Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

most overrated/underrated raptor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    minks77 wrote: View Post
    Or simply human. It's ridiculous to think anyone gives 100% effort every time in anything they do, especially if it's something you do over and over again for a long time (like a job). Incentives, both positive and negative, are excellent at refocusing effort to detail and effort committed to any task.
    If that refocusing happens like clockwork in contract years, the player is a douche. Sorry bud, there is no grey area here. Your job is to give 100%. You get paid multimillion little bits of motivation to "refocus" and "commit" to your own excellence. When that fails you have thousands of fans, a coach, trainers and your own teammates to motivate you both out of respect and an understanding that you owe that much. To only perform when it might benefit you financially, or worse, so you can abandon the current group of people supporting you is weak character.

    This concept is so easy for me to understand, I'm not sure why it would bother other people that I say it. Your post assumes I don't understand the basic concept of motivation, yet, you don't seem to consider what key motivators should be, and that they are already in place.

    You only perform in contract years, you are a douche.

    Comment


    • #32
      Craig wrote: View Post
      If that refocusing happens like clockwork in contract years, the player is a douche. Sorry bud, there is no grey area here. Your job is to give 100%. You get paid multimillion little bits of motivation to "refocus" and "commit" to your own excellence. When that fails you have thousands of fans, a coach, trainers and your own teammates to motivate you both out of respect and an understanding that you owe that much. To only perform when it might benefit you financially, or worse, so you can abandon the current group of people supporting you is weak character.

      This concept is so easy for me to understand, I'm not sure why it would bother other people that I say it. Your post assumes I don't understand the basic concept of motivation, yet, you don't seem to consider what key motivators should be, and that they are already in place.

      You only perform in contract years, you are a douche.
      +1

      Getting to play basketball as a sustainable living (let alone making millions) should be incentive enough to work your butt off.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

      Comment


      • #33
        Exactly. So it is pretty frustrating to see a guy like Lowry, who, last year said all this crap about being ready, working hard yadda yadda, and coming into camp clearly fat, but now coming in to camp in serious shape. So he can what? Get more money? BS, I call RESUME!!!!

        I will concede that yes, the odd player has an epiphany and improves himself and that is what he will do from this moment on for the rest of his career, however, I am also a realist and know this isn't the case with most.

        Toronto isn't contending for shit this year, so all of this hard work Rudy and Kyle put in is just for what??? It won't help Toronto, it will kill them. Watch how it works out.

        edit** I will however consider that by upping their potential on the trade market, Toronto could maybe get something, but, not likely as why would any sane GM trade for a guy he can sign flat out in the Summer.

        Comment


        • #34
          over- Gay
          under- Amir

          Comment


          • #35
            under - Tyler Hansbrough!
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

            Comment


            • #36
              Craiger wrote: View Post
              Overrated - Jonas. He's going to be an excellent basketball player but I don't think the "franchise calibre" player people at times talk about.
              I don't see him as a Shaq or Hakeem or Duncan. The guy I have always thought he best compared to in terms of his potential impact is Marc Gasol. Different players in many respects but I do think Val can be as good as Gasol at some point, which is pretty damn good.

              Not to go through a huge laundry list of examples, but at least in Toronto history, the star players (Bosh and Carter) made massive improvements in year two. I think we need to wait on Val 2.0, year two, before becoming to pessimistic or optimistic.

              Comment


              • #37
                thead wrote: View Post
                under - Tyler Hansbrough!

                Comment


                • #38
                  Craig wrote: View Post
                  If that refocusing happens like clockwork in contract years, the player is a douche. Sorry bud, there is no grey area here. Your job is to give 100%. You get paid multimillion little bits of motivation to "refocus" and "commit" to your own excellence. When that fails you have thousands of fans, a coach, trainers and your own teammates to motivate you both out of respect and an understanding that you owe that much. To only perform when it might benefit you financially, or worse, so you can abandon the current group of people supporting you is weak character.

                  This concept is so easy for me to understand, I'm not sure why it would bother other people that I say it. Your post assumes I don't understand the basic concept of motivation, yet, you don't seem to consider what key motivators should be, and that they are already in place.

                  You only perform in contract years, you are a douche.
                  My post simply states that it's normal to lose focus as you grind through the same old same old. Happens to barristas, middle management, doctors, CEOs and professional athletes. The amount of cheddar may seem relevant to you but as you slag through a boring job on a crappy Wednesday in a non pay day week with a nagging headache and stress from the bills can you really say you are 100% focused? Of course not. That focus will ebb and flow. Look at actors who get $20 mill/movie. Are those their best movies? Usually not. But the movies that got them to that level are often pretty tight. It was the incentive of the big pay day, that hunger, that motivated them. Not the money already in the bank. Ball players are pretty similar. They ball out and sacrifice a ton to get to this level and when they do it's just grind, grind, grind. The dough they are earning is great but that all becomes relative. A contract year is a great incentive and it's near 100% impossible to maintain that level of commitment at all time which is why we think of guys like Kobe and MJ as borderline crazy.

                  All that being said Lowry was hurt for a lot of last year and was having a very tough time earning Caseys trust and his dip was certainly not all his fault. I don't think if he puts up numbers this year that it's a contract year aberration and it certainly doesn't fit your "consistently better numbers" statement. After the Rox signed him after the 09-10 season his numbers all went up across the board.

                  Yeah there are players who only show up in contract years and that could be construed as douchey but I don't think you could reasonably argue that any of the current squad fit that description.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Overrated: Lowry

                    Underrated: Fields and Hansbrough
                    Last edited by The Great One; Thu Oct 3rd, 2013, 01:47 AM.
                    Mamba Mentality

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      The most overrated player right now is Terrence Ross. Everyone is blinded by his incredible athleticism. Right now, he needs to put on weight, work on his ball handling and ability to create shots. He can be a great player, and potentially replace a massive contract like demar's or rudy's, but he has some work to do.

                      The most underrated player is Steve Novak. This guy needs to be playing for more then half the game. The ONLY player that can open up space for two great slashers in gay and derozan. The guy is automatic, and having a player like him will be huge for the Raptors. If he can hold his own on defence(i know its a stretch) he will allow the offence to flow the only way it can, as long as Lowry passes the basketball.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Overrated: Demar Derozan, Underrated: Quincy Acy and People think Rudy is soo Overrated that he"s actually Underrated
                        #BringBackUzoh

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Cbradley wrote: View Post
                          The most overrated player right now is Terrence Ross. Everyone is blinded by his incredible athleticism. Right now, he needs to put on weight, work on his ball handling and ability to create shots. He can be a great player, and potentially replace a massive contract like demar's or rudy's, but he has some work to do.

                          The most underrated player is Steve Novak. This guy needs to be playing for more then half the game. The ONLY player that can open up space for two great slashers in gay and derozan. The guy is automatic, and having a player like him will be huge for the Raptors. If he can hold his own on defence(i know its a stretch) he will allow the offence to flow the only way it can, as long as Lowry passes the basketball.
                          Novak is never going to hold his own on D, in my opinion.

                          He will be like Calderon in Casey's first year - a defense structured to protect/hide him.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Underrated: Amir: http://basketballintelligence.wordpr...ar-excellence/

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X