X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The dirty work is never appreciated.
    This!

Rasheed Wallace leads the NBA in Techs and his toughness and dirty work was crucial to the Detroit Pistons success.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      Amir may be a utility big on any other team, but he's earned the starting role on this team.

Funny how everyone's talking about his flaws, and yet he was no question our best player last year. Pretty telling if you ask me.
      Indeed it is telling. When your best player is a utility big, it's no wonder the team didn't make the playoffs. Amir is a difference maker, but he's not a "horse" the team can ride anywhere significant. This isn't a knock on him, it's a knock on the other talent and the guy who assembled it. Amir would be much more appreciated if we had a horse or two and racked up some wins, because then it would be evident how much he helps hold things together....but there's isn't much to hold together the last couple of seasons, with the supremely flawed rosters BC threw out there.

Comment

Amir is a Boss. Before anyone says anything negative about him or his limitations they should bang their head against a wall - of Amir's choosing.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

caccia wrote: View Post
          I would expect Johnson to start at the beginning of the season. He averaged just under 29 minutes per game last season, and less than that the two years prior. Valanciunas averaged nearly 24 minutes per game last season. That leaves 43 minutes per game for backup players, perhaps 40 if Valanciunas improves his stamina. In any case, that is a lot of minutes for Hansbrough to take advantage of.

The question is whether the Raptors will win more if Amir Johnson or Tyler Hansbrough starts? I expect we will find out by January. I have a feeling that Johnson will be more effective in the backup role than Hansbrough, in part due to temperament and in part due to his ability to back up both the 4 and the 5 spots.
          If Valanciunas is only playing 27 mins per game this year, something has gone seriously wrong.....

As for the topic at hand, there is no serious argument for Hansbrough to start. Amir was team's best player last year and is a terrific compliment to the rest of the starting 5. Unless he's injured, he'd better be starting. Of course, Casey is the coach, so, I guess all bets are off.

Comment

Bigs are going to collect fouls, it goes with the territory. This is especially true for bigs playing behind poor defensive guards that allow for increased traffic at the rim. Amir had a lot last year, but his fouls, from what I saw, were more about him covering too much ground rather than being out of position. In his early years, he would be in the wrong position and overcompensate and thus foul. Last year he had much better defensive positioning, but the team defence wasn't very good, so he had to cover too much ground and would often be 'late' because of it. Not worried about it for this season.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              Bigs are going to collect fouls, it goes with the territory. This is especially true for bigs playing behind poor defensive guards that allow for increased traffic at the rim. Amir had a lot last year, but his fouls, from what I saw, were more about him covering too much ground rather than being out of position. In his early years, he would be in the wrong position and overcompensate and thus foul. Last year he had much better defensive positioning, but the team defence wasn't very good, so he had to cover too much ground and would often be 'late' because of it. Not worried about it for this season.
              I agree with this. Plus I think it's important to remember that the timing of fouls usually has a much bigger impact on a player's ability to stay on the floor than the sheer number of them. For instance, a player who collects 5 fouls spread out evenly throughout a game is going to be hindered much less than a player who only gets 3 or 4 but has them bunched together at the start of a half. I feel like Amir has been a much smarter player (or maybe he's just getting lucky) in this regard during recent seasons. It felt like he was literally always in foul trouble those first few years.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                If Valanciunas is only playing 27 mins per game this year, something has gone seriously wrong.....

As for the topic at hand, there is no serious argument for Hansbrough to start. Amir was team's best player last year and is a terrific compliment to the rest of the starting 5. Unless he's injured, he'd better be starting. Of course, Casey is the coach, so, I guess all bets are off.
                27 mins is more what Tyler and Amir will average. Bigs don't play heavy minutes. I would be surprised if JV plays more that 32 minutes a game.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                X