptors allowing the most Free Throws per 100 Possessions didn't surprise me in the least ... it should just read "Free Throws Refs Allowed" though, to be completely accurate.

And the stat about our defense being marginally better after Gay is interesting to see on paper.

Any serious objections to NBA.com's opinion of the Team?
    I'd say its pretty fair and accurate.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:34 AM.

i would disagree with moving Rudy to the 4 since he is by far and away better at the 3 from what i saw last season. this is an area we need to upgrade and if you can somehow find that tweener type 4 as the 6th man or just a more mobile option at the 4 for small ball and make Amir your 6th man would be a better way to go. i don't think you should take your best 3 and move him over just because he happens to your tallest 3

Comment

I think the elephant in the room is whether the current starting 5 can play together and be successful with the lack of 3-pt shooting on the floor. Whether you want to play inside out with JV, run pick and roll with Lowry, or leave it to Derozan and Gay to break down defenders, you can't do any of that if the other team has 5 guys standing in the lane.

Comment

DeRozan is the only person i see who needs to work on his 3 pt shot. Rudy just had a down year with his back spasms and his vision problems (which i imagine have gotten worse and worse till he got surgery). This starting 5 is extremely deadly, all 5 guys compete, they are all immensely talented and hard workers. We just need a proper system and plan in place, and this is DC's last year to get his shit together.

Comment

Would like to see that draft tracking for the Raptors. correct me if i'm wrong:

2013: no picks ... yet!
          2012: Terrence Ross (8th), Quincy Acy (37), Tomislav Zubcic (56)
          2011: Jonas Valanciunas (5)
          2010: Ed Davis (13)
          2009: Demar Derozan (9)
          2008: Roy Hibbert (17) for Indy
          2007: no pick
          2006: Andrea Bargnani (1), PJ Tucker (35), Edin Bavcic (56)

Guess that could be why we never find that gem in the 2nd round ... we keep trading away the picks.
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
            Would like to see that draft tracking for the Raptors. correct me if i'm wrong:

2013: no picks ... yet!
            2012: Terrence Ross (8th), Quincy Acy (37), Tomislav Zubcic (56)
            2011: Jonas Valanciunas (5)
            2010: Ed Davis (13)
            2009: Demar Derozan (9)
            2008: Roy Hibbert (17) for Indy
            2007: no pick
            2006: Andrea Bargnani (1), PJ Tucker (35), Edin Bavcic (56)

Guess that could be why we never find that gem in the 2nd round ... we keep trading away the picks.
            In Tomislav we trust!!!
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The article approaches our roster in reverse importance, I think. First it mentions the athletic roster pieces Rudy, Demar, Terrence and Amir ... then mentions Valanciunas. When I look at our roster, it is Jonas - then everybody else!

I totally agree with the part that says a small ball lineup with Rudy, Demar and Terrence would be cool to see ... Amir or Jonas playing 5, and Lowry or someone else running the point.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Small ball may be the answer if Raps can't make moves.

Comment

This draft is going to be a waste of Ujiri's supposed abilities of spotting talent at the bottom of draft pools. Even though Weltman stays with the Bucks until after the draft I am sure MU & he could have some powwows on the talent around. Here's hoping MU is making headway on acquiring at least a pick or two....or someone who is signable out of Europe/SA. He was in Italy recently...he certainly keeps his movements/reasons to himself unlike BC when leaks about his trips seemed quite frequent.

Comment

Look at the heat, they're basically doing the exact same. And yes talent wise its obviously different but rudy gay in alot of ways is a poor mans lebron. I could see it working in the correct matchups. It would be difficult against a team like the lakers who have Pau and Howard (maybe) But at the same time Rudy should destroy Pau on the other side of the ball so i mean its something to really look into and plan for. After Andrea gets traded is when i really start to figure out the moves that need to be made because it all revolves around what we get for him.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      This draft is going to be a waste of Ujiri's supposed abilities of spotting talent at the bottom of draft pools. Even though Weltman stays with the Bucks until after the draft I am sure MU & he could have some powwows on the talent around. Here's hoping MU is making headway on acquiring at least a pick or two....or someone who is signable out of Europe/SA. He was in Italy recently...he certainly keeps his movements/reasons to himself unlike BC when leaks about his trips seemed quite frequent.
                      Even with a pick and Ujiri's ability, it doesn't matter this year. Rookies don't find the floor under Casey.

Comment

Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                        Look at the heat, they're basically doing the exact same. And yes talent wise its obviously different but rudy gay in alot of ways is a poor mans lebron. I could see it working in the correct matchups. It would be difficult against a team like the lakers who have Pau and Howard (maybe) But at the same time Rudy should destroy Pau on the other side of the ball so i mean its something to really look into and plan for. After Andrea gets traded is when i really start to figure out the moves that need to be made because it all revolves around what we get for him.
                        My recollection is that everytime the Raps went small it was pretty much a disaster because they didn't do enough offensively to justify the defensive issues that arose. I don't have time to look up the splits. What's the numbers with Gay at the 4?

Also, the reason going small is effective is that you can stretch the floor and force opponents to spread out the defense. When you don't have good shooters (i.e. the Raps) that plan pretty much doesn't work cause other teams don't have to guard you.... The reason it works for teams like Miami and SA is that they have 4 or 5 threats out there at once, 2-3 of whom can knock down threes in bunches.

Comment

robert parrish 00 wrote: View Post
                          Even with a pick and Ujiri's ability, it doesn't matter this year. Rookies don't find the floor under Casey.
                          A couple of points: MU indicated at his news conf. that he (management), the coach and the team were going to be lockstep about issues on the floor going forward. Have we heard if MU is in agreement with the Casey rookie/pt point of view? The other point is that we need a gathering of talent and proper development complimenting the (new) Raptor style which is another item we know very little about at this time. Identity is another item MU spoke about. If Casey does not agree he will I am afraid not be around long.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            A couple of points: MU indicated at his news conf. that he (management), the coach and the team were going to be lockstep about issues on the floor going forward. Have we heard if MU is in agreement with the Casey rookie/pt point of view? The other point is that we need a gathering of talent and proper development complimenting the (new) Raptor style which is another item we know very little about at this time. Identity is another item MU spoke about. If Casey does not agree he will I am afraid not be around long.
                            Well said Bendit.

I don't always agree that GMs meddling in the coaches affairs is a good thing; but with Casey, I think it could only be a good thing. It's not like DC is some seasoned Veteran coach who is unquestionably making the right decision 100% of the time.
                            While he IS a good coach, he, just like all of us, could use some help and guidance sometimes; in terms of.. not speaking in specifics.. but Time out situations & substitutions and rotations come to mind... Lol

If MU sets DC up with a plan of Defense first, Offense Second, then I'm sure Casey will make the appropriate decisions.
                            Its when he starts trying to play D'Antoni style offense, but still maintain any sort of control, that he just loses everything and makes hilarious decisions.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              My recollection is that everytime the Raps went small it was pretty much a disaster because they didn't do enough offensively to justify the defensive issues that arose. I don't have time to look up the splits. What's the numbers with Gay at the 4?
                              You're right. According to 82games.com, Raptors played 17% of their minutes with Gay at SF, and were +84. They played 10% of their minutes with him at PF, and were -23.
                              Of the 5-man units with Gay at PF, almost all of the ones that had Anderson at SF were brutal, while those that had Fields at SF actually did okay (not great).

Comment

Working...
                              X