Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doug Smith Breaks Down the Raptors Sched...from his own viewpoint

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doug Smith Breaks Down the Raptors Sched...from his own viewpoint



    The Good
    A one-game road trip to New York on Dec. 27 means home for the holidays and no Christmas Day flight.



    An easy one-gamer at Washington after the all-star break, an easy trip home from New Orleans.
    No long West Coast grind right out of the chute (six of the first nine on the road is a bit of pain) and only two trips to California.

    Enough afternoon games to ease any deadline stress.


  • #2
    He just seems like he hates his job... Let him know that Im free to take over
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

    Comment


    • #3
      He does view his work as drudgery it seems with pleasures now derived from panoramic vistas and road locations for a fancy meal and frosty pints. Was that his entire writeup?....no comments on ease/difficulty of schedule based on the teams being played?

      Comment


      • #4
        The guy, for a living, travels through almost all the hotspots in the United States, eats at the nicest restaurants, watches basketball games live and all he has to do is recap it and throw out an article here and there.

        So let me get this straight, for less writing material than most people here on RR write in a day, Doug Smith gets to live like a king.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

        Comment


        • #5
          enlightenment wrote: View Post
          He just seems like he hates his job... Let him know that Im free to take over
          Between 75k to 90k a year to watch bball if you are interested. Low job stability though...

          Comment


          • #6
            Dude, you have four posts and they are all about how terrible Doug Smith is....... we get it. Did he steal your lunch money? Doug Smith is an awful basketball writer. This is not news. Raps fans have been crapping on Doug for years and years. You are not revealing some hidden truth, here.

            If you don't like Doug Smith then don't read him. It's not like he is breaking stories at the Star and you need to go there to get the updated news. The good news is that there are piles of Raptor websites (RR, RHQ, RealGM, DinoBlog, RapsBlog are just a few) and some really good Toronto basketball writers like Koreen, Chisolm, Wolstat, Grange, etc., where you can get more timely news and far better analysis.

            By the way, every time you psot about Smith, people who wouldn't ever read his blog go click on the link. You are sending traffic to a guy you clearly don't like. Why? Doug, is that you?

            Comment


            • #7
              slaw wrote: View Post
              Dude, you have four posts and they are all about how terrible Doug Smith is....... we get it. Did he steal your lunch money? Doug Smith is an awful basketball writer. This is not news. Raps fans have been crapping on Doug for years and years. You are not revealing some hidden truth, here.

              If you don't like Doug Smith then don't read him. It's not like he is breaking stories at the Star and you need to go there to get the updated news. The good news is that there are piles of Raptor websites (RR, RHQ, RealGM, DinoBlog, RapsBlog are just a few) and some really good Toronto basketball writers like Koreen, Chisolm, Wolstat, Grange, etc., where you can get more timely news and far better analysis.

              By the way, every time you psot about Smith, people who wouldn't ever read his blog go click on the link. You are sending traffic to a guy you clearly don't like. Why? Doug, is that you?
              Actually, it's me: Griff. haha

              Nah, I just find it infuriating that the country's largest newspaper has a guy who doesn't give a sht about bball covering Canada's only NBA team. We deserve better. I'd stay silent for the lack of reporting. But it's the shrug/smug attitude about bball that makes me want to rant. And I can't do it over at the Star - so RR is my outlet. Seriously, I would love nothing better for a regular RR contributor to take over the beat.

              Comment


              • #8
                Who even reads the newspaper anymore? Just let the man die off with his medium in peace.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Doug Smith should be marked as a bad work in this forum.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I used to read Doug's blog daily a few years ago (before I discovered RR), and at that time, his work was much more tolerable.

                    But over time, he started sounding like a cranky old man....which coincided with the time he allowed comments on his blog. I don't think he's recovered since.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Letter N wrote: View Post
                      Who even reads the newspaper anymore? Just let the man die off with his medium in peace.
                      Its a blog on the website.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                      Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Some people need to take a pill about Doug Smith. First of all, outside of his blog, he's a reporter, not a journalist, so if you're looking for strong opinions, that's not what puts bread on his table. The guy is doing what he's paid to do, and unless your willing to pony up a better offer, you can't expect different.

                        The fact that he's been a reporter, and not a journalist, for so long, and he's a person of a "certain vintage" as he calls it, he has a different view of what he can, or is willing to, provide in his blog. When you get to his age, perhaps you'll understand how hard it is to change old habits. In any case, the blog world is a foreign animal to him, yet he has found a large enough following, mostly in the same age bracket. He can be abrasive and dismissive toward views or requests that run against his style, but if it's not your cup of tea, simply don't go there. There's plenty of sources and outlets to choose from, without getting all tied in a knot over someone who doesn't work for you. Hell, his blog is half filled with pop culture stuff of his vintage anyway. That's the niche he has found that works for him, and puts bread on his table. Don't take it personal, and hang out elsewhere.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          All that these Doug Smith threads accomplish is driving more readers to his blog, thus showing his employer he is doing his job. Hate mail is as good as fan mail when your goals are clicks and views.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            At this rate, Smith should fill the gaping hole of hate left by the absence of Bargnani..who wants to be the one to start the "Everything Douche Smith" thread?
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

                            Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              mikekosic wrote: View Post
                              Actually, it's me: Griff. haha

                              Nah, I just find it infuriating that the country's largest newspaper has a guy who doesn't give a sht about bball covering Canada's only NBA team. We deserve better. I'd stay silent for the lack of reporting. But it's the shrug/smug attitude about bball that makes me want to rant. And I can't do it over at the Star - so RR is my outlet. Seriously, I would love nothing better for a regular RR contributor to take over the beat.
                              Come on man. If you don't like him, then DON'T READ HIS ARTICLES. Like damn man, no need to complain all the time about him. Just read articles from journalist that you do enjoy reading from.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X