Turnovers after timeout; Raptors first play of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnovers after timeout; Raptors first play of the game

Raps first play of the game last year. Go to DeRozan, catch and shoot jump shot. Every game.

This year, first play of the game. Go to JV in the post. JV usually scores. But he'd rarely get any touches in the post after that.

I've also seen a couple of times this year where they couldn't give JV the ball in the post and the Raps just ends up taking a bad shot. Like they have no backup plan. And we're talking about the first play of the game here.

Anyone else notices this? very predictable.

As for turnovers after timeout. It was a problem last year and it's still a problem this year. I dont know what it is. But i've never seen a team look so lost coming off a timeout.
    Mamba Mentality

This has bugged me since day one. What I don't understand, is how after 2 years and, what, 5 different assistant coaches, no one has taken the whiteboard out of Casey's hand.

I'm not really familiar with the dynamic between assistant and head coach on an NBA team, but surely they can throw ideas at Casey in terms of X's and O's when they realize that what he's doing is CLEARLY not working.

So does he just not listen? Are the players ignoring him? Are the assistant coaches hanging him out to dry?

This one really puzzles me...

Comment

I wrote about this recently. Casey's plays out of timeouts are terrible and the results are even worse.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/?p=38230

Comment

Yeah, every game seems to play out the same way.

Step one: 3-4 post ups for JV
        Step two: Rudy and DD take turns

Skip step one if JV can't get good post position or he misses badly/turns the ball over in the post.
        What irks me even more is that the play they usually call at the beginning of the game to get JV good post position has some very nice ball and player movement. However after the first quarter they just stop with it completely. Not only do they stop giving him touches but the ball movement just goes out the window. It feels like My Player in NBA 2K where you get goals like "Get 2 assists in the quarter". As soon as the goal is completed you just go off an do your own thing, even if it helps you play a better game. Except in this case it's either "Give it to JV in the post 3 times in the first quarter" or "Have good ball movement in the first quarter". As soon as the goal is fulfilled they just stop with it immediately, even if it has an overall positive influence on the game.
        OG is our king

Comment

ddaylewis wrote: View Post
          I wrote about this recently. Casey's plays out of timeouts are terrible and the results are even worse.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/?p=38230
          I dont think its just on the coach though. I mean, our starting PG can't run any plays. Kyle Lowry can't even run a simple pick and roll.

All Lowry does is shoot random 3s. He's like a SG playing PG.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Did you see the video at the end where Lowry is running beautiful corner sets in Houston?

Comment

themasao wrote: View Post
              So does he just not listen? Are the players ignoring him? Are the assistant coaches hanging him out to dry?

This one really puzzles me...
              I always think about this type of thing, particularly in respect to the assistant coaches.

We are 'casual' fans.
              I think about basketball a couple times a day, sometimes not at all.
              I'm not paid to take an interest, and nothing hinges on my analysis.
              So why is it that the team isn't wising up to things that are so obvious to me?

Basically, where is the broken link in the chain?

Comment

Casey is a horrible head coach.

Casey is an awesome assistant coach.

That. Is. All.

Comment

Did you see the video at the end where Lowry is running beautiful corner sets in Houston?
                  Sarcasm?

Lowry played well against Houston and Memphis. But the other 8 games?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Part of me thinks the problem is with Casey, but another part of me believes that the collective IQ of the starting 5 for the Raptors is comparable to the IQ of a bunch of kids in High School.

When Jose was running the point last year I saw some bad offense (Jose dribbling down the shot clock to 5-10 seconds then handing the ball to either Bargnani or DeMar to do their thing). But there were far more cases where there was better movement and guys trying to get open. We also see that when Fields is running the point, although even then you can only do so much.

I think Casey has a big role into what the team is doing but these guys are supposed to professionals with lots of experience. I think it boils down to the lack of talent. I really thought Gay had a better IQ than what he's demonstrating to me. He's been a huge disappointment. Lowry I still think can be better, but it looks like he has lost all his confidence. Not sure if that's on Casey or him but if we had guys like Lebron and Paul on this team it wouldn't matter that Casey was the coach. Those guys would be able to create plays that produce easier buckets even off timeouts.

Casey though should be the leader of the team.. he should be the one determining when players get minutes and if Rudy/DeMar are running too many isolations and it is costing the team wins then he should take them out of the game and give more minutes to guys like Fields or Ross. Casey looks like he's too nice. He doesn't look like a guy that wants to rock the boat.. and when you have guys that like taking a sh!t load of shots in 1-on-1 type of basketball... well you're going to have crap plays coming out of timeouts.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                      Sarcasm?

Lowry played well against Houston and Memphis. But the other 8 games?
                      No, that's not what I meant. There is a video at the end of my article from when Kyle Lowry was the point guard in Houston and the Rockets were running a beautiful corner offense. Please watch that before claiming that Lowry "can't even run a simple pick and roll"

I really suggest you read the entire article again. I think I lay out a very strong case that the Raptors' struggles with time-out plays is in large part the fault of Casey.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Casey is a horrible head coach.

Casey is an awesome assistant coach.

That. Is. All.
                        I think the problem with casey is that he isn't very adaptable. pass first point guard, stretch four, shooting guard that can shoot and play defense, no ballstoppers. I think he would do alright. If we blow it up, that could very well be our team, and it is possible we could regret letting casey go.

I've gotten softer on casey, now that I see the inferiority of our players.
                        Last edited by akashsingh; Sat Nov 16, 2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Part of me thinks the problem is with Casey, but another part of me believes that the collective IQ of the starting 5 for the Raptors is comparable to the IQ of a bunch of kids in High School.

When Jose was running the point last year I saw some bad offense (Jose dribbling down the shot clock to 5-10 seconds then handing the ball to either Bargnani or DeMar to do their thing). But there were far more cases where there was better movement and guys trying to get open. We also see that when Fields is running the point, although even then you can only do so much.
                          Hey, watch it!

But yeah, I certainly agree.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

No, that's not what I meant. There is a video at the end of my article from when Kyle Lowry was the point guard in Houston and the Rockets were running a beautiful corner offense. Please watch that before claiming that Lowry "can't even run a simple pick and roll"
                            If this claim is not true, and Lowry can run a simple pick and roll, can you explain why we've never seen him do it consistently since he's been here, compared to it being run continually and with great success when Calderon was in charge of the offence?
                            Last edited by JimiCliff; Sat Nov 16, 2013, 08:37 PM.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              If this claim is not true, and Lowry can run a simple pick and roll, can you explain why we've never seen him do it consistently since he's been here, compared to it being run continually and with great success when Calderon was in charge of the offence?
                              He's being used in the pick and roll less this season, but according to Synergy Sports, 37% of his possessions were in the pick and roll in 2012-13, as compared to 37.5% for Calderon. Both players averaged 0.84 and 0.82 points per pick and roll.

He can do it, he has done it, and he's done it quite successfully. There's strong reason to believe that it's an issue with coaching offensive strategy.

Conversely, why don't you provide some evidence to substantiate your claims like I did?

Comment

Working...
                              X