For the people that think DeRozan is overpaid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    I thought he meant "an efficient 20+ ppg" in the sense of 20+ppg with a decent Fg %.
    So basically, he means that DeRozan will become a top 20 player in the NBA. Out of nowhere.

If that happens, I'll gladly admit that although it was terrible business decision to sign him, he was worth the money.
    Last edited by ebrian; Thu Oct 24, 2013, 10:15 AM.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Back to the Hayward comparison and rumours:

"I have a man crush on that guy," Rivers said. "He’s really good."

But Rivers also foresees a tough year ahead for the promising Hayward. As he spoke to reporters before the game, Rivers reflected back on his time as the head coach of the Orlando Magic, when Grant Hill was out with an injury and Tracy McGrady became the team’s only real scoring threat.

"I just always felt bad for [McGrady]," he said. "When you’re the guy and you’re the only guy for a while — there’s other guys, but I’m talking superstar — that’s a hard job and Gordon will find that out this year."

Hayward was able to share the workload Wednesday night, as four of the Jazz’s starting five hit double-figures, led by power forward Derrick Favor’s 24 points and 16 rebounds. But the Jazz still left Staples Center with a win, falling to the Clippers 103-99. It was Utah’s sixth straight preseason loss.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/57...coach.html.csp
      Hayward about to experience DD's plight in year 2 and 3?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Bold 1: Contracts are handed out on an 82 game season. Injuries happen, rest happens. His durability means very little. Westbrook had not missed a game until last year and now the start of this year. Does that mean money was added to his contract negotiations because he was expected to play every single game of his extension? No. Guys with no injury history are not negotiating based on "I play 82 games a year so pay me more." Injuries can be too random and freak for it to even enter negotiation considerations.

Bold 2: Where did you read that? I said between $6-7 million, and if I was not clear enough I meant per year.

Bold 3: It is not semantics. Every dollar counts for the salary cap, luxury tax, and threshold calculations. Also he was a restricted free agent. Anyone who offered a reasonable contract knows it would be matched. Then you could have DD having to chose between a market contract of say $28M over 4 years or take a guaranteed $6M and play out his qualifying offer to become an UFA the next year and leave $22M on the table. What would you do if offered a guaranteed $28M or $6? You don't let assets walk when the contract/money is reasonable. The problem continues to be the Raptors/BC never let the offer come in. Based on last season (not his last 8 games, not this pre season) do you think he is worth $9.5M? If you don't feel DeRozan is overpaid - ok; there are many among us who do.

Bold 4: while my math was not exact the difference between a $6.5M and $9.5M contract is almost 50%.

Bold 5: DeRozan is going to continuously improve year after year? How do you know? When you're paying for potential you might get Amir and you might get Stuckey.
        I agree with most of what you said with the exception of the first paragraph. Sure, contract negotiations are based on an 82 game season, but the argument that was being made is that few players can honour that agreement. To say it holds no value is to say that somebody that signs a 9.5m contract and sits out half the year has the same worth as Derozan at 82 games. It's not a negotiation point, but it's definitely a plus when all is said and done. I suppose it might be revisionist history but, as you said, every dollar counts towards the cap, and in the same breath every skill/asset that a player offers counts towards his worth.
        "This just in........ THE RAPTORS ARE AMAZING!"

Comment

As the deadline for Class of 2010 contract extensions looms at midnight on Friday, the Utah Jazz and forward Gordon Hayward remain far apart in discussions, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Talks are expected to pick up this week, but there's nothing resembling even the baseline for an agreement in place, sources told Yahoo.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--ja...202627935.html
          Sounds like the big money story was put out by Hayward's agent.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            I think it's entirely likely that Demar's contract negotiations went like this:

BC - Demar, we are thinking around $6M...
            DD - Bryan, you gave $6.2M to Landry Fields.....so....
            BC - $9.5M it is!
            I'm sure this is exactly how it happened....

Comment

I think that by the end of the year, most people will be looking at DD's contract as a bargain. I think he's going to have a break out year and will end up surprising a lot of people. I don't think his 3 is as good as advertised yet, but I do think it will be better than it has been. This year is pretty much a toss up as far as the direction we go but I do hope MU sees DeMar as a part of the teams future. After all of the time spent developing I think it'd be a waste to get rid of him, regardless of what you think of his contract.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

Working...
              X