Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI's Eastern Conference Rankings - Raps 10th

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...3_a2&eref=sihp

10. Toronto Raptors: New general manager Masai Ujiri's thoughts on this season, per the Toronto Star: "We might have to let this thing sit, let it ride and see what you have." Indeed, Toronto didn't do much in Ujiri's first few months on the job, save for signing Hansbrough and a few other free agents to modest deals, trading Bargnani and amnestying Linas Kleiza. Second-year center Jonas Valanciunas remains an impressive prospect, and Kyle Lowry (who is in a contract year), DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay are quality starters. But the Raptors are perilously thin and coach Dwane Casey will need to fix a defense that declined significantly in his second season. Toronto will be challenged to end a five-year playoff drought.

Rankings
    Heat
    Bulls
    Pacers
    Nets
    Knicks
    Pistons
    Cavs
    Wizards
    ---
    Hawks
    Raps
    Celtics
    Bucks
    Bobcats
    Magic
    76ers

And of course, your weekly Bargnani reference:
    5. New York Knicks: By acquiring Andrea Bargnani in a questionable trade that cost them a first-round pick and two second-round picks, the Knicks are going all in on Melo Ball. Bargnani is a floor-spacing shooter who will draw big defenders away from the basket, freeing up more room for Carmelo Anthony to operate. What he doesn't do is help a defense that deteriorated significantly after the first month of last season. New York's best chance to challenge the conference elite is if Amar'e Stoudemire can come back healthy and give the lineup offensive balance. But who wants to put their money on that darkhorse?

Fair rankings?
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Fair enough, although, I couldn't tell if the part about the GM doing relatively Little was sarcasm or not, I mean, really, he's done a shit load since being here, SI forgot that he overhauled the entire staff and scouts except for the coach. Add that to cutting lose a ton of guys and adding a ton, trading AB....jesus man, he's been crazy busy, as has TL.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
      Fair enough, although, I couldn't tell if the part about the GM doing relatively Little was sarcasm or not, I mean, really, he's done a shit load since being here, SI forgot that he overhauled the entire staff and scouts except for the coach. Add that to cutting lose a ton of guys and adding a ton, trading AB....jesus man, he's been crazy busy, as has TL.
      I think he's referring to the roster moves were nothing major. We bring back our entire starting 5 and the only rotational guy added in Hansborough. Not sure they put much emphasis on the unproven guys we are hoping to produce (Buycks for example).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

ok, I just emailed Chris Mannix...had to, had to ask if he was being sarcastic...10th is fair, but jesus, "toronto has done relatively nothing in the off season".

What THA FUCK!

Comment

ya i think so too...but I liked bugging him anyhow, I actually think the managerial moves and the admin moves (scouting etc) were every bit as important...too important to ignore really.

Comment

I think ESPN had us around the same spot, but the thing that bugs me about these rankings, is that they have the Raptors at 33-49. Which had us getting worse from last year. I just don't see that happening.

Comment

I think it's fair. 10th is reasonable. Personally I wish it was 15th...but what can ya do

Comment

Personally I wish it was 15th...but what can ya do
                Well if we're wishing for positions, why not wish for 1st? Seems odd.. Lol

Comment

100% because I want a Canadian Superstar, playing in Canada.

I hope TL does EVERYTHING in his power to get Wiggans. Lie, cheat, steal. The NBA needs Wiggans in Canada.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I think ESPN had us around the same spot, but the thing that bugs me about these rankings, is that they have the Raptors at 33-49. Which had us getting worse from last year. I just don't see that happening.
                    I remember being so angry at Hollinger last year with 33 wins predicted. We showed him! *jk*

I guess they are looking at the rest of the league and thinking the Raptors did not improve as much as others or, more likely, they think a sell-off is coming sooner than later.

Comment

100% because I want a Canadian Superstar, playing in Canada.

I hope TL does EVERYTHING in his power to get Wiggans. Lie, cheat, steal. The NBA needs Wiggans in Canada.
                      Do you feel NBA in Canada? I'm not.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I remember being so angry at Hollinger last year with 33 wins predicted. We showed him! *jk*

I guess they are looking at the rest of the league and thinking the Raptors did not improve as much as others or, more likely, they think a sell-off is coming sooner than later.
                        I think you hit the nail on the head here. Pistons, Cavs and Wizards all pushing for (and in this article 'making') the playoffs while only the Celtics and Bucks dropped below the Raps.

I think the Raps if healthy, are 7th best. If injuries mount up, I could see us easily being down just ahead of the Magic and 76ers. Most likely, something in between will happen, therefore 10th seems reasonable.

Comment

not sure I understand your post..come again?

Comment

ESPN had them at 10th as well:
                            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/95...east-standings

The pessimism is most likely due to the fact that Toronto did not get any major talent in the offseason (no high draft picks, no key free agents) and other teams did. Organic growth should signify some improvement but they usually don't use that when coming up with mock standings.

Since ESPN actually had records beside each team, I wanted to see what the 'lottery' projection would have looked like.

14. Dallas - 39-43
                            13. Portland/Detroit - 38-44
                            11. NOLA - 37-45
                            10. LA - 36-46
                            9. Toronto - 33-49
                            8. Milwaukee - 31-51
                            7. Utah - 32-50
                            6. Sacramento - 30-52
                            5. Boston - 29-53
                            4. Charlotte 26-56
                            3. Orlando 24-58
                            2. Phoenix - 22-60
                            1. Philly - 20-62

So how would tankers feel about getting 9th in the lottery?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              ESPN had them at 10th as well:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/95...east-standings

The pessimism is most likely due to the fact that Toronto did not get any major talent in the offseason (no high draft picks, no key free agents) and other teams did. Organic growth should signify some improvement but they usually don't use that when coming up with mock standings.

Since ESPN actually had records beside each team, I wanted to see what the 'lottery' projection would have looked like.

14. Dallas - 39-43
                              13. Portland/Detroit - 38-44
                              11. NOLA - 37-45
                              10. LA - 36-46
                              9. Toronto - 33-49
                              8. Milwaukee - 31-51
                              7. Utah - 32-50
                              6. Sacramento - 30-52
                              5. Boston - 29-53
                              4. Charlotte 26-56
                              3. Orlando 24-58
                              2. Phoenix - 22-60
                              1. Philly - 20-62

So how would tankers feel about getting 9th in the lottery?
                              9th is ok, but it just shows how close we are to the top 5 range anyway. All the more reason to pull the trigger imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X