Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #2: Atlanta Hawks 102 - Toronto Raptors 95 (F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lilmamba would be a better coach for Raps...
    No new friends (c)

Comment

• .....and in comes the delicate balance between coaching, roster, development and team direction.

Lets not forget this team is bubble playoff team, at this point in time aiming for the playoffs, playing against another bubble playoff team that will be in direction competition with the Raps.

It may be early, but if the Raps do want to make the playoffs they need to win games like this more than any (ie. +1 wins for them, -1 wins for their playoff bubble competition).

Val was getting owned out there. He's a young player, playing against a good and unique front line. Those things will happen. It absolutely made sense to sit him, at this point in time, against that competition, given the above circumstances.

The bigger issue isn't sitting Val, its the amalgamation of circumstance and direction.

I completely agree Val should have seen more minutes, and been allowed to play through more mistakes. But if the Raps want to win that game, it unfortunately likely required him to be on the bench.

Comment

• You guys need to listen to me more often, if you did, games like this wouldn't bother you, rather, you'd be ready for them, and, you'd be happy!

WIGGANS!

Comment

• So Lowry cant run a PnR ?

Comment

• lowry cant run a lemonade stand Bud... lets be serious here.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
              lowry cant run a lemonade stand Bud... lets be serious here.
              Not as bad as not being able to run water so maybe theres some hope!

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                And what was his solution?
                I like this a lot.
                This is right on point.

A little quote like Casey's gives you an excellent window into our dear coach's mindset.

Defensive.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  So Lowry cant run a PnR ?
                  Lowry is one of the worst PnR PG's in the league. He never kicks it to the big after the pick and will always just put his head down and drive and then kick it out once he realizes he's covered in the paint.

Comment

• REAL TALKS ...... its one game, we learn from our mistakes and hopefully so will coach (im still mad at him tho)
                    but yall need to straighten up and relax your selves
                    its not the end and were gonna go into Milwaukee like we fuckin own the place
                    leggo raps
                    #poundtherock <---- holdup, is that still our motto?
                    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• Watching the game now.. you can imagine my face when Daye was the first off the bench...

Also, what the hell kinda defense is this?

Looks like he's setting a screen. Honestly.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        Watching the game now.. you can imagine my face when Daye was the first off the bench...

Also, what the hell kinda defense is this?

Looks like he's setting a screen. Honestly.
                        There's no defensive strategy here. Just a poor rotation.

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
                          I'm a very paranoid guy so this could be complete bullshit. But didn't it seem that rudy's game went to the crapper after he fell over the barier into the stands?
                          Immediately missed two free throws and aired a 20 footer the very next possession. It's possible! lol
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• On people defending the pulling of Jonas.

1)Did removing him improve the Raptors D or their chances to win? I'd have to say no to both. While Horford scored some moves on him, as a team they played the p'n'r, and really all motion, totally terribly. It's not always, in fact it really isn't, Jonas' fault when he hedges to stop the PG and no one rotates to cover his man, not even to at least bump him on his roll. They were slow to rotate all night in just about every circumstance. So little of the defensive shittiness was actually on Jonas' shoulders, who apart from struggling with Horford on the p'n'r, played him as well as could be hoped 1-on-1, and also did a good job being a help defender for others. Horford wasn't slowed down by anyone else, and we totally lost all rim protection when he was sitting.

2) What was the most important thing, stated by both Casey and MU, going into the season? GROWTH. I don't know how sitting Jonas that much is good for his growth. He says some crap about Jonas being too slow, but that's totally complete BS. I mean, if Jonas is too slow for Horford, isn't Daye too skinny for Antic, Millsap, Brand and Horford? Atlanta didn't even go truly small for most of the game, but just because they put a 4 who can shoot out there, Casey decided he should go small. He thought it would help the team run shooters off the line maybe? So that they could go straight into the heart of the D with no interior presence?

Anyway, this team is not going to grow with Casey coaching them. He also threw all the backup PGs out there last night. Neither of which seemed like they were really what the team needed. We didn't need Buycks' speed or scoring game really. And while it would be nice to see if Stone could shut down Teague...Teague wasn't shooting that well, but he was getting others involved because of spotty team D. Shutting him down wasn't really the priority. Atlanta played well by building an inside-outside game around Horford, and Casey's moves failed to neutralize either aspect, and didn't exactly provide with great growth situations or workload.

*To add to taht, as mentioned in the RR quick reaction, it's also odd that in a game where Rudy may as well be literally crapping on the court (would probably throw the other team off more), Ross didn't get that many minutes.

**And back on JV. Everyone seems very focused on the Horford matchup. But I stress again: Atlanta barely played small. Toronto going with one big for long stretches made little, if any sense.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Nov 2, 2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Even basic PnR's are putting our defense all out of wack.

Here we see the start of a Teague-Horford PnR. Everyone's in position, with DeMar on Korver in the corner.

Teague drives and Lowry/Hansbrough double, causing him to swing to Antic. Hansbrough rotating to back to Horford and Amir stretching out to cover Korver is what should've happened here. Korver doesn't have the ability to beat guys off the dribble, so they can live with that switch. Instead, DeMar is left high and dry guarding both Antic and Korver.

What is the result? An OPEN corner J from arguably the best 3-pt shooter in the league.See how Hansbrough is the one closing out on Korver, even though he was all the way at the left block just a second earlier? Amir doesn't need to stay that attached to Horford; if he rotates correctly, Tyler will be there to matchup Big Al.

The defensive schemes really need to improve. Casey is supposedly a defensive-minded coach.. if this team can't even properly rotate on a PnR (from a team we're supposed to be competing with for a playoff spot), I'm not sure what direction we're heading.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                                Even basic PnR's are putting our defense all out of wack.

Here we see the start of a Teague-Horford PnR. Everyone's in position, with DeMar on Korver in the corner.

Teague drives and Lowry/Hansbrough double, causing him to swing to Antic. Hansbrough rotating to back to Horford and Amir stretching out to cover Korver is what should've happened here. Korver doesn't have the ability to beat guys off the dribble, so they can live with that switch. Instead, DeMar is left high and dry guarding both Antic and Korver.

What is the result? An OPEN corner J from arguably the best 3-pt shooter in the league.See how Hansbrough is the one closing out on Korver, even though he was all the way at the left block just a second earlier? Amir doesn't need to stay that attached to Horford; if he rotates correctly, Tyler will be there to matchup Big Al.

The defensive schemes really need to improve. Casey is supposedly a defensive-minded coach.. if this team can't even properly rotate on a PnR (from a team we're supposed to be competing with for a playoff spot), I'm not sure what direction we're heading.
                                How they can defend pnr correctly when they don't communicate?

Comment

Working...
                                X