Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur: Ujiri Under the Gun to Win

http://o.canada.com/sports/new-rapto...he-gun-to-win/

Some people won't like this quote (despite it being the biggest truism in the NBA):

We do know Ujiri will not build the way the Miami Heat have — “I wish I could,” he says with a smile — and he has expressed a distaste for extended tanking. But to win titles you almost always need superstars. What are the odds you can win a title without superstars?

“The chances are, for me, they’re slim,” Ujiri says. “I totally agree that, yes, you have to have one or a couple of those guys, but how do you create it where — I can’t come into Toronto or come into Denver and give the excuse that, ‘Hey, I can’t get any of those guys.
    He goes on to talk about winning environment and so on. Nothing terribly new here but I wanted to get this quote out there. Thinking about this, and the idea that NBA team typically plan free agency three years ahead, I think I will now do some research as to who the big free agents are in 2015.....

Good read. It's not often Arthur covers the Raps, but it's usually an interesting piece when he does.

Comment

2015:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2015-nba-free-agents

2016:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2016-nba-free-agents

Comment

Well heres the thing Raps have to show they are on the rise and make the playoffs this season, showing they have a new focus a push for greater things to interest stars to come here.

A lot is riding on this season.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          Well heres the thing Raps have to show they are on the rise and make the playoffs this season, showing they have a new focus a push for greater things to interest stars to come here.

A lot is riding on this season.
          This is probably what Ujiri is striving for. If they succeed and make playoffs, he can build onto it and make the team attractive to free agents. If they get off to a bad start, he can tear it apart and start fresh with young guys and draft picks

Comment

I like this quote:
            TORONTO — The question is hanging there, and Masai Ujiri is waiting. He has just been asked why he won’t reveal his basketball philosophy, and in his silence the sound of jackhammers and earthmoving rumbles through the window panes of his corner office. He is on the top floor, downtown, and outside you can see North America’s fifth-biggest city — fourth if you discount Mexico City — continuing to take shape.

When he finally answers, he says, “I always feel like … that’s for within.” Will it become obvious? “Yes.” Why not just say it? “For me to come out and say this is how I want to do this, no, I have to evaluate what we have here first,” Ujiri says. To keep your options open? “To keep my options open. I think it gives everyone a fair shot, which is what everyone deserves.” He speaks with great calm.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
              This is probably what Ujiri is striving for. If they succeed and make playoffs, he can build onto it and make the team attractive to free agents. If they get off to a bad start, he can tear it apart and start fresh with young guys and draft picks
              The parts that make the team 'succeed' and make the playoffs will either be resigned or not resigned.

If they are resigned, forget free agency.

If they are not resigned, do free agents still find Toronto attractive?

Specifically I'm talking about Lowry and Gay.

Comment

Another goodie:

Denver had pieces, but wasn’t really going anywhere. So Ujiri made trades, drafted well, made more trades (he made three three-team trades, and a four-team one). Denver was a tough place to play — good crowd, thin air. They won 57 games last year without a superstar of any kind. Ujiri was named executive of the year.

He has been less active in Toronto, so far. Sources say he has talked about moving Rudy Gay, but he has been patient. He dealt Andrea Bargnani, built a bench that may double as a self-destruct button, and prepared.

“I can control preparing,” Ujiri says. “What are the things that you can get better at, and that you can control? I can try to get our fans rattled up to create an atmosphere here. We can try to develop our players more, to give them good options, get better in the summer, we can control that in some kind of way. We can absolutely control who we draft.

“And you can’t let anything slip in that circumstance. Culture. We can’t have unnecessary issues that taint the culture of our team, or perception of our team. We have to slowly chip away.”

Comment

slaw this was a great article. Thanks for posting:

And then, after all that, you have to hope like hell something works out.

“Honestly, there is some luck to it,” says Ujiri. “That’s the honest truth. Nobody wants to say it, but for me we are always going to sit here and say this is what the genius is, and who did this and did that. Honestly, I’m not that way. You study it, really study it, and you set out what your plan is, and you go by that plan. You establish a culture, and you get the right people.”

Comment

unrelated but I want Hansborough to be a Raptor role player for years to come.

Comment

I have always thought that he came across as a very honest fellow....low on the bullshit. This is frustrating for many because this invariably results in him either not expanding on his plans or being vague about the process. At least we dont get the lie or unfulfilled previously divulged thoughts. I remember reading an article on him when he was in Denver and how his players respected him....he was open and truthful with them (I think it was around the Wilson Chandler signing).

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        I have always thought that he came across as a very honest fellow....low on the bullshit. This is frustrating for many because this invariably results in him either not expanding on his plans or being vague about the process. At least we dont get the lie or unfulfilled previously divulged thoughts. I remember reading an article on him when he was in Denver and how his players respected him....he was open and truthful with them (I think it was around the Wilson Chandler signing).
                        Stone was talking about his relationship in Denver as well with Masai. Saying that, Masai always told Stone that he would be playing bad/poorly more times than he would acknowledge him doing well.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          slaw this was a great article. Thanks for posting:
                          The board has gotten a little hot lately and usually the article-type threads are fairly tame and generate some good discussion so I'm throwing up anything I find interesting.

Comment

Jalen Rose came to Toronto because he wanted to play with Vince Carter.
                            If the Raptors have a winning scenario where people want to play for a winning team, the players will come.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                              Jalen Rose came to Toronto because he wanted to play with Vince Carter.
                              If the Raptors have a winning scenario where people want to play for a winning team, the players will come.
                              I agree with the premise that getting a young and exciting player can rapidly change a team's reputation around the league but Jalen Rose did not choose Toronto.. he was traded here.

Comment

Working...
                              X