Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't Casey Take Control of This Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Can't Casey Take Control of This Team?

90% of us are in agreement about what is wrong with this team. True there are some problems with the team that cannot be fixed by a coach, the need for a true point guard that can pass the ball and get it to the guys that need it when and where they need it and is willing to do so ranks high on that list. That said a coach can ride a guy to the point he at least tries to do these things--tries to be a true point guard.

That said much of this isolation one on one stuff nonsense so a guy can take a bad shot covered up without even looking for an open teammate or being unwilling to pass to him when he is open could be stopped by a coach if he would do it. How long would that nonsense go on with a high school team? There is such a thing as a bench. I live 40 miles from Bloomington, IN and I.U. Bob Knight knew what a bench was for. It will get a player straightened out if he really wants to play.

Gay and some of the rest of these guys need some serious bench time when they are just chucking up shot after shot. Why worry about losing the game because of them being benched if your just as likely to lose it with them on the floor anyway? Besides you are tying to make a team, not a star player.

This team does not play together. It is not a team, it is a bunch of I got to get mine players thrown together. Not all but you probably will not have trouble picking those guys out. The philosophy seems to be I will take a bad shot with 2 guys on me even if I have a wide open teammate I could just as easily pass to. It appears to be a me, me, me team, it is all about me. With rare exceptions they are no fun to watch.

Jerk these guys out and put them on the bench for a time everytime they do it. Run tape of the games afterwards and point these things out. This team needs a General Patton. I know it is said you cannot do those type of things with NBA players as they have the big contracts and they are the stars and stars have more power than the coaches and must play because of the money we are paying them. Okay, then enjoy what you get--what you have right now. Are you enjoying that?

And, I will go back to something I have said all along and I noticed in the comments after the Miami game that some are saying the same thing only using different words to describe it--this is a team that apparently has no intentions of using or even trying to use its big men offensively. I followed Hansbrough from Indy to Toronto thinking things would be better for him here, lol. He was used far more effectively in Indiana than here for there he would get the ball in the low post from time to time and they would work with him. Last night against Miami our 3 big men took 6 shots the entire game I believe it was--6 (you can check the stats). Can you imagine Indiana's 3 big men getting only 6 shots in an entire game? There would be some guys on the bench down here.

Preach.

Comment

Introduction To Basketball 101
      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I... I don't understand. So when I play basketball, you mean that I have teammates? AND I have to give them the ball?
        OG is our king

Comment

Because its statistically proven, that in the last 20 years in the NBA only 2 TWO!!!!! Head coaches have even made a measurable impact upon a teams success.

No coach will in toronto until a complete and total overhaul is complete on and off the court. Lets not forget though, it's already started. When TL and UM came in, they cleaned house in the front office. Its begun. All you are seeing now is straight up due diligence and assessment. what this team looks like now, it will not in 4 months. Until then, with a poor culture, the team won't do much, nor will it be all that coach-able.

Comment

No point of replacing Casey for the most part if Rudy wasnt playing like complete Ass we would be above .500 and a top 10 defensive squad in the league small sample size but its still a stat.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
              I don't know why anyone thinks that, A) they know better than paid coaches how to coach a pro basketball team, and B) with this roster, different coaching would make any difference.

Basketball isn't football or hockey, where the large number of players and general chaos mean coaching can make a big difference. In basketball, what makes the big difference is player talent. Basketball is very similar to tennis in this regard. It's not rocket science. Talent in all its forms (athletic, ball skills, IQ etc.) is what counts.

The reason Miami has been in the past 3 finals, the reason Lebron has won the past 2 MVP/finals MVP trophies is the same reason Federer never lost a major final to Roddick (4-0). It's also the reason why San Antonio has done so well since the start of the Robinson era. It's not Popovich or RC Buford. It's the fact that they have so many talented players (how that happened is a different issue). They don't leave the rim unguarded. They hit their foul shots. They make sure they have depth. They don't give rotation minutes to some guy who can't tie his own shoes.

If and when the Raptors are able to replace the current crop of benchwarmers and who-dats with useful, talented guys, then you can argue about who should be coaching them. Until then there's no point.
              yeah you're right. the spurs and heat success has nothing to do with coaching.

wait, WHAT?!

do you watch those teams? how can you not notice the ball movement and spacing and creative ways to get guys the ball in positions with the greatest possibilities to score?

pop is the best coach i've ever seen because his teams have been steadily dominant through multiple eras of wildly different play styles in the league, from the bruising/grind it out/hold the ball/pound it inside era of scoring in the low 70's, to where things are now, where the best offensive teams play small and use ball movement and misdirection to get open threes, or pick and roll to death. they've continually evolved ahead of league trends, and that has everything to do with coaching.

we suck for all the reasons that have been pointed out ad nauseum. too much isolation, the ball sticks, his rotations are fucked, the bigs are used exclusively to set screens, he can't develop plays out of timeout, etc. etc. he's stuck in the stone age.

incidentally, i think this is the same reason the cavs and pistons are so shitty when they should be taking big steps given their talent. they hired old school, "proven" coaches with track records of moderate success who are not able to adapt to the way the game's played today, instead of taking a gamble on a young unproven coach like the suns, sixers, or celtics (or nets i guess, ugh). (cavs did this with byron scott, too, who also sucks. i'd love to see irving with a coach that knows what he's doing, because he should be like parker on steroids with a way better three ball.) i know the way the teams are constructed and talent fits there are questionable but i think a good coach could figure it out.

incidentally, the thunder will never win a chip with brooks at the helm. their offense is as creative as ours, just more successful because their players are way better.

i hate everything about the dwayne casey era.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                No point of replacing Casey for the most part if Rudy wasnt playing like complete Ass we would be above .500 and a top 10 defensive squad in the league small sample size but its still a stat.
                That is the point. Why is Casey letting Rudy do it? He can be stopped on the end of the bench. His shooting percentage will go up when he stops taking so many bad shots and starts looking to pass when not open.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                  I don't know why anyone thinks that, A) they know better than paid coaches how to coach a pro basketball team, and B) with this roster, different coaching would make any difference.

Basketball isn't football or hockey, where the large number of players and general chaos mean coaching can make a big difference. In basketball, what makes the big difference is player talent. Basketball is very similar to tennis in this regard. It's not rocket science. Talent in all its forms (athletic, ball skills, IQ etc.) is what counts.

The reason Miami has been in the past 3 finals, the reason Lebron has won the past 2 MVP/finals MVP trophies is the same reason Federer never lost a major final to Roddick (4-0). It's also the reason why San Antonio has done so well since the start of the Robinson era. It's not Popovich or RC Buford. It's the fact that they have so many talented players (how that happened is a different issue). They don't leave the rim unguarded. They hit their foul shots. They make sure they have depth. They don't give rotation minutes to some guy who can't tie his own shoes.

If and when the Raptors are able to replace the current crop of benchwarmers and who-dats with useful, talented guys, then you can argue about who should be coaching them. Until then there's no point.
                  Do you think this team would be playing like they do with Bob Knight on the bench? There would be heads rolling.

Comment

When it comes to the impact of coaching I'm inclined to side with Brandon.

Before Boston landed KG and Ray, Allen Doc Rivers was being constantly crucified by the Celtics fan base. Than he gets a few finals appearances and is considered one of the best coaches in the league. Not saying he's not, but talent is the be all and end all. The more talented the players the more likely they are to be able to implement your coaching scheme. Yes coaching matters, but not nearly as much talent. Not by a long shot.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

If you're at all aware of what Thibs did with his Bulls team last year, I don't know how you could say that coaching doesn't make a difference in the NBA.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                        If you're at all aware of what Thibs did with his Bulls team last year, I don't know how you could say that coaching doesn't make a difference in the NBA.
                        i was just about to use that as an example. or macmillan with the blazers when they kept miraculously making the playoffs despite roy and oden going down year after year. they also had nobody

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        When it comes to the impact of coaching I'm inclined to side with Brandon.

Before Boston landed KG and Ray, Allen Doc Rivers was being constantly crucified by the Celtics fan base. Than he gets a few finals appearances and is considered one of the best coaches in the league. Not saying he's not, but talent is the be all and end all. The more talented the players the more likely they are to be able to implement your coaching scheme. Yes coaching matters, but not nearly as much talent. Not by a long shot.
                        i didn't mean to imply that coaching is >> more important than talent. it's obviously a marriage between the two. but i took umbrage with brandon's assertion that pop and spoelstra aren't integral to their teams' success.

a generational talent like lebron can drag a team to the finals by himself with a terrible squad and worse coach. likewise, a great coach can have a huge impact on teams with questionable talent, like thibs, or like the young overachieving teams this year everyone assumed would win less than 20 games. it takes both, which is why i worry for durant as a big fan of his.

in short, if a talented team is underachieving* i think it's wise to look hard at the coach.

*not that i think we're very talented. i hate the makeup of this team and don't think the ceiling is much higher than the .400 winning percentage we're posting right now

Comment

Looks like he's taking control of it in another way..

Via Twitter:
                          @WolstatSun: Via @Mike_Ganter Dwane Casey hinted today that the starting lineup is going to change. Expectation is Valanciunas out, Hansbrough in.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            Looks like he's taking control of it in another way..

Via Twitter:
                            @WolstatSun: Via @Mike_Ganter Dwane Casey hinted today that the starting lineup is going to change. Expectation is Valanciunas out, Hansbrough in.
                            This is fantastic news. Let's forget the future and go with the TANK!!!! That and 30 shots for Rudy!!!!
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Is it the coach or is it too many players not buying in? You can lead a horse to water, but ............ Anybody ever notice Casey pulling his hair out on the bench? Coaches only act that way when players aren't doing as they've been coached, but ya can't bench the whole effing team (minus 1 or 3)

Comment

Working...
                              X