PREDICTIONS: The Second Ten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PREDICTIONS: The Second Ten

So after ten games the Raps are 4-6, which puts them somewhere in between the more negative predictions and the more hopeful ones. (Given that the more hopeful ones barely had the Raps above .500 this is not great.)

Now, ten games is a small sample size. The Nets and the Knicks (both 3-5) probably will not be awful all season and seem to be working out their kinks. Philly (5-5) is already gradually returning to earth after an insane start. Washington (2-6) had an awful and none of their losses have been terrible except the Spurs, and the Spurs are one of the two best teams in the league.

This matters, because small sample size applies to the Raps as well: Rudy had a lengthy cold streak, so did DeMar, Amir's been playing sluggishly, etc. They all need time for us to figure out their "new norm." So I think we can all agree that after 20 games - a quarter of the season - we know what this team is, one way or the other.

So our next ten games are

Portland
    @ Philly
    Washington
    Brooklyn
    Miami
    Denver
    @ Golden State
    @ Phoenix
    @ Lakers
    San Antonio

I think we definitely lose the games to Portland (quietly being one of the best teams in the league), San Antonio (not at all quiet about being one of the best teams in the league), Golden State (see San Antonio) and Miami (still Miami). All of those games are very, very hard wins for us and we shouldn't expect wins. That means in order to hit .500, we need to win all the other games in our next ten.

I don't think it's doable. I think we also lose the Phoenix game and one of the games against Brooklyn, Washington or Philly. That would give us a next-ten record of 4-6 and put us at 8-12 on the season. What do you think?

Comment

Portland - W/L
      @ Philly - L
      Washington - L
      Brooklyn - W
      Miami - L
      Denver - L
      @ Golden State - L
      @ Phoenix - L
      @ Lakers - L
      San Antonio - L (tight game though)

I think they go 1-9 or 2-8 next 10 games. Not sure on Portland. That is a tough time for western conference teams. It is like 10am game time for them.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Portland - W/L
        @ Philly - L
        Washington - L
        Brooklyn - W
        Miami - L
        Denver - L
        @ Golden State - L
        @ Phoenix - L
        @ Lakers - L
        San Antonio - L (tight game though)
        I would go as far as putting the Brooklyn game at W/L.. Raps could very easily lose that game. Just too many weapons on that team to count them out. If even one of them catches fire, we're toast.

Agree with everything else though.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          I would go as far as putting the Brooklyn game at W/L.. Raps could very easily lose that game. Just too many weapons on that team to count them out. If even one of them catches fire, we're toast.

Agree with everything else though.
          I think Brooklyn has to hit rock bottom before they get it together.

A loss to Toronto, a team with a poor reputation/roster/coach and divisional rival, would certainly add a few bricks to the sinking ship.

Comment

It's odd looking at that list and thinking that we could very well lose to the 76ers and Suns.

I'm envious of their positions. 76ers hit a homerun with MCW, Turner is playing phenomenal basketball -- they have Nerlens, their 2014 pick and presumably a great pick from NO coming next year. To top it off they only have 23 mil in committed salary next year -- so a little over Rudy Gay's salary

Suns snagged Bledsoe for pennies. Shame he couldn't be locked into a reasonable contract but he's leading that team better than any expected. A young gun in Plumlee, raw prospect in Len, Morris twins are solid ... a slew of 2014 draft picks... and 2014 salary equivalent of Gay, DD and Novak

I'm not sure if I'm fully on the tank bandwagon --- I'm still hoping MU can pull off something like trading for [Gay for expiring + Monroe and DD for Deng /spitballing]

but in the heart of this thread it definitely shows that something has to be done sooner rather than later to shake us out of this below-mediocrity threshold

Comment

My prediction is as follows:

Portland - W
              @ Philly - L
              Washington - L
              Brooklyn - L
              Miami - L
              Denver - L
              @ Golden State - L
              @ Phoenix - W
              @ Lakers - L
              San Antonio - L

2-10 maybe 3-10 in the next 10. I think the Philly game will be close but they will end up in a loss. Philly/Phoenix/LAL/Washington will all expect a win when facing Toronto and I only see a win against Phoenix in Phoenix of that bunch. Portland is kicking ass and taking names this season but as Matt indicated it will be like a 10am game for them in Toronto. Toronto will have the advantage from that perspective and should have a strong game because of it.

With Brooklyn it's all going to be about Lopez. If he's playing and if he's healthy the Raptors won't have a chance. Lopez is just to big/smart/strong for JV.

Comment

@ Philly - W
                Washington - w
                Brooklyn - W
                Miami - L
                Denver - W
                @ Golden State - L
                @ Phoenix - W
                @ Lakers - W
                San Antonio - W OT
                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                  @ Philly - W
                  Washington - w
                  Brooklyn - W
                  Miami - L
                  Denver - W
                  @ Golden State - L
                  @ Phoenix - W
                  @ Lakers - W
                  San Antonio - W OT
                  Well Mamba, congratulations, life must be very good.

Comment

First 3 games are tossups...the last 7 lean to losses....I'll go with a overall 3-7 won-lost result.

Comment

Agh.
                      It's like rooting for ghosts.

We'll steal a couple of those home games.
                      Washington have been as disfunctional as the Raps so far, that one could be fun.

I expect this to be another 4-6, really.

I really don't want to be looking at Gay and Lowry by the end of those 10 games.
                      Win 10 or lose 10, doesn't matter.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                        So after ten games the Raps are 4-6, which puts them somewhere in between the more negative predictions and the more hopeful ones. (Given that the more hopeful ones barely had the Raps above .500 this is not great.)

Now, ten games is a small sample size. The Nets and the Knicks (both 3-5) probably will not be awful all season and seem to be working out their kinks. Philly (5-5) is already gradually returning to earth after an insane start. Washington (2-6) had an awful and none of their losses have been terrible except the Spurs, and the Spurs are one of the two best teams in the league.

This matters, because small sample size applies to the Raps as well: Rudy had a lengthy cold streak, so did DeMar, Amir's been playing sluggishly, etc. They all need time for us to figure out their "new norm." So I think we can all agree that after 20 games - a quarter of the season - we know what this team is, one way or the other.

So our next ten games are

Portland
                        @ Philly
                        Washington
                        Brooklyn
                        Miami
                        Denver
                        @ Golden State
                        @ Phoenix
                        @ Lakers
                        San Antonio

I think we definitely lose the games to Portland (quietly being one of the best teams in the league), San Antonio (not at all quiet about being one of the best teams in the league), Golden State (see San Antonio) and Miami (still Miami). All of those games are very, very hard wins for us and we shouldn't expect wins. That means in order to hit .500, we need to win all the other games in our next ten.

I don't think it's doable. I think we also lose the Phoenix game and one of the games against Brooklyn, Washington or Philly. That would give us a next-ten record of 4-6 and put us at 8-12 on the season. What do you think?
                        Cannot disagree...we will be stuck in 9-10th......

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                          @ Philly - W
                          Washington - w
                          Brooklyn - W
                          Miami - L
                          Denver - W
                          @ Golden State - L
                          @ Phoenix - W
                          @ Lakers - W
                          San Antonio - W OT
                          If that happens I'll change my tank avatar to one of Derozan.

Here's mine

Portland L
                          @ Philly L
                          Washington W
                          Brooklyn W
                          Miami L
                          Denver W
                          @ Golden State L
                          @ Phoenix L
                          @ Lakers W
                          San Antonio L

I see them going 4-6 again too... if that's the case a small losing streak during the 3rd set of 10 should be enough for MU to end his "wait and see" approach...
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Not sure where the wins will come from, but I'll safely put my bet on 4-6, with the raptors beating one of: Portland, GS, Miami, Spurs.

...and if Kobe is back by the time the Raptors play the Lakers, that could be a tough one. He seems to like beating Toronto.

But if Toronto is at 8-12 after 20 games, I'd be content, although 9-11 has a nicer feel to it. 10-10, and I'd be straight up shocked.
                            Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Portland L - Strong Portland D - though the Chicago spanking will wake some Raptors up
                              @ Philly W - coming down to earth
                              Washington W - Washington is shambolic
                              Brooklyn L - Shambolic but still dangerous
                              Miami L
                              Denver W Denver will have a rough week before a Sunday morning game / doesn't seem to have strong defence
                              @ Golden State L
                              @ Phoenix W - PHX coming down to earth
                              @ Lakers W - Another team that does not have a strong defence
                              San Antonio L

So 5-5

My best Raps predictor metric - opponents sustained strong defence
                              I think there are two Raptors - Raptors' offence under pressure(leading to iso-hero-ball) and Raptors' offence NOT under pressure (smooth playing and high scoring)

Comment

Working...
                              X