No announcement yet.

A few realities about building like the Pacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are we always worried about comparing ourselves? Why not build like Masai Ujiri's Toronto Raptors? Every blueprint has been a different one..
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Why are we always worried about comparing ourselves? Why not build like Masai Ujiri's Toronto Raptors? Every blueprint has been a different one..
      Well that would kind of kill the joy of any discussion, now wouldn't it?

....and it would make RR Forums kind of pointless and then what would Doc do for hours of enjoyment everyday?

Also, don't forget this thread was originally written in November 2013 during the peaks of the tank vs. build debate.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Well that would kind of kill the joy of any discussion, now wouldn't it?

....and it would make RR Forums kind of pointless and then what would Doc do for hours of enjoyment everyday?

Also, don't forget this thread was originally written in November 2013 during the peaks of the tank vs. build debate.
        Ohhhh, my bad I thought this was written today, I was like hmmm? Makes so much more sense now.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Are we hoping Bruno turns into a Paul George?

Realize I am aware that nothing is exact but if you had to compare the Raptors of today to Pacers build, 2010-11 is a good place to start comparison.

Stephenson = Bruno

Expiring contracts of Dunleavy, Foster, Ford, Tinsley = Hayes, Fields, Amir, Lou, Hansbrough

Signing of David West in summer = ??????????????????

Resigning of Jeff Foster to team friendly contract = Amir?????????

Anyways, fun times. I just hope whatever happens next status quo is not accepted.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            What I appreciate about the Pacers model (and this is the new drum that I'm beating on this forum constantly about the direction of the Raptors right now), is that they got value in finding some great measurements guys who weren't seen as good 'intangibles' guys (Hibbert being an example of this, Stephenson too), and complimenting them with smart guys who make everyone around them better, guys like George and West who really understand the game at a deep level, and make guys around them better. Bebe, Bruno, Ross, Daniels, these are guys that are guys like Hibbert: where the body or athleticism is everything you want in an elite player, but with enough holes in their game to make them drop out of the lottery or even out of the first round.

We don't have our George yet, not in terms of an elite two-way allstar borderline-superstar guy (which we may never find), but in terms of a smart, cerebral player who can play a lot of minutes and bring up the play of everyone else around him at both ends. This is the great value to George and West, they made guys like Stephenson and Hibbert better than anyone thought they would be (Vogel deserves lots of credit for that too, but a coach needs the right guys on the floor who believe in him and understand his expectations perfectly). We've got some good physical specimens, athletic guys, but they'll go nowhere without the right leaders on this team. I like Lowry but his game doesn't elevate his teammates as much as we need to (and it's really hard to tell how much of this is Lowry and how much is the way Casey uses him). Amir does, but he doesn't stay healthy enough to be a big plus. DeRozan's game, as impressive as it is at times, doesn't consistently bring up the play of his teammates.

If you've got the right culture and approach to the game anchoring your locker-room and your guys on court, you can take a chance on high upside players who have attitude, personality, IQ questionmarks. Nowhere is that better demonstrated is the fact that they made Lance Stephenson look like a good NBA player, because they could keep his personality issues (which were well-documented before they drafted him) in check and get him to play within a system that was going to maximize his consider. Outside of that structure, Stephenson's game has completely fallen apart.

All of which is just to say that player-personnel-wise, this is an aspect of the roster that Ujiri needs to address, whether through the draft or free agency or trades.
            Pacers should consider trading for Stevenson this offseason. His time in CHA has been a disaster. They probably could swing a favourable trade.

Comment

Working...
            X