X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    You have to anticipate opposing coaches totally abusing that PF matchup to start the game. With Novak trying to defend the likes of Dirk, Griffin, West, Millsap, etc, we'd be down double-digits before the first TV timeout.
    The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied

Speaking of novak's defense come on guys look at this help contest

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Burnit482 wrote: View Post
    Now think about this. Why can he not be the same role player who just starts the game? He will probably only get 12-15 minutes at most why can he not get some of those at the start it makes a lot of sense. Offensively speaking he will get the most open shots with that lineup on floor. With demar and gay we need floor spacers. It makes most sense for that lineup and also for Novak himself.

Think about it dont just shut the idea down if you have some point you want to make then make them dont just say nothing and he sucks.
    As a starter playing 12-15 mpg, he'll mostly be playing against other starters. This is less likely to be true as a bench player.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Burnit482 wrote: View Post
    Now think about this. Why can he not be the same role player who just starts the game? He will probably only get 12-15 minutes at most why can he not get some of those at the start it makes a lot of sense. Offensively speaking he will get the most open shots with that lineup on floor. With demar and gay we need floor spacers. It makes most sense for that lineup and also for Novak himself.

Think about it dont just shut the idea down if you have some point you want to make then make them dont just say nothing and he sucks.
    Several comments here have addressed it. Try reading them. To repeat: Steve Novak cannot defend starting PF's, so why in the world would you want to match him up against Dirk, Duncan, Griffin, Z-Bo, Love, Aldridge, Bosh, etc. for his "12-15 minutes" when Novak could spend those minutes playing against bench players?

His 12-15 minutes will be situational, because his defense is terrible. They'll put him out there when his 3's will help more than his D will hurt, and when his teammates can help compensate for his poor D.

Leave a comment:

• Mundy
    replied
    I'm into whatever works, but seeing as our starting lineup was one of the better lineups in the league last year I don't see it. If he's going to be in short spurts we may as well start out with a traditional lineup then bring him in if nobody is hitting/the opposition is immediately collapsing on our bigs

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    This guy might actually be a worse defender than Bargnani....and you want him to play against the other teams starters?

The only way Novak survives his time on the court is by guarding the worst player on the other team and jacking treys. His is the ultimate liability, like Josea Bargeron.

Leave a comment:

• Burnit482
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Rest assured barring injury Novak will be coming off the bench all season to space the floor and bang in some treys! nothing more nothing less.

ROLE PLAYER

Leave a comment:

• Katman
    replied
    charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    I know it may seem like a strange idea at first, but let's just think about it.

-Novak can play both forward spots.
    -None of the current starters can really shoot the 3.
    -Novak can shoot the 3.
    -We currently don't really have a backup center.
    -Amir was really good last season as a center.
    -Amir could be our backup center.
    -Give more playing time to the wings.
    -Etc.

Let's look at what could be the rotation:
    Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.

What do you guys think of this idea?
    Only if we are planning on going FULL tank mode!

Leave a comment:

• Eric Akshinthala
    replied
    If this happens, it will happen later in the season. With Amir and Jonas on the roster, the opening day starting lineup will consist of them as 4 and 5.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Stop the insanity. Shut this thread down.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    I know it may seem like a strange idea at first, but let's just think about it.

-Novak can play both forward spots.
    -None of the current starters can really shoot the 3.
    -Novak can shoot the 3.
    -We currently don't really have a backup center.
    -Amir was really good last season as a center.
    -Amir could be our backup center.
    -Give more playing time to the wings.
    -Etc.

Let's look at what could be the rotation:
    Valanciunas/Johnson/Gray
    Novak/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Daye
    DeRozan/Ross/Stone
    Lowry/Augustin/Buycks

Novak would be a stretch 4, with Jonas being the man in the middle. Difference between this situation and Bargnani's one is that Novak won't ask for a lot of minutes and he's a winner. Plus we won't have the same expectations for him that we had for Bargnani.

I think it would simply really improve our rotations. Amir can still play more minutes than him, I just think it would fit better with this rotation.

What do you guys think of this idea?
    Good thought not absurd but Novak not great defensively and Amir's minutes would decrease at a time when he is improving to become one of our most consistent two way players.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    Only way I could see Novak starting is if it was for specific match up's, and maybe only if he was starting at SF and Rudy PF...again very specific match up against small ball teams that just try to out score you by getting up and down the court quickly as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    You have to anticipate opposing coaches totally abusing that PF matchup to start the game. With Novak trying to defend the likes of Dirk, Griffin, West, Millsap, etc, we'd be down double-digits before the first TV timeout.

Leave a comment:

• ezz_bee
    replied
    I don't think Novak could, should, or would start (barring injuries or trades, and then only for a few games as possible).

He is a floor spacer and will help space the floor for limited stretches.

Leave a comment:

• OldSchool
    replied
    charlesnba23 >> wait till you see his defense lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X