Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Raptors only have one non-American left on the team - Jonas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Raptors only have one non-American left on the team - Jonas

    Every single player on the current roster went to school in the US except for JV.

    Seems like the management has taken notice and stopped the stockpiling of international talent once and for all.

    I'm curious if it was the fans' outcry against the Euro flavour, or if they just realized its a league dominated by superior athletes born in America. Maybe it's both? Can't be a coincidence, even if the number of international players was a little lower in the past few years than 06/07.

  • #2
    It's totally a coincidence. Stop reading so much into things. It has nothing to do with anything other than trying to get good players. After all, Ujiri cut his teeth as a scout, and specifically as an international scout. To think that he'd stay away from foreign players is nuts.

    *Also, it's actually harder to sign international players when you're strapped for cash. Even though they might not demand a ton of money, it's hard to get them at the minimum, between any buy-out, and compensating them for the risk of leaving an established, successful career. Even harder if you're not a contender.

    **Also, wasn't it pretty widely known/accepted that the international talent pool had been picked pretty clean the last few years? For a while, there was just less movement across the ocean.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 05:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      The Raptors did a poor job scouting international players. Even when they got solid international players they let them go (MB for instance). It's best to reset and get players that fit exactly what's needed. Remember Buyks played in France-- it's not like they're not scouting Europe. Almost every team has international players, it's not a big deal. I'm sure the Raps will add international players in the future.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
        C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
        PF Nowitzki/Horford/Ibaka
        SF Deng/Ilyasova/Kirilenko
        SG Ginobili/Batum/Galinari
        PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
        Pretty sure Raptors fans wouldn't mind seeing their roster look like that?

        Comment


        • #5
          dzoni71 wrote: View Post
          There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
          C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
          PF Nowitzki/Horford/Ibaka
          SF Deng/Ilyasova/Kirilenko
          SG Ginobili/Batum/Galinari
          PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
          Pretty sure Raptors fans wouldn't mind seeing their roster look like that?
          This x1000

          I don't give a damn if the players are from Europe, Asia, America, Africa or freaking Pluto. All that matters is if they're good.

          Going out of your way to avoid international players is idiotic. Thank God BC didn't do this in the 2011 draft after striking out on several Euros in the past via the draft and FA. Otherwise we'd probably have Brandon Knight right now instead of Jonas.

          Comment


          • #6
            dzoni71 wrote: View Post
            There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
            C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
            PF Nowitzki/Horford/Ibaka
            SF Deng/Ilyasova/Kirilenko
            SG Ginobili/Batum/Galinari
            PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
            Pretty sure Raptors fans wouldn't mind seeing their roster look like that?
            Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..

            Comment


            • #7
              dzoni71 wrote: View Post
              There are only two types of players - good players and bad players. No other classification needed. Just for kicks here is a NBA roster of solely international players:
              C Marc Gasol/Noah/Jonas
              PF Nowitzki/Horford/Ibaka
              SF Deng/Ilyasova/Kirilenko
              SG Ginobili/Batum/Galinari
              PG Parker/Rubio/Calderon
              Pretty sure Raptors fans wouldn't mind seeing their roster look like that?
              Isnt Noah from New York?

              Comment


              • #8
                mountio wrote: View Post
                Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..
                Yeah by that logic Kyrie Irving is international as well.

                Comment


                • #9
                  mountio wrote: View Post
                  Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..
                  I wouldn't compare any of these to Duncan. Tim is born on US soil, played for Team USA so he is definitely an American player. Noah plays for France is of foreign parents and was only born in the US. Deng was born in Africa, spent most of his childhood in the UK and plays for Britain. Just because someone played college basketball does not mean they are not international players, for example Vucevic attended USC, but I do not think anyone would classify him an American.
                  It doesn't really matter cause I could have easily replaced them with Pau Gasol, Pekovic and Varejao, that would still be a pretty good team.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    mountio wrote: View Post
                    Agree with your general point .. but for the record, you are stretching to call Noah, Deng, Horford international players in the sense that they went to big time college programs and thus from a scouting perspective are essentially American players. Duncan would be a similar case ..
                    Do you consider Andrew Wiggins American then?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Xixak wrote: View Post
                      Yeah by that logic Kyrie Irving is international as well.
                      At one point, he was considering playing for Australia I believe in International competition.
                      But didn't because he wanted to eventually be considered elligible for Team USA.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Do you consider Andrew Wiggins American then?
                        joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        At one point, he was considering playing for Australia I believe in International competition.
                        But didn't because he wanted to eventually be considered elligible for Team USA.
                        Touche.

                        There's more than one type of International player I guess:

                        - Born outside the USA, played professionally overseas before going to the NBA
                        - Born outside the USA, came over to the NCAA or HS Prep system before going to the NBA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Do you consider Andrew Wiggins American then?
                          The term American and Euro in NBA terminology basically means NCAA and International club team. So ya, Wiggins falls into the American category and all the South Americans, Africans and Brandon Jennings fall into Euro.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors did a poor job scouting international players. Even when they got solid international players they let them go (MB for instance). It's best to reset and get players that fit exactly what's needed. Remember Buyks played in France-- it's not like they're not scouting Europe. Almost every team has international players, it's not a big deal. I'm sure the Raps will add international players in the future.
                            Who the hell is MB?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Letter N wrote: View Post
                              The term American and Euro in NBA terminology basically means NCAA and International club team. So ya, Wiggins falls into the American category and all the South Americans, Africans and Brandon Jennings fall into Euro.
                              Can I get a source for that term? Or did you just pull it out of your ass.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X