Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey TorStar- we deserve a Raptor's beat reporter that actually likes basketball.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    ... I kinda like leo ...

At least he'd rather talk ball then sing bon jovi like armstrong and devlin.

we're halfway there! Woooah! Livin' on a prayer!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

ugh, i hate leo, talks about the same things over and over...
      topic #1- my son in Lithuania
      topic #2- j.v
      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
      No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I don't think he hates basketball. It's just that under Colangelo he was a trusted guy that they leaked information to, and under Masai he's learning about stuff when everyone else does. Basically, he has to work for information again.. like, you know, do his job.

And after so many years of not doing anything, he's mad that he has to work again.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          ... I kinda like Leo ...

At least he'd rather talk ball then sing Bon Jovi like Armstrong and Devlin.
          I'd take both armstrong and devlin over leo 10/10 times. Armstrong knows more ball than Leo and Devlin knows his shit too when it comes to the NBA in general. Leo gives grade school insight and its always the same shit over and over

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
            I don't think he hates basketball. It's just that under Colangelo he was a trusted guy that they leaked information to, and under Masai he's learning about stuff when everyone else does. Basically, he has to work for information again.. like, you know, do his job.

And after so many years of not doing anything, he's mad that he has to work again.
            Masai was here with Colangelo for how many years? 4 or 5?

You're telling me him and Smith didn't talk and form some kind of a relationship?
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              See, I wasn't going there at all but I like the direction you're taking in general. How about:

Smug Smith
              Either works.hahaha

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                At the same time can we get jonesy and smith from radio onto tv, pretty please?
                As someone who listens to a lot of games while doing work around the house, I can say that these might be the wisest words ever written anywhere in this forum.

Comment

Hey, hey, let's stay on Smug Smith here. haha

- I don't think Smug was that well connected with BC. Because the evidence suggests that he NEVER got any scoops on trades or moves. SI or Yahoo always got the jump on him. Many times, he'd pooh-pooh a rumour and then something would go down the very next day. But I have nothing personal against Doug. I just wish the Star would do him a favour and get him on another beat.

- My Matt Devlin story: It was my first time in the Raptors' press area covering a game with a bunch of other very green journalists. Devlin comes walking down the hallway as we are all in a scrum for Jeremy Lin when he made his first visit as a GSW. Devlin is a tall dude. From all the way down the hallway, the guy is looking at my press pass and squinting, then gives a face, like: "What are these fckrs doing here?" Made me feel like a chump.

- My Leo Rautins story: I'm in the good seats for once, 3rd row I recall, so we are near courtside. Leo walks by to prep for his broadcast before the game. The girl behind me goes to her bf: "Who's that guy?" Bf: "That's Leo Rautins." Girl: "He gives off a vibe of a total dck!" hahahah I LOL'd beer out of my nose.
                  Last edited by mikekosic; Fri Aug 2, 2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    Masai was here with Colangelo for how many years? 4 or 5?

You're telling me him and Smith didn't talk and form some kind of a relationship?
                    Would it matter? I don't think Smith had a working relationship with Colangelo either. I think MU runs a tighter ship and Smith has been cut out from that inner information circle if there ever was one. His bitterness has shown over the past month or so.

And I agree, always got the 'smugness' feeling from reading his columns. Can't stand the guy.
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

Don't EVER vouch for Jones again. He's the absolute worst to listen to.
                      Deadallus

Comment

Never understood why so many people hate devlin. He has an exciting and pumped commentary style. Prob why the people at TNT hire him to do playoff games and not others? I mean, would you rather listen the likes of commentators on cavs, knicks, celtics games? Bunch of old people talking in monotone at a slow-ass word-a-minute?

Comment

Never understood why so many people hate devlin. He has an exciting and pumped commentary style. Prob why the people at TNT hire him to do playoff games and not others? I mean, would you rather listen the likes of commentators on cavs, knicks, celtics games? Bunch of old people talking in monotone at a slow-ass word-a-minute?
                          I don't think Devlin is awful...He's kinda odd. And he makes some really bad random mistakes. Also, I swear, and I think it's probably because the Raps have sucked, so I don't mind that much, but I'm 99% sure he's done some broadcasts at least a little bit drunk.

Comment

Personally I do because

1) I don't think he understands basketball all that well.

2) He's can be a real douche to his colour man. He routinely cuts them off, ignores them, or contradicts them. I don't care so much in Leo's case; in fact, I think it's kind of funny, especially when Leo gets angry and then starts firing back at him passive-agressively. But Jack deserves better than that.

3) He reminds of Michael Scott.

But I agree with you with respect to some of the other commentators you hear around league. So many of them are just god awful. The bar seems to be set extremely low, and by comparison Devlin isn't bad. But that doesn't mean he's good imo.

I happened to be watching a random Hawks game this year (don't ask why - I couldn't even tell you why) and they had an MC guest commentating for a quarter. I think it was The Game, but I can't be sure. And Dominique Wilkins was in the booth with him. Anyways, it was the greatest quarter of NBA commentating I've heard in my life. The MC really knew his shit, and it was clear that he really loved basketball, and since he's an MC he was kind of freestyling the whole time. It was incredible.

So I think we need to figure out how to get an MC into our broadcast booth. What's Kardinal up to these days?
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              2) He's can be a real douche to his colour man. He routinely cuts them off, ignores them, or contradicts them. I don't care so much in Leo's case; in fact, I think it's kind of funny, especially when Leo gets angry and then starts firing back at him passive-agressively. But Jack deserves better than that.
                              in the past season or two, jack's style has really hit the fan. he shits on the raptors alot now, though i just assumed he got fed up with them as much as we have. but i still dont think thats appropriate for a commentator which is why i want him to go.

that and i can only take his voice so much before i literally have to change the channel.

Comment

in the past season or two, jack's style has really hit the fan. he shits on the raptors alot now, though i just assumed he got fed up with them as much as we have. but i still dont think thats appropriate for a commentator which is why i want him to go.

that and i can only take his voice so much before i literally have to change the channel.
                                the mute button also works
                                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                                X