Tim Leiweke Apologizes to Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Were any outsiders actually shaking their heads? This seems like such a non story.
    This reminds me of when Doug Smith started in on Timmer, and claimed people 'around the NBA' were questioning the process. He then linked one of his cowriters at the star as evidence of it

It really seems to me that the people most bothered by Tim's dealings with BC (although obviously not necessarily everyones), were those who were defending BC or supporting BC right to the bitter end. Doug Smith just happens to be the most obvious example of this.

If anything alot of the criticisms were directed at keeping Colangelo within arms reach in the first place and the questionable structure it left in place.

Comment

You know.. Doug Smith knows more about the inner workings of the organization than any of us. He's likely just bitter over Colangelo getting dissed because he liked him. But, there has to be more to it, no?

Really he hasn't bad mouthed Ujiri at all. Only Leiweke and I've heard others bad mouth Leiweke..

And I get it. He came in here thinking he's smarter and better than everyone cause he's a big bad American and it's rubbed people the wrong way. Rightfully so, because he is ignorant to everything to do with MLSE and the fan base and all that..
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        You know.. Doug Smith knows more about the inner workings of the organization than any of us. He's likely just bitter over Colangelo getting dissed because he liked him. But, there has to be more to it, no?

Really he hasn't bad mouthed Ujiri at all. Only Leiweke and I've heard others bad mouth Leiweke..

And I get it. He came in here thinking he's smarter and better than everyone cause he's a big bad American and it's rubbed people the wrong way. Rightfully so, because he is ignorant to everything to do with MLSE and the fan base and all that..
        How is promising to build a winning, championship-caliber franchise "ignorant"? He came in and said 'success' should never be thought of by an organization or its fans as being 'competitive' or being a 'playoff team', but that was the case in Raptor-land - 15 years of failure and ineptness and disappointment and lowering expectations will do that! He wanted to hit the reset button on our behalf, so that we once again equated 'success' to 'championships'... how is that a bad thing?

I get how talking like that could be taken as a backhanded slap across the face of the past regime, but if that's what happens by speaking the truth candidly, isn't that just a bigger indication of the depth/breadth of failure that the previous regime brought about??

Comment

Just my opinion, but I think Doug's real problem is he spent years putting his ego and reputation on the line defending Colangelo (not only in what he said, but how he said it) and Timmer basically made him look like a fool (unintentionally ofcourse). Anything short of keeping Colangelo around was unacceptable. Publically claiming (paraphrase) 'I'm being forced to keep BC around against my will' was basically an insult to Mr. Smith.

This is why an 'apology' to Colangelo was important to Doug. All ego, not anything rational or relevant.

Comment

I think Colangelo owes this fan base an apology LONG before Lieweke owes Colangelo one.

Just saying...
            Why?
            Why ask why?
            Curiosity
            Simply for the lack of results we had to endure for the past 7 years.

Comment

Why?
              What do you mean why? are you high?

Comment

Two things about the article:

1) The headline: "Tim Leiweke’s apology to former Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo a solid first step: Smith".

This is a strange headline, if you think about it. Clearly he isn't talking about purely basketball moves; TL's first step was hiring Ujiri. So what's he referring to? The way he deals with the media? I personally have no problem with anything TL's done or said up to this point, and I'm kind of amazed that Smith would go so far as to frame the entire column around that.

And, according to him, this is just the first step? Doug expects more? What does he want, a complete personality overhaul so that our fragile Canadian sensibilities can be spared from even having the unbearable misfortune to witness TL's terrifying, brutish behaviour? (And as an aside, I find Doug's sudden interest in politeness more than a little hypocritical given his tendency to insult and belittle people who write into his blog.)

2) In the first paragraph "...a group of us got to spend with Tim Leiweke and a few of his Henchpeople on Friday morning when he visited with our editorial board."

Straight-up shots-fired on Doug's part. He intentionally likened TL to a villain (because who has henchmen but a villain?), while at the same time completely disrespecting whoever these actual "Henchpeople" are. I'd say that what Doug did with that single sentence is more offensive than anything that ever came out of Leiweke's mouth.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

1) The headline: "Tim Leiweke’s apology to former Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo a solid first step: Smith".

This is a strange headline, if you think about it. Clearly he isn't talking about purely basketball moves; TL's first step was hiring Ujiri. So what's he referring to? The way he deals with the media? I personally have no problem with anything TL's done or said up to this point, and I'm kind of amazed that Smith would go so far as to frame the entire column around that.

And, according to him, this is just the first step? Doug expects more? What does he want, a complete personality overhaul so that our fragile Canadian sensibilities can be spared from even having the unbearable misfortune to witness TL's terrifying, brutish behaviour? (And as an aside, I find Doug's sudden interest in politeness more than a little hypocritical given his tendency to insult and belittle people who write into his blog.)

2) In the first paragraph "...a group of us got to spend with Tim Leiweke and a few of his Henchpeople on Friday morning when he visited with our editorial board."

Straight-up shots-fired on Doug's part. He intentionally likened TL to a villain (because who has henchmen but a villain?), while at the same time completely disrespecting whoever these actual "Henchpeople" are. I'd say that what Doug did with that single sentence is more offensive than anything that ever came out of Leiweke's mouth.
                  The hell bent atmosphere in shitting on both BC and Smith is getting absurd. Smith has been using that same term for years in describing BCs support group, and he uses it in the sense of another acceptable definition of the term: "a trusted attendant, supporter, or follower.". That's exactly how he's been using the term, and there's nothing offensive about it.

Your first point about the headline is equally slanted, imo. Yeah, there's some misplaced snark coming out of him at times, but he mostly belittles assholes that insult him. *yawn*

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                    Just my opinion, but I think Doug's real problem is he spent years putting his ego and reputation on the line defending Colangelo (not only in what he said, but how he said it) and Timmer basically made him look like a fool (unintentionally ofcourse). Anything short of keeping Colangelo around was unacceptable. Publically claiming (paraphrase) 'I'm being forced to keep BC around against my will' was basically an insult to Mr. Smith.

This is why an 'apology' to Colangelo was important to Doug. All ego, not anything rational or relevant.
                    The article seems to show that Doug does have some better insight into the inner workings of MLSE management. He has to, it's part of his job.

As a manager, I've been trained that controversy and friction can breed positive results, if handled correctly.

I've benefitted from heavy handed critique in the past, and so will the MLSE. A good shit-disturbing once in awhile to shake out the moths is a positive thing.

As far as Brian is concerned, he needs someone to hold the mirror up to him and show him what an over-all failure his strategy, style and outlook is. It seems to me that BC has always hid behind a cloud of psychological babble-speak, and never owned up to his failures. Doug Smith certainly rarely held him to task, which is really what a good journalist is supposed to do.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post

Maybe Tim, Massai and their entourage have shut Doug out, and Doug is getting bitter as he watches his bread and butter start to depart.

Maybe Tim recognizes that Doug's years of cooing and coddling Brian's failure have been a fairly big part of the perpetuated culture of failure that has plagued the MLSE for years. Maybe Doug's part of the purge, and not happy about it, and that's why his article is so personal.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

How did I miss this?

Nailed it.

Comment

Simply for the lack of results we had to endure for the past 7 years.
                          Or do the people keeping him there owe you an apology? You know, they're a lot of the same people who led to the downward spiral and the hiring of Babcock as well...

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                            Smith has been using that same term for years in describing BCs support group
                            I don't remember ever having come across this, but if that's true, then I'm willing to downgrade from "offensive". We could go "careless", "reckless", possibly even "arrogant". With this article, Smith clearly set out to write a serious, borderline melodramatic piece. To then refer to Leiweke's associates as "Henchpeople" just didn't fit that tone, and, IMO, ends up being disrespectful.

The hell bent atmosphere in shitting on both BC and Smith is getting absurd.
                            There are no games to watch, and it's kinda fun.

and he uses it in the sense of another acceptable definition of the term: "a trusted attendant, supporter, or follower."
                            He should really be more careful as a writer then, because my vocabulary ain't bad, and I didn't know of that definition until now.

Of course, could be that that's exactly his plan - it lets him sneak an insult in and then if anyone calls him on it he can just say "guys, I didn't mean it that way!"

Your first point about the headline is equally slanted, imo. Yeah, there's some misplaced snark coming out of him at times, but he mostly belittles assholes that insult him.
                            My first point didn't have anything to do with his snark.

*yawn*
                            LOL
                            Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Jul 30, 2013, 06:00 PM.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I think you're being a tad oversensitive. Firing a guy after leading a franchise to 7 years of failure and bringing in a new leader who is bound to talk about his vision/strategy for the team (which will be different from the old guy, otherwise why fire the old guy), is going to inevitably lead to some "disrespecting" of the old leader. BC's firing was part of a significant internal management overhaul, to create a new culture and new outlook for the team and its fans. Stating the facts and talking openly/honestly is refreshing, especially for an organization that desperately needed a change. Speaking positively about the "new" will be a slap in the face of the "old", but when the "old" was such a collosal failure, what's the big deal? I would have been irked if the new leadership team had come in and not acknowledged the failures and disappointment of the past 7 years!

Any negatives said about BC were in reference to the results he produced, not in reference to him as a person. There were no personal attacks and BC was even given another executive position within the organization, specifically because of his success in other areas (ie: growing basketball in Canada, relations with corporate partners, relations with NBA, leading campaign to bring NBA all-star game to Canada, etc...) and the respect TL had for him as an executive. I personally saw no reason for TL to apologize to anybody.
                              Ok, but you miss the point. He isn't sop much apologizing just for things he may have said. It was the treatment, the role change, the keeping Colangelo on in some silly made up position. It was a huge Gaff and everyone knew it.

Had the guy just simply used the standard process used to let GM's and coaches go, cut ties, thanked him for his hard work, and moved on, EVERYONE would have been better off. Thats not what they did.

ALL OF THIS SAID.... don't read too much into any of these articles guys, It's July, there is ZERO to fill pages with right now. T: apologizing is back page news in November, if its even news at all. Smith didn't do anything wrong. And all this talk about Smith being bitter....Smith being angry because he has been "shut out" by the new GM...oh good god...this is simply rubbish guys. it really is.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                Rubbish is being kind, but apt.

Comment

Working...
                                X