Throwback Photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calm down leandro, calm down
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• air canada and bench reactions are back!
      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

• What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low

Comment

• What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low

Comment

Comment

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                This confuses things though. Those guys are guys you know. They are not necessarily the 7 best Greek players. And then your Serbian list includes two guys who never belonged in the NBA in the first place. There are definitely comparable or better players in Greece. Diamantidis and Spanoulis, to name two guys currently there. Nick Galis is maybe the best example, and one of the greatest players of all time to never play in the NBA, which he chose to do largely because he was too patriotic and didn't want to give up playing for Greece (because it was pre-Dream Team and so if he joined the NBA he could no longer play for Greece).

The Greek system has consistently been one of the best in the world for decades. The Serbian one's glory faded slowly after the collapse of Yugoslavia. In the 80s and 90s, maybe that team was better, but it wasn't Serbia. I would argue that now, the Greek program is superior. And that the Serbian one has been stuck in the muck since the early 2000s when the old generation stopped playing. They lost talent pools over the last 2 decades as every country has become independent and they can no longer get all the athletes funneled into one system (that was centralized in Belgrade).
                1. Agree about Gallis. He was a superstar. But other than him, they did not have much. Out of the player mentioned, Saikally was the only one who really had Greek heritage.

2. Number of players who have taken Greek citizenship and later ended up playing in the NBA, Stojakovic, Jaric and Tarlac actually came threw the same youth system of Red Star Belgrade basketball club. That club have produced quite a few NBA players including Radmanovic, Rakocevic...and even had a player in the 1st round of this season draft in Nedovic. And thay are not even the best team in Belgrade.

3. Greeks have better league based on the fact that they have a lot of foreign players and that best Serbian players play abroad. You have to make a distinction between making players and having a good league.

4. Basketball system in old Yugoslavia was not centralized in Belgrade. Cibona Zagreb had great system which produced Drazen Petrovic. Split was even better with players such as Kukoc and Radja. It was far from centralized. Best Croatian players played in Croatia while best Serbian players played in Serbia. Other republics did not have much to offer.

Comment

• Karl Marx. wrote: View Post
                  1. Agree about Gallis. He was a superstar. But other than him, they did not have much. Out of the player mentioned, Saikally was the only one who really had Greek heritage.

2. Number of players who have taken Greek citizenship and later ended up playing in the NBA, Stojakovic, Jaric and Tarlac actually came threw the same youth system of Red Star Belgrade basketball club. That club have produced quite a few NBA players including Radmanovic, Rakocevic...and even had a player in the 1st round of this season draft in Nedovic. And thay are not even the best team in Belgrade.

3. Greeks have better league based on the fact that they have a lot of foreign players and that best Serbian players play abroad. You have to make a distinction between making players and having a good league.

4. Basketball system in old Yugoslavia was not centralized in Belgrade. Cibona Zagreb had great system which produced Drazen Petrovic. Split was even better with players such as Kukoc and Radja. It was far from centralized. Best Croatian players played in Croatia while best Serbian players played in Serbia. Other republics did not have much to offer.
                  If you're talking about Serbian basketball, you can't include the Croatian school, which split off a long time ago. The Croatian players did play for Yugoslavia for a while. The Serbian basketball team has only existed a short time, and in that time, they have not continued the tradition of excellence started by the Yugoslav team. It's fairly obvious this is in large part to losing control over other nations that supplied talent. By funneling, I meant metaphorically as guys had to represent Yugoslavia rather than be able to represent what would eventually become several different nation-states.

Serbia have had two good finishes (a 2nd at a Eurobasket and a 4th at a Worlds), and had awful finishes other than that since 2002. They failed to qualify for the 2008 and 2012 Olympics (Greece failed to for 2012 as well). They did poorly in most all of their other showings since 2002. Has Greece done much better? They definitely did in the period right after 2002...for the mid-late 00s, they were a better national team. And Serbia has done nothing to suggest that they are on a path to make them stronger than Greece again, like they were in the days of Yugoslavia. As of now, neither team is in a great situation for the last couple of years as they both failed to get to London.

If you're comparing the Serbian to the Greek system, now the Greek system is better. Was the consolidated Yugoslav system better? Yes (and even then not by a big margin). But now? No. Yes, the top Greek clubs tend to sign foreign players, but they also primarily are filled with Greeks. The top teams are not particularly more filled with foreigners than top teams in other leagues. The reason more players don't go to Serbia is because the top Russian, Spanish and Greek teams invariably offer better deals. That's also why Serbians leave Serbia.

i also don't understand that part of your argument in general. For example, Serbians leave Serbia to play in Greece. Why would they leave to play in a worse basketball league? Oh wait, it's not. But yet, despite the better league, which is also how countries grow their own talent, you're arguing they have a worse system. So the system results in a more competitive league that attracts better players, and these are the leagues where Greeks grow their talent, but the Greek system is worse than the Serbian....?

And just to say, I didn't mean that basketball was centralized, I meant that the state was centralized in Belgrade.

Comment

• Lets get back on topic here boys lol

Comment

• Back when Amir had that long chin hair going haha

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

• carmelo??
                                Last edited by lilmamba_; Sat Aug 3, 2013, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X