Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey - First coach to be fired?

Yup.
    I think he deserves to be anyway, though they may give him the same evaluation period as the rest of the team.
    The man is just in over his head.
    He's been out-coached by two rookies now, and really, isn't he out-coached by everybody? Always?
    Sadly, I say yes (I like him, but it's time to pull the plug).

I'm starting to wonder if searching for a replacement may be Ujiri's real priority at the moment.
    I think it should be.

The role of a coach cannot be underestimated.
    A team needs a keen mind behind the bench to succeed. Period.
    I am tired of watching the Raptors run around on the floor without purpose.

If I see this, Ujiri saw it well before he even took the job.

Casey's done!
    Yes
    45.95%
    No
    54.05%

dont jump the ship its only been two games. last night was rough but im sure well bounce back tonight

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
    We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

95% confident Casey is here all season. Will take something completely out of the ordinary for that not to happen.

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
        dont jump the ship its only been two games.
        no, i really think it's time to jump the ship.
        it's not two games, it's two seasons and a pre-season and two games.
        i'm not buying this whole "colangelo wasn't letting him coach".
        man, a good coach wouldn't let colangelo do that to him.
        that's a spin to give people optimism.

evaluating a coach isn't like evaluating a player.
        coaches are the brains, and they are meant to arrive fully-formed and ready to go.
        sure, it can take time for them to get a handle on the team, but good ones shouldn't need long.
        i'm tired of making excuses for underperformers.

casey is making bad decisions or can't get the players to do what he wants.
        either way, i'm out.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          95% confident Casey is here all season. Will take something completely out of the ordinary for that not to happen.
          because he should be, or because he is the secret ingredient to tanking?

perhaps ujiri has already hired his replacement coach as an assistant, and has only told valanciunas.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
            i'm not buying this whole "colangelo wasn't letting him coach".
            man, a good coach wouldn't let colangelo do that to him.
            that's a spin to give people optimism.
            and a smart 'young' (experience wise) coach isn't going to ignore his boss and do what he wants instead.

i'm tired of making excuses for underperformers
            yet couldn't this very 'Casey sucks' argument be seen as an excuse for the players on this team?

Comment

To be fair the dynamics of this team changed after we traded for Rudy. This is practically a different team than the one on opening night last year. Give Casey a full year with this squad and lets see if he can make some noise.

evaluating a coach isn't like evaluating a player.
              coaches are the brains, and they are meant to arrive fully-formed and ready to go.
              IMO evaluating a Coach IS similar to evaluating a player. If expectations aren't met expect to be moved elsewhere.
              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Losing to any team by 40 I think would do it.

Comment

and a smart 'young' (experience wise) coach isn't going to ignore his boss and do what he wants instead.
                  yeah fair enough.
                  to me, it has a lot less to do with going against colangelo and a lot more to do with his failure to find other ways to succeed.
                  i'm taking a pretty hard stance on this, but i guess we never will know how much of his poor decision making in years past was his own.

yet couldn't this very 'Casey sucks' argument be seen as an excuse for the players on this team?
                  hmmm, no.
                  they could be underperforming too, but to me it just seems he lacks the savvy to enable them.

ultimately there's no sense speculating what's happened in the past, but personally i've seen enough.
                  perhaps he isn't terrible, but he simply isn't good enough.
                  Last edited by Shrub; Sat Nov 2, 2013, 10:11 AM. Reason: adjusting overstatement...

Comment

yeah fair enough.
                    to me, it has a lot less to do with going against colangelo and a lot more to do with his failure to find other ways to succeed.
                    i'm taking a pretty hard stance on this, but i guess we never will know how much of his poor decision making in years past was his own.

hmmm, no.
                    they could be underperforming too, but to me it just seems he lacks the savvy to enable them.

ultimately there's no sense speculating what's happened in the past, but personally i've seen enough.
                    perhaps he isn't terrible, but he simply isn't good enough.
                    I don't really disagree with you here.... but at the same time talent matters and players have to play.

I think his "failure to find ways to succeed" and "is unable to enable them" is evidence he's not a great coach. But I don't think its enough to see him as a bad coach, being out coached or in over his head (or what have you).

Comment

Yes, I think Casey will be fired and hopefully the first to go. We brought in two new assistants, lets just promote one to interim coach and give him the rest of the season to audition for the job. I say Nurse since he is supposedly an offensive wiz and that's our biggest weakness right now. We need to run plays to get JV involved. His lack of touches is my biggest concern for the team right now. We need to be developing JV. JV played less than 18 minutes and he only had 3 fouls!

Maybe I could ignore the lack of getting JV involved if there wasn't all these hack coaching mistakes. We can't run an inbounds play. We don't call timeouts to stem huge runs by the other team until it's way too late. I don't think we ran 1 pick and roll against the Hawks. You could count the amount of set plays on one hand.

We have a pretty talented team, definitely comparable to if not better than the Hawks, which makes it super frustrating to see Casey get thoroughly out coached every game. Unless we see some big improvements quickly Casey could be the first coach sent packing.

Comment

Add an option - I hope so.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Im waiting for tonights game before voting.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

So what would it take to bring Stan Van Gundy in (next season of course)?

Honestly, just curious what people think are the chances. I think it would necessitate at least ending up with a promising rookie in this draft. Getting Wiggins would definitely qualify, as having him and a promising C in Jonas would definitely be enticing for any coach. Not sure what other '14 draft players would be that appealing. Obviously Parker, Smart and Randle could be.

I do think it would require having what looks like a young core that can be built to win. I think Jonas is a decent start, as you know SVG would have to be happy about a well-grounded C who shoots FTs well after coaching Howard for a few years. If we can't get a stud in the draft, it might take landing someone like a Rondo or other big name.

A positive is that with Leiweke and Ujiri, the team has management that is secure and ambitious. If SVG came next season, on say a 4-year contract that would align with Ujiri's, that would be a pretty good deal for a coach. He knows he'll have time to work on the team, and he'll have the GM behind him. Their fates would be tied together, but Ujiri-Van Gundy seems like a very promising tandem if Leiweke wants to build a winner.

Comment

If players get traded, Casey stays the whole season and just doesn't get extented.
                              If players dont get traded, Casey goes and a coach with prior Winning experience gets hired to led us in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X