Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Agency 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • magoon wrote: View Post
    Attention Millsap fans: he just signed with Atlanta, who are officially Not Tanking Now.
    You got a link for that? I don't see it anywhere... and Al Jefferson just signed with the Horncats, so I doubt Utah lets him leave as well.
    The Double Champ is here!
    Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
    Raptors: Larry O'Brien

    Comment


    • Mack North wrote: View Post
      You got a link for that? I don't see it anywhere... and Al Jefferson just signed with the Horncats, so I doubt Utah lets him leave as well.
      http://nba.si.com/2013/07/06/paul-mi...wks-utah-jazz/

      Comment


      • Mack North wrote: View Post
        You got a link for that? I don't see it anywhere... and Al Jefferson just signed with the Horncats, so I doubt Utah lets him leave as well.
        It's on "TheScore" apps "free agent tracker". 2 years, 19 million
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

        Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

        Comment


        • Mack North wrote: View Post
          You got a link for that? I don't see it anywhere... and Al Jefferson just signed with the Horncats, so I doubt Utah lets him leave as well.
          see here
          feeling chirpy now?>

          Comment


          • Mack North wrote: View Post
            You got a link for that? I don't see it anywhere... and Al Jefferson just signed with the Horncats, so I doubt Utah lets him leave as well.
            Nevermind, I've found it... Very surprising.

            edit: Wasn't trying to chirp anybody, my twitter machine just let me down on this one.
            Last edited by Mack North; Sat Jul 6, 2013, 02:56 AM.
            The Double Champ is here!
            Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
            Raptors: Larry O'Brien

            Comment


            • Marz wrote: View Post
              I don't really understand why this is a good trade. Yes, they get two picks... for $24 million? That seems a bit steep to me, and Golden State's pick will be out of the lottery. I think they're in a good position because they have a young and promising frontcourt, plus Gordon Hayward, but I don't understand why this trade was made at all.
              Some reasons:

              There is a floor in the NBA for salary. The Jazz have to pay $49M one way or another.

              The Jazz are not competing in the near future. Getting draft picks in addition to their own is a good thing.

              Utah is not a free agent hot spot. No big free agent is signing there right now. They have money to offer but they don't get a chance to win.

              So with no free agents coming, they look to trade. They now have $32M in expiring contracts at a time when many teams are looking at financial deals just as much as basketball deals due to prohibitive luxury tax in new CBA.

              If they don't get good players for expirings, strong possibility of getting more draft picks. Definitely not lottery picks but somewhere in 20's likely. If they have multiple high teen/20 picks they could package them to move up to late lottery to go along with their own.



              I really like it for them. They have increased flexibility and opportunity.

              Comment


              • Apollo wrote: View Post
                When you factor in the income tax maybe he cares even more about every million?
                I might be wrong but I'm certain over the length of the contract, plus endorsement money that having to pay no income tax would still get you more money than what he's leaving on the table in LA. As well that $30M is slightly exaggerated because it adds an extra year in to the mix and barring significant injuries Howard's next contract will be another max or close to max deal so a lack of a 6th year for him isn't exactly a back breaker.

                In fact at age 27 he's probably better off going 5 years and re-upping at a younger age on a long term contract to end his career than to risk an extra year's decline.

                Comment


                • Letter N wrote: View Post
                  I might be wrong but I'm certain over the length of the contract, plus endorsement money that having to pay no income tax would still get you more money than what he's leaving on the table in LA. As well that $30M is slightly exaggerated because it adds an extra year in to the mix and barring significant injuries Howard's next contract will be another max or close to max deal so a lack of a 6th year for him isn't exactly a back breaker.

                  In fact at age 27 he's probably better off going 5 years and re-upping at a younger age on a long term contract to end his career than to risk an extra year's decline.
                  Your points all valid and I am in agreement.

                  Old CBa was 5/6; new CBa is 4/5

                  That actually improves your point IMO

                  Comment


                  • Letter N wrote: View Post
                    I might be wrong but I'm certain over the length of the contract, plus endorsement money that having to pay no income tax would still get you more money than what he's leaving on the table in LA. As well that $30M is slightly exaggerated because it adds an extra year in to the mix and barring significant injuries Howard's next contract will be another max or close to max deal so a lack of a 6th year for him isn't exactly a back breaker.

                    In fact at age 27 he's probably better off going 5 years and re-upping at a younger age on a long term contract to end his career than to risk an extra year's decline.
                    I generally agree with what you're saying, as long as you keep endorsement money out of it. You can't really say he'll make more counting endorsements, because he'd have surely have better endorsement/sponsorship deals in LA.

                    Comment


                    • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I generally agree with what you're saying, as long as you keep endorsement money out of it. You can't really say he'll make more counting endorsements, because he'd have surely have better endorsement/sponsorship deals in LA.
                      But then the tax issue comes in to it again. So even with less sponsorships, he still gets more.

                      Good example is the first four years of his contract in Houston vs. LA. After 4 years, despite annual increases of just 4.5% in Houston versus 7.5% in LA, Dwight comes out plus $2.6M net in Texas.

                      Sources said Howard had a possible change of heart because of the extra $30 million he would be leaving on the table if he signed with Houston. The Lakers could have given Howard a five-year deal worth $118 million while Houston can offer $88 million over four years.

                      By going to Houston, Howard will leave $9.3 million on the table in net guaranteed dollars, because he could have received a five-year deal and more money from the Lakers, rather than the four-year maximum deal he will get by signing with another team. This assumes that Howard will be a resident of Texas instead of California, since Texas has no state income taxes, while California has the highest state income taxes in the country.

                      Comparing just the first four years of what the Lakers could pay Howard with what the Rockets likely will pay him, Howard will net $2.6 million more after taxes in Houston if he becomes a Texas resident.
                      http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ouston-rockets


                      So when anyone says he is leaving $30m on the table, be sure to correct them he has left just $9.3M and actually comes out $2.6 ahead after 4 years. Assuming he gets another contract, he'll likely come out much farther ahead financially barring a catastrophic injury or decline.

                      Comment


                      • With Millsap signing in Atlanta, all I can think is will Al Horford ever get to play his natural PF position?

                        Comment


                        • Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          But then the tax issue comes in to it again. So even with less sponsorships, he still gets more.

                          Good example is the first four years of his contract in Houston vs. LA. After 4 years, despite annual increases of just 4.5% in Houston versus 7.5% in LA, Dwight comes out plus $2.6M net in Texas.






                          http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ouston-rockets


                          So when anyone says he is leaving $30m on the table, be sure to correct them he has left just $9.3M and actually comes out $2.6 ahead after 4 years. Assuming he gets another contract, he'll likely come out much farther ahead financially barring a catastrophic injury or decline.
                          But how much less sponsorships? This is more what I'm wondering about. I mean, is there anywhere better than LA for a basketball player to grow his brand and get opportunities off the court? I'm not even convinced NY is on the same level.

                          Comment


                          • white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            But how much less sponsorships? This is more what I'm wondering about. I mean, is there anywhere better than LA for a basketball player to grow his brand and get opportunities off the court? I'm not even convinced NY is on the same level.
                            How much brand do you think D12 has left after the last 2 years of Dwightmares?

                            I think he is likely one of the (if not THE) least marketable players in the NBA.

                            For a popular athlete, I'm 100% in agreement. NY and LA are no better.

                            Comment


                            • Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              How much brand do you think D12 has left after the last 2 years of Dwightmares?

                              I think he is likely one of the (if not THE) least marketable players in the NBA.

                              For a popular athlete, I'm 100% in agreement. NY and LA are no better.
                              Ya I think Lebron went through a similar "downturn" after his Decision. At this point, the only thing that can save Dwight it seems, is championships. Then he can say it was all justified.

                              Comment


                              • Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                How much brand do you think D12 has left after the last 2 years of Dwightmares?

                                I think he is likely one of the (if not THE) least marketable players in the NBA.

                                For a popular athlete, I'm 100% in agreement. NY and LA are no better.
                                Right.....but as Joey said, championships will save him...and so even then, if he stayed in LA, which would probably have been better for his image, then won in LA, his star would shoot back up faster and higher than anywhere else.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X