NBA.com Raptors Team Overview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Its when he starts trying to play D'Aatoni style offense, but still maintain any sort of control, that he just loses everything and makes hilarious decisions.
    I am looking more forward to following the moves of the management of this team than any great expectations about on floor results. If the head is not right the body begins to rot. The team has been yo-yoed so much during BC's tenure on "identity" ...no consistent style of play and lack of leadership that the issue of improved/disciplined/planned management (TL & MU) is to me of more importance right now. Boring maybe but essential at this time imo. Here's hoping.

Comment

Burnit482 wrote: View Post
      Look at the heat, they're basically doing the exact same. And yes talent wise its obviously different but rudy gay in alot of ways is a poor mans lebron. I could see it working in the correct matchups. It would be difficult against a team like the lakers who have Pau and Howard (maybe) But at the same time Rudy should destroy Pau on the other side of the ball so i mean its something to really look into and plan for. After Andrea gets traded is when i really start to figure out the moves that need to be made because it all revolves around what we get for him.
      Not quite sure how he is even close to being a poor man's LeBron in any ways. I'd say he's more of a rich-man's DeMar DeRozan. I also disagree that Rudy would destroy Pau. Maybe in the open floor but one-on-one I don't see it. Pau is positionally very sound, has length and plays tough defence. Rudy would rely on the jumper due to all those factors and that is not his strength. Here's hoping he proves me wrong though.
      There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
        You're right. According to 82games.com, Raptors played 17% of their minutes with Gay at SF, and were +84. They played 10% of their minutes with him at PF, and were -23.
        Of the 5-man units with Gay at PF, almost all of the ones that had Anderson at SF were brutal, while those that had Fields at SF actually did okay (not great).
        Thanks. Not surprised at all.

The main problem I see with going small for Toronto is that it takes one of the two most effective players (Amir or JV) off the floor to replace them with a far less effective player (e.g. AA, Ross, Fields). Whereas, for example, in SA you have Ginobli replacing Splitter (upgrade) and in Miami you have Battier or Miller replacing Haslem, which is basically a wash player-wise but gives you a much more effective offensive lineup.

I can't really see a scenario where I support playing Amir and JV less and Terrence Ross more. "Hey, let's replace the guys who don't miss any shots, rebound efficiently and defend pretty well with the guy who misses the rim on half his shots, doesn't rebound, looks lost on defense, and can't pass or dribble." Sounds like a great plan....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          Thanks. Not surprised at all.

The main problem I see with going small for Toronto is that it takes one of the two most effective players (Amir or JV) off the floor to replace them with a far less effective player (e.g. AA, Ross, Fields). Whereas, for example, in SA you have Ginobli replacing Splitter (upgrade) and in Miami you have Battier or Miller replacing Haslem, which is basically a wash player-wise but gives you a much more effective offensive lineup.

I can't really see a scenario where I support playing Amir and JV less and Terrence Ross more. "Hey, let's replace the guys who don't miss any shots, rebound efficiently and defend pretty well with the guy who misses the rim on half his shots, doesn't rebound, looks lost on defense, and can't pass or dribble." Sounds like a great plan....
          for me it's get your best 5 whomever that may be and then craft and design from there. i can see one good unit and then a whole bunch of serious drop offs no matter how i try to make it work. moving Rudy to the 4 would be like the Jay's putting Reyes at 2B when he comes back,yes the fill in has done a reasonably decent job and they have an offensive hole at 2B most of the time but why move your stud Shortstop? i think the Jays answer should be to get a better 2B at some point and the Raptors answer given the current roster should be to play Lowry-Demar-Rudy-Amir-Val together as much as possible so they can form the bonds of a unit that only a serious amount of floor time together can get you

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            Well said Bendit.

I don't always agree that GMs meddling in the coaches affairs is a good thing; but with Casey, I think it could only be a good thing. It's not like DC is some seasoned Veteran coach who is unquestionably making the right decision 100% of the time.
            While he IS a good coach, he, just like all of us, could use some help and guidance sometimes; in terms of.. not speaking in specifics.. but Time out situations & substitutions and rotations come to mind... Lol

If MU sets DC up with a plan of Defense first, Offense Second, then I'm sure Casey will make the appropriate decisions.
            Its when he starts trying to play D'Antoni style offense, but still maintain any sort of control, that he just loses everything and makes hilarious decisions.
            GM's should be all over the coach's affairs with playing time. A coach needs to be focused on long term development. He should know that playing the rookies and consequently dealing with the growing pains that involves (at least that's how Casey sees it) is not going to cost him. They should be on the same page on player development, when to pull players out and when to let them play through mistakes, etc. And it should be the longterm view (which should be more the gm's point of view) and not the shortterm results focus of many coaches which prevails.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              GM's should be all over the coach's affairs with playing time. A coach needs to be focused on long term development. He should know that playing the rookies and consequently dealing with the growing pains that involves (at least that's how Casey sees it) is not going to cost him. They should be on the same page on player development, when to pull players out and when to let them play through mistakes, etc. And it should be the longterm view (which should be more the gm's point of view) and not the shortterm results focus of many coaches which prevails.
              As hard as I've been on Casey for his limiting the playing time for so many of the younger players this past season, I wonder if he was stuck between a rock and a hard place with BC. On one hand, BC was building for the future. On the other hand, BC clearly wanted to sneak into the playoffs, likely to save his own job. If I was Casey, I'd much rather error on the side of short-term 'success' (ie: winning to make the GM look good), than long-term success (ie: loosing to make the GM look bad, only to see his option picked up and possibly being fired as a scape-goat). I just want the GM and coach to be on the same page, regardless of the direction this team goes. Hell, I just want this team to have a damn direction!

Comment

One thing the article fails to mention is the Raptors as individuals are very poor passers. I would argue the best passer on the team is Fields, and unfortunately he did not do enough else last year to earn significant playing time. In addition, are starting wings are ball stoppers, on top of being poor passers (in transition and in the half-court), the are both average or below-average and dribble penetration. I almost destroyed by television more than once when Gay would catch the ball on the wing and take five or six dribble while backing up about 3 steps from the three point line. I think the Raptors have to build an offense passed on movement and team play, as opposed to isolations plays which most teams rely on.

Comment

Working...
                X