How many losses before it's BLOWN UP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many losses before it's BLOWN UP!

Last Season the raps started 4-19 and basically eliminated themselves from the playoffs before Santa checked his list for the first time. It can be said that the goal last year was MOST definitely see how the season goes and maybe we are a playoff team and maybe we are not, and if we are not THEN we can move Bargnani/Calderon/Kleiza/BC. I'm sure they were all shopped earlier then when they departed but due to injuries they stayed longer.

I see a very similar situation this year in that we don't really know how the East is going to play out. Some teams got better (Detroit, Cleveland) and we are really relying on a TRAINING CAMP to see if we are actually better because our additions are inferior to those teams. However the argument is that our guys are already good and we are relying on internal development (JV, ROSS, DD....again, etc.) plus our training camp to mesh it all together and create a team chemistry that no other team gains apparently. My question....

How long do we wait until we decide to make that decision of BLOWING IT UP, or scraping for the bread crumbs of the 7th/8th seed? If it's the trade deadline and we are 5 out sitting tenth is it TNT time? I personally feel that we need to be currently in the playoff picture at TD to go for it or at a minimum 4 games out (but playing good with no injuries) if we go for it. The risk of falling short is just not worth it.

Depends, how many games are there before the trade deadline?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I say 1....... THE PRESSURE'S ON RAPTORS

but then again, I'm expecting the perfect season 82-0 baby

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Trade deadline is usually about 55 games in.

I think anything hovering .500 or below after 30 games is enough to bring in the tanks.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I think anything hovering .500 or below after 30 games is enough to bring in the tanks.
          sounds about right
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Last season had 27 I believe, so use 25 as a nice round figure if you want.

Comment

Depends on whether blowing it up is even an option for Ujiri. He has only gone on record to say hat he is evaluating the team for now. Regardless of how good or how bad he may not see blowing it up as a viable option.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

15-15 could be 7th at that point. You'd be expected by fan base to continue to shoot for playoffs with that record. If it's 25-30 and you're tenth by the deadline then by all means.

Comment

Need to see the schedule first. I believe it comes out this week. If they open with a tough stretch (almost always the case) that will affect the timeline I would think.

Comment

UM can't blow it up until he has willing trade partners. He may decide to after "x" number of games/losses, but we'll likely not know until he can do something that makes sense, which may be only when other teams decide they need to make a move to improve with what he's offering.

Comment

Sheptor wrote: View Post
                      15-15 could be 7th at that point. You'd be expected by fan base to continue to shoot for playoffs with that record. If it's 25-30 and you're tenth by the deadline then by all means.
                      It might be 7th. It might be 9th.

TL has already laid the groundwork for such a trade.

That reasoning is partly what had Colangelo keep Bosh and Milwaukee send Harris for Redick last season.

If you can bring back a proven young talent, first round draft picks, and lots of financial flexibility, I think it is an easy sell once you start talking about the goal is more than 7-11 and the prospect of getting other 19/very early 20 talent paired with JV.

But back to original point, you might be right that .500 is a bit too high after 30 games if they are in the playoff picture. Say 13-17 and sitting in 9th? lol

Comment

I think it's worth remembering that .500 isn't even a guarantee of making playoffs - three times since 2000 the 8th seed in the East has had a better than .500 record. And when you consider how bad some of the dedicated tank teams are going to be (Philly is going to be abysmally, incredibly bad - ditto Phoenix) that means there will be more wins generally needed to make playoffs in the first place.

Still pessimistic about Toronto's chances of playoffs. I think Masai is specifically waiting to see how his best potential trade partners react. If he wants 2014 first-rounders, thirteen teams have already dealt away their first-rounder this year (most of them on a protected basis, granted, but traded means traded). Four more are ineligible because they've committed to trading their 2015 first-rounder (the Lakers, the Clippers, the Heat and Memphis). His best trade targets are probably Cleveland and Milwaukee, both of whom want to make playoffs quite badly and who both have their own 2014 picks to trade.

(I also still think Charlotte, if they go on an early run like they did last year, will start looking to improve via trade immediately - even if they shouldn't. They can't trade their own pick, but they have Detroit's and Portland's - both protected, but Detroit will likely not fall within the top 8 protection and Portland has a good shot at avoiding top-12.)

Comment

Obviously, our record plays a key roll in whether we tank, but there are other factors. Is Gay doing well? Will he fetch a bounty? Or is he being shitty, so all we got is some bread crust types like Charlie V and Stuckey? Is Lowry causing locker room problems and fighting with the coach? Can he distribute the ball? These types of things may dictate what we can (or can't) fetch if we tank.

Comment

I don't know if there is a target number of losses which would send us into tank mode. I also don't think MU will send this team into a full on tank situation. His contract is for 3 years, that doesn't give him alot of time to elevate this club, but he has the flexibility going forward to make enough moves to send this team in a better direction and get extended himself. I think MU probably already has and will continue throughout the season to see what he can get for some of our key players. If the right trade appears, I'll think he'll pull the trigger, regardless of our record. I'm convinced MU does not want to ride BC's lineup into the playoffs and wants to put his mark on this club. I don't think playoffs this season is a priority, but if the team seriously over-achieves, MU may just look to add an impact type player somehow and see where that takes us.

Comment

MU's contract is for 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X