Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Hoopsworld] Gay, Lowry contract years

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-sit...worth-watching

Kyle Lowry, arguably the Raptors’ most important cog, is in the final year of his contract and at times has butted headed with head coach Dwane Casey. Lowry has been training relentlessly this summer and has said repeatedly that his squad is in the playoff next year. Fortunately for him, there isn’t much on the Raptors roster to challenge his spot at starter. If Lowry and Casey can get on the same page things could go pretty well for both. If both has a contentious season, as they did much of last year, then one or both could be gone by mid-season.
    This puts the Raptors in a tough spot. They could let Gay play out the season and see where things go, or they could opt to try and trade him to avoid losing him to free agency for little to nothing in return. New president Masai Ujiri has been down this road before with Carmelo Anthony in Denver and knows full well how distracting it can be to have a guy in Gay’s situation and what kind of circus it can create.
    Will Rudy demand a big enough contract to opt out? I don't think so. But will he take less to go to a contender? That is the question.

I think Masai offers him a decent extension. If Gay doesn't show interest then he gets shipped out for assets. I don't think Ujiri has any pressure to retain Gay.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      I think Masai offers him a decent extension. If Gay doesn't show interest then he gets shipped out for assets. I don't think Ujiri has any pressure to retain Gay.
      My guess is that "decent" from Rudy's perspective and "decent" from our perspective involve significantly different numbers.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

well its the matter of letting go of 20 million worth of trade assets

Comment

phez wrote: View Post

Phez, I'm confused, are you saying that we run the risk of losing Gay for nothing, or are you saying I'll be difficult to trade someone who makes 20 million? If it's the latter I agree that could be difficult, but if it's the former, mediumcore is clearly saying that ujiri should/will trade him, if he doesn't sign an extensions, which means he won't have an opportunity to leave in free agency, and we'll be getting assets back (how valuable they are is a different question).
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
            The team trading for Rudy doesn't have to send out $20M in assets.

If the trading partner is:

luxury tax ---> ~$14.25M (125% + $100K)
            non-luxury tax ----> ~$12.9M ($5M difference)

Comment

You've go to trade Rudy and Kyle for whatever you can get.

2014 is not a big free agent year unless LeBron, Wade, Carmelo, Chris Bosh all terminate their contracts. Kobe, Kyle Lowry, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol and Luol Deng are all free agents but the only ones not considered 'old' are Lowry and Deng.... and Kobe is not going anywhere.

Here is the full free agent list: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

The problem Toronto is going to have, and I did not totally consider before to be honest, is that many of teams who could conceivably want him also have a lot of cap space this summer. Teams with over $15M in cap space this summer include Charlotte, Detroit, Cleveland, Dallas, LA Lakers, Milwaukee, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, Utah, and Washington. I even left a few teams out that could have space but likely won't. There is a lot of cap space floating around this summer without a lot of players worth throwing it at.

I know I've said this a lot but the Raptors are stuck in the horrible position of being a bubble playoff team with no financial flexibility (assuming Lowry/Gay extensions) or other means to get better (can't trade the assets that are keeping you in the playoff hunt and not likely getting a good enough draft pick to add a difference maker - possible but not likely).

This is a depressing way to start the day.....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                You've go to trade Rudy and Kyle for whatever you can get.

2014 is not a big free agent year unless LeBron, Wade, Carmelo, Chris Bosh all terminate their contracts. Kobe, Kyle Lowry, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Pau Gasol and Luol Deng are all free agents but the only ones not considered 'old' are Lowry and Deng.... and Kobe is not going anywhere.

Here is the full free agent list: http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents

The problem Toronto is going to have, and I did not totally consider before to be honest, is that many of teams who could conceivably want him also have a lot of cap space this summer. Teams with over $15M in cap space this summer include Charlotte, Detroit, Cleveland, Dallas, LA Lakers, Milwaukee, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Antonio, Utah, and Washington. I even left a few teams out that could have space but likely won't. There is a lot of cap space floating around this summer without a lot of players worth throwing it at.

I know I've said this a lot but the Raptors are stuck in the horrible position of being a bubble playoff team with no financial flexibility (assuming Lowry/Gay extensions) or other means to get better (can't trade the assets that are keeping you in the playoff hunt and not likely getting a good enough draft pick to add a difference maker - possible but not likely).

This is a depressing way to start the day.....
                Don't worry Matt, we traded Bargnani and have a GM with a vision (even if we don't know what that is yet). But we must always remember...

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I've heard Uriji's office is good at keeping things under wraps, but do you think he'll be able to offer Gay a reasonable contract extension early on without word getting out if Gay decides to decline the offer?

'Cause I think that's what would be most distracting to the team -- if they feel that their 'star' player is already looking beyond the team early in the season.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
                    I've heard Uriji's office is good at keeping things under wraps, but do you think he'll be able to offer Gay a reasonable contract extension early on without word getting out if Gay decides to decline the offer?

'Cause I think that's what would be most distracting to the team -- if they feel that their 'star' player is already looking beyond the team early in the season.
                    Yeah that is hard to gauge because Ujiri's office is one thing and then you have Gay, his agent and social media to think about. However Ujiri has some experience dealing with the distraction of the teams best player being in the news with trade demands/rumours surrounding them. Also and sadly, at this time a distraction in our locker would be like there being one in the Charlotte locker room....to the ultimate goal of being competitive does it really matter? We are a season or two from being relevant.

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post

Yeah that is hard to gauge because Ujiri's office is one thing and then you have Gay, his agent and social media to think about. However Ujiri has some experience dealing with the distraction of the teams best player being in the news with trade demands/rumours surrounding them. Also and sadly, at this time a distraction in our locker would be like there being one in the Charlotte locker room....to the ultimate goal of being competitive does it really matter? We are a season or two from being relevant.
                      The thing to remember is with the new CBA it is in players best interests to opt out or become unrestricted.

If Gay were to extend then:

A contract with an option can be extended if the player opts-in. A contract with an option can also be extended if the player opts-out, as long as the extension adds at least two new seasons onto the contract (excluding any new option year) and the salary in the first year of the extension is not less than the salary in the non-exercised option year.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59
                      So any extension he signs is going to be for a minimum of 2 guaranteed years and will have to start at the $19.3M he is owed on his player option. So if Gay remains with Toronto beyond this upcoming season he is going to be paid $19.3M in 2014-15 no matter what. I'm not sure how I feel about that when the team is a bubble playoff team.

Comment

Well guys, then there's winning. If these guys pull a fast one and are winning at a 650-.750 clip, both those guys will stay. The GM has no real stress right now, and the media will say otherwise however to be honest, too much time, and too many games lay in between now, and the moment decisions need to be made.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                          Well guys, then there's winning. If these guys pull a fast one and are winning at a 650-.750 clip, both those guys will stay. The GM has no real stress right now, and the media will say otherwise however to be honest, too much time, and too many games lay in between now, and the moment decisions need to be made.
                          Good points.

I will do a virtual stroll around here naked if they are .65-.700 winning clip after 40 games.

Comment

Lowry has been training relentlessly this summer

This is the only part of the article that I really cared about
                            Last edited by Mundy; Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:24 PM.
                            "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

Mundy wrote: View Post
                              Lowry has been training relentlessly this summer

This is the only part of the article that I really cared about
                              FEAR the contract year.

Comment

Working...
                              X