Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESPN 5-on-5: Rudy Gay most Overrated Small Forward.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xixak
    replied
    Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    I don't think these people know the difference between overpaid and overrated. Gay is overpaid but not overrated. Overrated means anything that is given way too much hype. Every NBA fan is aware of his efficiency criticisms, his lack of a consistent three point shot and his salary. The fact that Pistons really thought we would trade Gay for Stuckey, Villanueva and no picks means that there isn't that much hype over him, so they're not stupid for saying he's overrated. If Gay was overrated, we would be getting a shit ton of trade offers for him. Not to mention that no one, outside of Toronto Raptors fans, ever write an article about him, so he's not getting more hype than he deserves. He's not overrated. He's overpaid! Something completely different. He might have been overrated when he got paid and signed his enormous contact, but as of right now, he's perfectly rated as his hype has gone down over the years. Only Raptors fan overrate him at times, but to the NBA he's not overrated in general!
    Pretty much this. There are quite a few great players like Rudy Gay who are overpaid but certainly not overrated.

DeMar DeRozan
    Joe Johnson
    Amar'e Stoudemire (when healthy... which is never lol)
    Carlos Boozer
    Nene
    Al Jefferson
    Javale McGee
    Kobe Bryant (although Lakers fans do overrate him)
    Jeremy Lin
    Eric Gordon

That's just to name a few.

Leave a comment:

• Blacklash2k4
    replied
    I don't think these people know the difference between overpaid and overrated. Gay is overpaid but not overrated. Overrated means anything that is given way too much hype. Every NBA fan is aware of his efficiency criticisms, his lack of a consistent three point shot and his salary. The fact that Pistons really thought we would trade Gay for Stuckey, Villanueva and no picks means that there isn't that much hype over him, so they're not stupid for saying he's overrated. If Gay was overrated, we would be getting a shit ton of trade offers for him. Not to mention that no one, outside of Toronto Raptors fans, ever write an article about him, so he's not getting more hype than he deserves. He's not overrated. He's overpaid! Something completely different. He might have been overrated when he got paid and signed his enormous contact, but as of right now, he's perfectly rated as his hype has gone down over the years. Only Raptors fan overrate him at times, but to the NBA he's not overrated in general!

Leave a comment:

• 2KJ
    replied
    Overpaid, yes, massively. But not overrated. These fools have been saying that Memphis is much better w/o him, and look what happened in the playoffs vs the spurs.

Leave a comment:

• RNsteve
    replied
    Now that he's a Raptor he's overrated

Overpaid for sure-but hopefully were in for a massive year for RG.

Leave a comment:

• DG88
    replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I don't think there's any questioning Rudy's Talent level. I think everyone would agree that Rudy could be elite, at least in a Carmelo kind of way. Its just for whatever reason (bad eyes..?) he hasn't been able to quite get there. Here's hoping this is the year, I guess. It kinda needs to be...
    Vision doesn't equal shot selection

Leave a comment:

• phez
    replied
    in before OPTION YEAR

Leave a comment:

• Usagi_yo_Jimbo
    replied
    I, for one, believe that Rudy will shine this year. Im pretty sure players are aware of articles that are written about them. And hopefully he's motivated enoung to silence his critics. He was motivated to get his eyes fixed, and i read somewhere he has a phobia or something about his eyes, thats why he refused to wear the glasses. I guess thats a start right?! Maybe his game comes after that. But, then again, im always optimistic.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Overpaid not overrated.

Leave a comment:

• Xixak
    replied
    rocwell wrote: View Post
    Overrated wtf?

He's overpaid, that's for sure, but not overrated.
    That's what I was going to say.

Actually people tend to UNDERRATE players that are overpaid as a result of them making a disproportionate amount of cash to their play on the court.

If Gay can get back to his typical career efficiency (54%TS 45-35-80) he will be underrated.

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    At least we're not paying this guy a third of the salary cap.

In all seriousness, he's probably not even overrated, mainly because I don't think he's rated that highly in NBA circles. It wasn't a well kept secret that the Grizzlies were looking to basically give him away, and even then there were a lot of teams that wouldn't bite. He's one of the least popular players with the analytics crowd too.
    Last edited by Fully; Mon Aug 5, 2013, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ambidextrious
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I hope he see this. The more motivation.
    yeah same here. as a #1 option rudy will average 22+ points a game next year book it!

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied
    stretch wrote: View Post
    Overrated or not, Gay is the best Raptor right now.
    this is as depressing as it is true

Leave a comment:

• wallz
    replied
    I feel like if he was still on Memphis, they wouldn't have ripped on him so hard

Leave a comment:

• imaginelino
    replied
    basically he needs to do a lot more because he is getting paid elite money, what drives me nuts is why BC went after him, this was a total desperation move on his behalf. this is not a Masai player. I expect him to be next to leave. He is definitely not here for the long haul.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    I don't think there's any questioning Rudy's Talent level. I think everyone would agree that Rudy could be elite, at least in a Carmelo kind of way. Its just for whatever reason (bad eyes..?) he hasn't been able to quite get there. Here's hoping this is the year, I guess. It kinda needs to be...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X