No announcement yet.

DJ Augustin signs 1-year Deal with Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augustin has been on two great defensive teams in his career. His been a starter in two of his 5 years. Why do people thing his just a spot up shooter?

Holinger

I really like the progress Augustin has made as a distributor in his four seasons, but if he doesn't start making shots and getting some defensive stops, it's not going to matter. First, the good news: Augustin had a career-high assist rate, with nearly nine dimes per 40 minutes despite not having a bewildering array of options around him, and ranked seventh in the NBA in pure point rating. I think we can stop calling him a "shoot-first" guard.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• i think DJ would eat up most of the minutes. the same reason why Anderson got more mins than Ross. because coach wants to win, he rather have dj play than develop dwight, but if we go along with our winning ways we might even see an increase in dwight's pt......hopefully...
      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
      No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• dj talks to the fans ......
        (for like nine seconds)
        sweetie<3
        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          First, the shooting....Career %s aside DJ shot .353% last season, and it was his highest 3pt shooting % in 3 seasons. He shot very well from 3 his first couple of years and seems to have tailed off to a more average level. I don't consider his career %, I consider what the last 3 seasons indicate, which is a 33-35% shooter.

Second, on the defensive units...Here is my issue with Augustin and Buycks....Buycks can maybe guard the 2 spot, but it's surely going to be a problem sometimes. Meanwhile, Augustin could be guarding my grandma (who's dead) at PG and still get burned. So you risk end up getting burned at both spots, say, if they have a 2 that can post up and a 1 that can blow by.

It's very hard to go small in the backcourt and stay successful. Most teams that can either have a PG that can slide over and guard 2s (like Kidd in his Dallas days), and/or a PG that is a pretty good on the ball defender, like Conley or Teague (with Bayless and Williams respectively). So to me, Lowry-Buycks is the only situation that matches something like that. Otherwise, there's too many problems on D and it cancels out any floor-spacing on O.

I think any time the Raps try to go small with Augustin and another guard, they'll end up regretting it.
          Part of the % could be explained that he was assigned with the task to generate offense and with his ball handling flaws and diffuclties to do entry passes, was forced to get his own shot more often than not and that lead to poor shot selection. It's not like the indiana bench was aswesome though, i guess he could be more productive if he's the 3rd or 4th scorion option instead of the 1st.

That being said, i agree with your defense points, but regardless who is playing D at the 2, augustin likely will get burned more often than none. Posting shooting guard are now a rarity occurence.

Also, i doubt that Casey would go small vs a first unit as playing a rookie and augustine vs like Wade and Chalemers would be totale suicide. As I see it, it could be an option if the bench trouble to score. Not for the starting unit or to close out games.
          No, I'm Not Drake.

Comment

• FYI - the 41 off topic posts from this thread, which were related to GIF wars, an alleged developing sexual tension between particular RR posters and a gender-based brain size comparison, were moved to a new thread. To continue those discussions, go here: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-topic-chatter

Please keep the discussion in this thread on topic. Cheers

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              FYI - the 41 off topic posts from this thread, which were related to GIF wars, an alleged developing sexual tension between particular RR posters and a gender-based brain size comparison, were moved to a new thread. To continue those discussions, go here: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-topic-chatter

Please keep the discussion in this thread on topic. Cheers
              So it was you!?

Niice!
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
              X