Do Raptors have an identity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Raptors have an identity?

I was posting in the Miami vs Toronto game thread. Trying to think of an advantage we would have tonight. I actually came up of one. Rebounding! We are #1 in rebounding by a huge margin. This team under coach Casey plays D and controls the glass. Personally I don't think their anything more important in basketball than controlling the glass. I know it's only three games but if you look at our roster it's very sustainable. If you think of the teams that play the same way(Indiana and Chicago) they've had a lot of success. Hopefully this becomes something we can count on every game. If it does? Watch out!
    @Chr1st1anL

I agree, here's the stats to back it up.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...sitive-outlook
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Rebounding is great, and it's nice to see that the Raps finally have a very good rebounding team. Unfortunately, our D still isn't that great IMO. WE need to have that Chicago and Indiana type defensive intensity through 48 minutes if we are to compete with the big boys.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I was posting in the Miami vs Toronto game thread. Trying to think of an advantage we would have tonight. I actually came up of one. Rebounding! We are #1 in rebounding by a huge margin. This team under coach Casey plays D and controls the glass. Personally I don't think their anything more important in basketball than controlling the glass. I know it's only three games but if you look at our roster it's very sustainable. If you think of the teams that play the same way(Indiana and Chicago) they've had a lot of success. Hopefully this becomes something we can count on every game. If it does? Watch out!
        Ask around the league, ask fans, coaches, and players.... Raps identity = Soft, low skill, easy game.

Is it true? Sometimes, more often than not actually.
        Can it change? Yep. Gotta build a true winner though. Gotta keep the hard workers, the bangers, and the real ballers. Out with the ego's, the "contract year guys" and the malcontents.

Comment

I think it's too early to say Rebounding is our identity. Raptors were in the bottom 10 in the league in rebounds last year. We're off to a good start. But there have been way to many threads this season with such a small sample size.

Comment

IMO, an identity is largely determined by how the competition views you. I don't think the Heat (or any team for that matter) see Toronto on their schedule and say to themselves, "Man, we've got our work cut out tonight on the boards....".

If the current numbers keep up, then for sure, rebounding can become our identity. But it isn't yet.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
              Rebounding is great, and it's nice to see that the Raps finally have a very good rebounding team. Unfortunately, our D still isn't that great IMO. WE need to have that Chicago and Indiana type defensive intensity through 48 minutes if we are to compete with the big boys.
              We've allowed 93 point a game so far. I know it's only three games but, I'm starting to think that the numbers the starting unit put up defensively last year wasn't a fluke. You can even say we've gotten better defensively with players Tyler, Fields(healthy), Ross coming off the bench. It starting to come together that Massai actually put together a roster made for the type of ball Casey wants to play.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                IMO, an identity is largely determined by how the competition views you. I don't think the Heat (or any team for that matter) see Toronto on their schedule and say to themselves, "Man, we've got our work cut out tonight on the boards....".

If the current numbers keep up, then for sure, rebounding can become our identity. But it isn't yet.
                I'm pretty sure Spo said that when he got the numbers and told the team. I hope the Heat do coming lackadaisical on the boards. Play to our advantage!
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I'm pretty sure Spo said that when he got the numbers and told the team. I hope the Heat do coming lackadaisical on the boards. Play to our advantage!
                  I guess I was interpreting "identity" to mean "reputation". Do the Raptors have a reputation for being beasts on the glass?

I would assume no, but I hope it continues to develop.

Comment

We've allowed 93 point a game so far. I know it's only three games but, I'm starting to think that the numbers the starting unit put up defensively last year wasn't a fluke. You can even say we've gotten better defensively with players Tyler, Fields(healthy), Ross coming off the bench. It starting to come together that Massai actually put together a roster made for the type of ball Casey wants to play.
                    Yea but I swear we are like close to the bottom in terms of fg% and 3 point%, and to me that's more important.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                      Yea but I swear we are like close to the bottom in terms of fg% and 3 point%, and to me that's more important.
                      Raps opponent fg% thus far is sad: 46.3% which is 23rd.

Pace is also 23rd

Def Rtg is good though: 8th

Comment

It's obviously offence. They've got good passing, ball handling and shooting.

Code:
                        I'm kidding. They SUCK offensively.
                        A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

It’s only three games into the regular season, but it is already obvious Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s defense is back. Number 7 in the NBA for points allowed per 100 possessions at 96.1 and number 1 in rebounding and in keeping opponents off the offensive glass, this time Casey’s defense might even be better than in the lockout shortened 2011-2012 season. Plus, after playing three of last season’s Eastern Conference playoff teams in row, it can’t be said the early indications were the result of soft schedule. Raptors Coach Casey’s Defense Is Back

This team's identity is defense & rebounding - that is what the changes made to the roster in the summer were all about.

By the way - getting the ball back by rebounding better trumps a few points on the FG% every time - of course its better to do both well.
                          The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post

By the way - getting the ball back by rebounding better trumps a few points on the FG% every time - of course its better to do both well.
                            This seems, specious. What are you basing this on?

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                              It’s only three games into the regular season, but it is already obvious Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s defense is back. Number 7 in the NBA for points allowed per 100 possessions at 96.1 and number 1 in rebounding and in keeping opponents off the offensive glass, this time Casey’s defense might even be better than in the lockout shortened 2011-2012 season. Plus, after playing three of last season’s Eastern Conference playoff teams in row, it can’t be said the early indications were the result of soft schedule. Raptors Coach Casey’s Defense Is Back

This team's identity is defense & rebounding - that is what the changes made to the roster in the summer were all about.

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but the Raptors have played 1 decent team (Atlanta) and 2 awful teams (Boston and Milwaukee with its best players glued to the bench), so I hardly think the defensive stats are accurate at this early stage in the season. Those 3 teams might have been playoff teams last season, but none of their rosters even remotely resemble their teams from a year ago! There's a good chance that at least 2 of them aren't in the playoffs this season, with a possibility that all three wind up on the outside looking in.

Comment

Working...
                              X