Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    A few points.

1. Chicago has been quietly shopping Deng for some time now because they can't afford to re-sign him at his current rate (well, they can, but they won't because their owner is a cheapskate).
    2. I don't think Chicago trades Deng just for Lowry. I think they need one more player to make it work. Probably that player is Amir (assuming it's a simple two-team trade) or possibly Landry. If we're involving a third team - say, Sacramento, just for giggles - it probably comes out something like

TO SACRAMENTO: Deng
    TO CHICAGO: Lowry, Jimmer Fredette
    TO TORONTO: John Salmons, Chicago 1st

That works money-wise. Chicago gets a starting PG and a serviceable wing to replace Deng, who's going away next season anyway. Sacramento's new ownership wants to compete and a Deng-Boogie-Mbah a Moute frontcourt is pretty damn terrifying. Toronto is a seller in this trade but we're getting a pick and since Salmons' last year is a team option we're actually clearing even more money next year.
    In this scenario.. Chicago is trading Deng and a first round pick for Lowry and Jimmer? Even if Deng leaves, that's a crap trade for them. Deng has been their best player, and Thibs loves him. Fields probably doesn't move the dial in any trade. Amir would but that's giving up a lot for a weak pick.

The more ideal scenario if Chicago is okay to swap Deng for a starting caliber PG is to see if we can get that pick from another team as we flip Deng to them (like Cleveland or Milwaukee). Sacramento is a team that could use an upgrade in the wings, but their pick is going to Cleveland potentially (although it is lottery protected some what).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      In this scenario.. Chicago is trading Deng and a first round pick for Lowry and Jimmer? Even if Deng leaves, that's a crap trade for them. Deng has been their best player, and Thibs loves him.
      Doesn't matter. Deng makes too much money and Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want to pay luxury tax despite owning one of the most ridiculously profitable teams in the league, which is why Forman was trying to move him all summer; he's only going to get more expensive (because Deng is going to get at least $12M a year next summer) and the Bulls aren't going to give it to him.

The Bulls were willing to stand pat when Rose was going to be playing all year because if Deng means a championship - and the Rose-led Bulls were definitely championship contenders, even with Rose taking his time to get back up to full speed - then fuck it, keep Deng, that's easy math. But if Rose is on the shelf for most or all of the season then they're fringe contenders at best, in which case you trade Deng now because he's the Bulls' version of Rudy Gay: no guarantee he gets better.

Comment

My point is that I think Deng is worth more than Lowry to them this year even with Rose gone for the year. So why not just keep Deng this year and then let him walk in the summer? That way they don't lose an asset like a first round pick by trading him away.

I don't think Fields does anything to sweeten the pot (not with his contract). Amir definitely would, but then you made the pot too sweet for my liking unless Chicago throws in two picks which I don't see happening.

Comment

Would you do my trade idea if Gibson instead of Boozer?

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            Would you do my trade idea if Gibson instead of Boozer?
            Gibson is Boozer's replacement. Chicago isn't trading him.

Comment

I just checked and Boozer contract ends in 2015. Would you do my initial trade proposal?

Comment

Also: this.

The idea of the Raps being able to potentially snag Tom Thibodeau away from the Bulls makes me happy.

Comment

The Bulls might be better off dumping Boozer and Deng and joining the eastern conference tank parade, which seemingly should involve every team in the east outside of the Pacers and Heat.

Comment

Rose out for the season, prying away a 1st round pick for lowry just became a real possibility. Lowry is underpaid and expiring, and chicago was too good last year without rose to consider tanking plus Thibs wouldn't stand for it.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                      Doesn't matter. Deng makes too much money and Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want to pay luxury tax despite owning one of the most ridiculously profitable teams in the league, which is why Forman was trying to move him all summer; he's only going to get more expensive (because Deng is going to get at least $12M a year next summer) and the Bulls aren't going to give it to him.

The Bulls were willing to stand pat when Rose was going to be playing all year because if Deng means a championship - and the Rose-led Bulls were definitely championship contenders, even with Rose taking his time to get back up to full speed - then fuck it, keep Deng, that's easy math. But if Rose is on the shelf for most or all of the season then they're fringe contenders at best, in which case you trade Deng now because he's the Bulls' version of Rudy Gay: no guarantee he gets better.
                      I don't disagree that the Bulls may be motivated to move Deng but they could get a much better return than an expiring Lowry + Jimmer Fredette (who is not good by the way and is getting worse). Plus you have them throwing in a first rounder to boot.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        But what would they give up? They don't really have any 1st rd picks to offer. There's no way they part with a quality young player like Thompson or Barnes. They definitely could use some insurance at PG, but what can they offer?
                        Draymond Green is a possibility, but whats the point?

Comment

Jeff Zillgitt: Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf: "Like Bulls fans everywhere, I was heartbroken when I heard of Derrick’s injury. We are happy to know that according to his doctors, his surgery was successful, and in time, Derrick is expected to make a full recovery." Twitter @JeffZillgitt

KC Johnson: Last Reinsdorf: "Despite Derrick’s absence, this is still a good team. I know this team/coaching staff will continue to make our fans proud. Twitter @KCJHoop

KC Johnson: More Reinsdorf: "I have no doubt he will do the same with regards to his recovery from this injury." Twitter @KCJHoop

Not sounding like a tank is in Chicago's future. But who knows?!?! They could be in position to pull a San Antonio.

Comment

I don't think they will the more I hear on it. Plus I can't picture Thibs having anything to do with tanking.

Unless they trade everyone away the team is good enough to be a 4 or 5 seed even without Rose.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              I don't think they will the more I hear on it. Plus I can't picture Thibs having anything to do with tanking.

Unless they trade everyone away the team is good enough to be a 4 or 5 seed even without Rose.
                              Just like last year.... Or were they 6th?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Just like last year.... Or were they 6th?
                                I think so yeah, but look at the east this year.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X