Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other teams moves = change in Raptors plans? or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    I take the man at his word and believe he's in evaluation mode. Maybe I just don't want to believe he's bullshitting us, but everything he has said and done/not done supports that, and with so many young players, what they were last year can be very different than what they are this coming year.

Something I just thought of as a possibility, considering Casey was kept, without an extension, is:
    - Casey has higher hopes for more of these guys that many do, particularly as a TEAM being greater than sum of parts
    - believes that given free reins to run the team as he sees fit, with emphasis on D, he can make something of this
    - he convinced MU to give him a shot with this core.
    - UM said, okay have at it while I assess where they're at, how they fit, and what deals are available.
    Of course what you say is plausible. But consider that from his viewpoint isnt it easier to deflect detailed questioning on his plans from the masses/sports writers by dropping the evaluation card? He seems like a pretty cagey sort.

Keeping Casey on, fmv, was a no-brainer with things in flux. If they discussed plans, Casey must have bought into it and MU said "show me" or something to that effect.

Is reading the tea leaves a sport?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      I asked a similar question recently in a thread. A month or so ago most people were expecting half of the Conference to be trying to bottom out which made the playoffs seem like a relatively easy goal for the Raptors next season. But it has swung in the opposite direction. Cleveland, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Washington and Detroit all appear motivated to make the playoffs. Even Charlotte took a step in the right direction with the Jefferson signing, although they should still be a pretty miserable team.

Most of the answers were just homers that claimed the Raptors were clearly better than all those other teams anyway. Make of that what you will.
      I wouldn't say Milwaukee is motivated to make the playoffs. They're kinda suck in purgatory right now...

Comment

Something I just thought of as a possibility, considering Casey was kept, without an extension, is:
        - Casey has higher hopes for more of these guys that many do, particularly as a TEAM being greater than sum of parts
        - believes that given free reins to run the team as he sees fit, with emphasis on D, he can make something of this
        - he convinced MU to give him a shot with this core.
        - UM said, okay have at it while I assess where they're at, how they fit, and what deals are available.
        Casey's skills as a coach are being evaluated by Masai just like every player is - it seems to be generally accepted that last season BC was interfering with his preferred coaching style, and that the team didn't get an offensive coordinator so that Case could concentrate on D and player encouragement which are his specialties. So now Casey gets a season to show what he can do.

Besides, it doesn't make sense to fire Casey right away anyway. A GM only gets so many opportunities to fire coaches before people point the finger at the GM instead. Best to save them for when you need them.

And, as an aside, the SB Nation power rankings have Toronto at #22 overall and tenth in the East: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/3...on-heat-sixers

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          Of course what you say is plausible. But consider that from his viewpoint isnt it easier to deflect detailed questioning on his plans from the masses/sports writers by dropping the evaluation card? He seems like a pretty cagey sort.

Keeping Casey on, fmv, was a no-brainer with things in flux. If they discussed plans, Casey must have bought into it and MU said "show me" or something to that effect.

Is reading the tea leaves a sport?
          Well, my babbling of a theory is one thing, but when you say "I am surprised many responders in the thread believe that MU is in a evaluating mode.", my primary point is that I take the man at his word, as I guess many do. I see no reason to question the man's honesty and integrity. Have at it if it works for you, but I feel it's not so unbelievable that many don't.

Comment

Cleveland ,Washington and Detroit have maxed out ..raps still have alot of room for improvement plus there all on the same level

Comment

Man ... Detroit sure does have some respectable names on their roster...
              They could use a near elite SF though ... someone like oh ... I dunno Gay
              I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough/Ross for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
              We'd get $17M off the books in 2014 + Drummond + a #15-20 Draft pick ...

Sounds kinda tenforthewin-ish though ...
              Last edited by mike, prague; Wed Jul 31, 2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                Man ... Detroit sure does have some respectable names on their roster...
                They could use a near elite SF though ... someone like oh ... I dunno Gay
                I'd be all in for a Gay + Hansborough for Charlie V + Drummond + Stuckey? + 2014 top 10 protected
                Sounds kinda tenforthewin-ish though ...
                Problem is the Pistons don't have a pick to trade - it belongs to Charlotte.

Drummond is not going to happen, imo, but Monroe could.

Here is who has what picks: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/dra...rafts/detailed

Charlotte makes a lot of sense to me with Gay and Lowry heading there. Problem is they could both leave as FAs leaving Charlotte with nothing. How much do they - or any team - give up in that situation?

Comment

Weathers15 wrote: View Post
                  Cleveland ,Washington and Detroit have maxed out ..raps still have alot of room for improvement plus there all on the same level
                  I'd say you're wrong about all three but definitely Cleveland and Washington. The Cavs have 4 players who were taken in the top four during the last 3 drafts... the oldest one is Tristan Thompson who turned 22 a couple months ago. They'll have enough cap room next summer to add a max player and they have 4 more first rounders over the next two drafts. Washington has 3 top five picks from the last 4 drafts and only something like $20 million guaranteed in salary going into next summer.
                  Last edited by Fully; Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Well, my babbling of a theory is one thing, but when you say "I am surprised many responders in the thread believe that MU is in a evaluating mode.", my primary point is that I take the man at his word, as I guess many do. I see no reason to question the man's honesty and integrity. Have at it if it works for you, but I feel it's not so unbelievable that many don't.
                    I wouldn't say he's being dishonest or question his integrity just because he hasn't exposed his cards for the entire league to see. No matter what his plan is, he does himself no favours by broadcasting it. If he says that he's tearing the team down and rebuilding, his players immediately lose value. If he comes out and says that they're going to run with this core and he's on the market for an all star type player, other GMs will just raise their price.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                      I wouldn't say Milwaukee is motivated to make the playoffs. They're kinda suck in purgatory right now...
                      There have been plenty of reports that their ownership group mandates the playoffs every year. Whether they're able to keep their head above water remains to be seen but I think it's clear that they're trying to stay competitive. They handed out a lot of money to veterans for a team that was planning on rebuilding.

Comment

So let me get this straight.
                        If someone is optimistic about the Raptors he's a homer.
                        If they're pessimistic they're a realist?

I don't get that.
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                          So let me get this straight.
                          If someone is optimistic about the Raptors he's a homer.
                          If they're pessimistic they're a realist?

I don't get that.

I don't know about that. My own personal views are a little more complex then that.

For instance, I'm optimistic that Masai will do better than BC.

I'm pessimistic that Casey is the right coach for THIS roster.

I can envision scenarios where the Raps win 50 games this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we are one
                          injury away from 30 - 35 wins.

You can go in a bunch of differing directions based on the topic at hand.

I for one happen to think our long term future is quite rosy.
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I think it's safe to see Teague and Sanders are going to get plenty of burn and they will be shooting for a high pick. I think you can officially put the Bucks in Tank Mode, which I hope frees up Ilysova
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              I don't know about that. My own personal views are a little more complex then that.

For instance, I'm optimistic that Masai will do better than BC.

I'm pessimistic that Casey is the right coach for THIS roster.

I can envision scenarios where the Raps win 50 games this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we are one
                              injury away from 30 - 35 wins.

You can go in a bunch of differing directions based on the topic at hand.

I for one happen to think our long term future is quite rosy.
                              Not everyone is fair like that though lol
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                I think it's safe to see Teague and Sanders are going to get plenty of burn and they will be shooting for a high pick. I think you can officially put the Bucks in Tank Mode, which I hope frees up Ilysova
                                Jeff Teague is on the Hawks

Comment

Working...
                                X