Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Utah took a major dump but they were smart.

    This is a great great great trade for them.

    They took on dead weight in Biedrins and Jefferson but they also got a player in a position of need in Brandon Rush.

    They also got multiple draft picks - including 2014 1st.

    Lets be real: Utah is less of a free agent destination than Toronto at the moment.

    They now have nearly $32M in expiring contracts (Biedrins $9M, Jefferson $11M, Rush $4M, Williams $7.5M).

    They've only got $1.7M in guaranteed money next season with Favors and Hayward up for extensions.

    I think Utah is in a good place DESPITE getting NOTHING for Millsap or Al Jefferson.
    I don't really understand why this is a good trade. Yes, they get two picks... for $24 million? That seems a bit steep to me, and Golden State's pick will be out of the lottery. I think they're in a good position because they have a young and promising frontcourt, plus Gordon Hayward, but I don't understand why this trade was made at all.

    Comment


    • Aaron Gray and Camby for Asik.

      Comment


      • Twitter - @thekid_it

        Comment


        • These moves by Utah has Jerry sloan stink all over them smells like experienced foresight.

          Seriously though if BC didnt sign Fields we could of got him........ JUST SAYING!

          Comment


          • isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            Who?

            Comment


            • isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              4 years, $29 million. Solid payday.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

              Comment


              • Utah's definitely better off with this trade/Millsap gone. Tons of expiring contracts, which will help in the future. + they can actually start getting the most out of Favors and Kanter.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

                Comment


                • Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                  And considering that if we were to tank we would have to completely gut our roster from top to bottom.
                  "Tanking" for a proper rebuild means, realistically, trading up to three guys: Rudy, Lowry and DeMar. They have value, but Rudy and DeMar are overpaid and don't deliver for the money you're paying them, and Lowry's ability to truly be a starting PG is questionable plus there's no guarantee we keep him anyway. You don't trade JV, because that would be stupid. You don't trade Amir because he's the heart of the team. You can't trade Fields, because nobody wants him. Ross and Acy CAN be traded, if it makes a really good deal happen, but otherwise you keep them because they're young and have upside.

                  We move those three guys for expiring contracts, young assets and picks. We'll be able to get them, because the last 24 hours has seen the free agent market rapidly dry up as many of the good remaining free agents have committed (Iggy, OJ Mayo, Jose Calderon, Chris Copeland), and because there's still teams looking to compete who need assets.

                  Detroit's attempt to lowball us on Rudy was a pretty transparent attempt by Joe Dumars to try and establish Rudy's price early, but it failed because it was unrealistically low. (If he'd thrown in a pick it would have looked a little more credible, instead of stupid.) Detroit and Cleveland have already missed out on Iggy; they'll probably miss out on Josh Smith too. They'll want a high-quality SF. Other teams want a quality PG at low-cost; that's Lowry. Shooting guard is the thinnest position in the league; Toronto will have suitors for DeMar.

                  The thing about Rudy, Lowry and DeMar is that they are good enough to attract decent offers on the trade block, but not good enough to make you a credible championship contender. They should have INCREASE YOUR VALUE BY TRADING US written on their damn jerseys.

                  Comment


                  • isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    That's awesome. Go Jose.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

                    Comment


                    • magoon wrote: View Post
                      "Tanking" for a proper rebuild means, realistically, trading up to three guys: Rudy, Lowry and DeMar. They have value, but Rudy and DeMar are overpaid and don't deliver for the money you're paying them, and Lowry's ability to truly be a starting PG is questionable plus there's no guarantee we keep him anyway. You don't trade JV, because that would be stupid. You don't trade Amir because he's the heart of the team. You can't trade Fields, because nobody wants him. Ross and Acy CAN be traded, if it makes a really good deal happen, but otherwise you keep them because they're young and have upside.

                      We move those three guys for expiring contracts, young assets and picks. We'll be able to get them, because the last 24 hours has seen the free agent market rapidly dry up as many of the good remaining free agents have committed (Iggy, OJ Mayo, Jose Calderon, Chris Copeland), and because there's still teams looking to compete who need assets.

                      Detroit's attempt to lowball us on Rudy was a pretty transparent attempt by Joe Dumars to try and establish Rudy's price early, but it failed because it was unrealistically low. (If he'd thrown in a pick it would have looked a little more credible, instead of stupid.) Detroit and Cleveland have already missed out on Iggy; they'll probably miss out on Josh Smith too. They'll want a high-quality SF. Other teams want a quality PG at low-cost; that's Lowry. Shooting guard is the thinnest position in the league; Toronto will have suitors for DeMar.

                      The thing about Rudy, Lowry and DeMar is that they are good enough to attract decent offers on the trade block, but not good enough to make you a credible championship contender. They should have INCREASE YOUR VALUE BY TRADING US written on their damn jerseys.
                      What point are you trying to make? None of that matter if we don't get a good draft pick. Then we have to draft again, and then again, and before you know it JV has fucked off to some other team because he's tired of losing (just like every other star player this team has had) and we're in the exact same situation we've been in for the last 10 years where no one wants to play on our team because we suck dick and never win because our only strategy is to keep sucking dick and hope it eventually pays off.
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

                      Comment


                      • was just going to post this. great for him. it was funny reading some tweets earlier suggesting Dwight wanted Jose as his point guard.

                        Comment


                        • magoon wrote: View Post
                          "Tanking" for a proper rebuild means, realistically, trading up to three guys: Rudy, Lowry and DeMar. They have value, but Rudy and DeMar are overpaid and don't deliver for the money you're paying them, and Lowry's ability to truly be a starting PG is questionable plus there's no guarantee we keep him anyway. You don't trade JV, because that would be stupid. You don't trade Amir because he's the heart of the team. You can't trade Fields, because nobody wants him. Ross and Acy CAN be traded, if it makes a really good deal happen, but otherwise you keep them because they're young and have upside.

                          We move those three guys for expiring contracts, young assets and picks. We'll be able to get them, because the last 24 hours has seen the free agent market rapidly dry up as many of the good remaining free agents have committed (Iggy, OJ Mayo, Jose Calderon, Chris Copeland), and because there's still teams looking to compete who need assets.

                          Detroit's attempt to lowball us on Rudy was a pretty transparent attempt by Joe Dumars to try and establish Rudy's price early, but it failed because it was unrealistically low. (If he'd thrown in a pick it would have looked a little more credible, instead of stupid.) Detroit and Cleveland have already missed out on Iggy; they'll probably miss out on Josh Smith too. They'll want a high-quality SF. Other teams want a quality PG at low-cost; that's Lowry. Shooting guard is the thinnest position in the league; Toronto will have suitors for DeMar.

                          The thing about Rudy, Lowry and DeMar is that they are good enough to attract decent offers on the trade block, but not good enough to make you a credible championship contender. They should have INCREASE YOUR VALUE BY TRADING US written on their damn jerseys.
                          "Proper" tanking is trading away 3 players???
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                          Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                          Comment


                          • p00ka wrote: View Post
                            Utah renounced their Bird rights to Millsap, so he"s now a UFA. Only way we could snag him is with help from someone else.
                            Yup, S&T will not work as Utah has given up the Bird rights to Millsap, and can't re-sign him only to trade him. A third team would have to be involved, and the equation doesn't change much: the Raptors would have to offer a reasonable asset like DeRozan or Gay to get the deal done.

                            Related: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q40

                            Comment


                            • Very happy for Jose...but Dallas is going to make him their #1 pg for the next few years? Hmmm. If not havent they overpaid?

                              Comment


                              • Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                What point are you trying to make? None of that matter if we don't get a good draft pick. Then we have to draft again, and then again, and before you know it JV has fucked off to some other team because he's tired of losing (just like every other star player this team has had) and we're in the exact same situation we've been in for the last 10 years where no one wants to play on our team because we suck dick and never win because our only strategy is to keep sucking dick and hope it eventually pays off.
                                There is merit to what Magoon has to say. I raised the point that we already tanked once, got a great / possibly franchise player (JV) but then where did that get us? Nowhere. But this is different. Lowry is likely not with us next year (let go after a bad year or needed to be overpaid for a good contract year he may not reproduce). Gay can go after next year. You may have an argument with demar but there is an equal argument that he is a flawed player. So, without actively tanking, we may be in the same spot in two years. Why not enhance our chance to get a better pick. There are no guarantees but all you can do is increase your odds. If it doesn't work out, we were probably going to be stuck in 7-11 anyway.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X