Can we talk Basketball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    What, the...what the fuck. Was that real?

Comment

[IMG]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/IMG]
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Can we talk Basketball?

Craig wrote: View Post
        What, the...what the fuck. Was that real?
        Makes Landry Fields look like he has the stroke of Ray Allen eh.

I feel like that video deserves it's own thread.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Makes Landry Fields look like he has the stroke of Ray Allen eh.

I feel like that video deserves it's own thread.
          Luckily, He doesn't shoot like that anymore

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            One of the reason why I love this forum when I joined was the Ball IQ. Most poster here know their basketball. People here understood X's and O's. Cause of that a lot of interesting conversation took place about basketball not financials, picks and etc. Going down this thread all I see is Tank this, Tank that. For this thread I would like to just get back to basketball.

@Raptors put this pic of practise today

Casey working with a lineup of GV, Ross, Salmons, Patterson and Hansbrough

I think this could be a very interesting lineup especially going up against other benches. You got good floor spacing with Ross, Patterson and Salmons. Good hustle and toughness with Hansbrough and Patterson. Than you GV running the show.

I really feel that Novak will fall out of the rotation. Hasn't been shooting well this year and doesn't give you anything else. Maybe Field too. If Fields doesn't start to be the stopper I don't see him getting any out minutes.

Like to hear you guys opinion...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Not a bad line up though it looks a little small. I guess you would use Ross and Patterson the spread the floor and run the ball through Vasquez. Salmons can try to get some penetration and Hansbrough is in to clean up the mess. You'd probably work a pick and pop with Vasquez and Patterson with Ross in the corner for the kick out 3. Salmons could hang out at the elbow and wait for the reset pass while Hansbrough works off ball waiting for the shot. I wouldn't want to field this group against any team with any sort of post presence but between Ross and Salmons our wing D might be ok.

I'd like to see more basketball talk too but the team has been so bad from a basketball perspective it's been hard to comment on the games.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
              Not a bad line up though it looks a little small. I guess you would use Ross and Patterson the spread the floor and run the ball through Vasquez. Salmons can try to get some penetration and Hansbrough is in to clean up the mess. You'd probably work a pick and pop with Vasquez and Patterson with Ross in the corner for the kick out 3. Salmons could hang out at the elbow and wait for the reset pass while Hansbrough works off ball waiting for the shot. I wouldn't want to field this group against any team with any sort of post presence but between Ross and Salmons our wing D might be ok.

I'd like to see more basketball talk too but the team has been so bad from a basketball perspective it's been hard to comment on the games.
              Lol, if we were to analyze games from a few days ago it would go something like:

"Man, I loved that one Iso play that they ran."
              "Yeah I know! They also ran another Iso play in the 3rd quarter that was well executed!"
              "It's just so exciting when they don't pass the ball."
              OG is our king

Comment

Ya the basketball IQ of our team is pretty brutal. It is particularly bad for catch and shoot players like Ross and Novak. We don't have good initial penetration, and if we do it usually doesn't get kicked out and swung for a shot. Same goes if it goes into the post, nobody moves on the perimeter to open passing lanes out of the post to go side-top-side to one of Ross and Novak.

I think that is in part why these guys are struggling, purely speculation with Ross because he is unknown, but Novak is a much better shooter than we are using him as.

I really think we are putting our players in positions to fail

Comment

I would never put this lineup. At least not after at least a couple of weeks. We don't know how the new guys play. Maybe they can work great with the players we already have on the team. Yes, on paper it works great but come on ? Doesn't it always?
                  I can see some value in Salmons - he really plays better after trade. I remember when he was first traded to the Bucks he went crazy and played great basketball. He has good instincts, he has a 3 ball, good defense and if he still has got some legs he could help us win games. I haven't been watching him play lately but from what I remember he is a good player.
                  I like Greivis - don't complain about his defense. Remember Casey's first year as head coach? We had Calderon he isn't a good defender but the Raptors were top of the pack defensively. If Greivis is not terrible on the defensive end it could work. But what i like most about him is his passing. There really isn't a true passer on this team right now. Lowry picks up the assists but he isn't a pass first guy..or even a great passer. Currently Jonas shows the greatest passing instincts on our Raptors. With the group we have adding a great passer like Greivis can help a lot. And he really likes Toronto, he wants to be here and he feels like he belongs. I expect him to play the best ball of his career. PnR with Amir will be extremely efficient offense with the difference that this year we HAVE guys who can hit the 3. I kind of see this team now similar to the 2011/2012 team but with actual offense now. Then we didn't have players who can shoot the 3 (sorry Bargs ) and in general the offensive talent on the team was limited. While we have the same base of guys - only they have improved and we have added shooters and more talent in general.
                  Last edited by footarez; Fri Dec 13, 2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Gervais can run the pick-and-roll with Valanciunas, Johnson, and Hansbrough, which would improve Toronto's offence 50% overnight. Tyler has not had anyone to pass him the ball on pick-and-roll plays or fast breaks since he and Ty Lawson won a national championship. How long he remains a Raptor is questionable, but he answered the call to help the new guys out. In other words, it does not look like a possible lineup for Toronto, even for small ball.

Vasquez is the only one of the four guys in the photo I have even heard about before. Even with Casey as coach, I expect more passing (as we have already seen) and a smoother running machine. But I am pretty sure we are going to see another four to six weeks of "evaluating" players with odd lineups that do nothing to improve the workings of that machine.
                    Last edited by caccia; Fri Dec 13, 2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

I like Vasquez a lot. When he plays well, he is just as good as Lowry. On the flip side, the rest of the guys on that lineup cannot really finish at the rim very well.

I expect that we will play pretty free-flowing for the next couple of games. Casey will probably roll out 10-11 guys per game. Bench Jonas. Leave Ross out to dry playing with scrubs. play hansborough in favour of amir. give julyan stone minutes for some reason.

Uch...i'm going to another thread

Comment

Best part about this is Iverson calling for a travelling violation. Didn't know that was possible on a FTA.
                        There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Hayes is a terrible offensive player, but so what? He's a killer defender. His entire tenure with the Raptors should be somebody saying "Jonas, Chuck. Chuck, Jonas. Chuck, teach Jonas everything you know about D."

Comment

Working...
                          X