No announcement yet.

Extend Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also been mentioned a few times that an extension's term is limited vs. one in a f/a signing.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Let's pretend you're Lowry's agent. Convince your client why it's best to sign an extension now, rather than causing a bidding war in the summer (which would inevitably drive up price).
      Yeah, I'm convinced psrs1 has me on ignore - which is cool.

An extension makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER for Lowry.

It makes some sense for Toronto but NONE for Lowry - NONE.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Calgaryrapsfan, for you to say Lowry is "definitely" not a top 15 pg, is ridiculous. Here are the pgs who are clearly better than Lowry:

Rondo
        Dwill (this is debatable currently but I'll give it to him for the sake of argument)
        Wall
        Rose
        Irving
        Westbrook
        Lillard
        Cp3
        Curry
        Parker

I count 10. The rest are either on par or worse.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
          Calgaryrapsfan, for you to say Lowry is "definitely" not a top 15 pg, is ridiculous. Here are the pgs who are clearly better than Lowry:

Rondo
          Dwill (this is debatable currently but I'll give it to him for the sake of argument)
          Wall
          Rose
          Irving
          Westbrook
          Lillard
          Cp3
          Curry
          Parker

The ones who are on par or just below lowry are
          Jeff Teague
          Kemba walker
          Jrue Holiday
          Bledsoe
          Dragic
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Let's pretend you're Lowry's agent. Convince your client why it's best to sign an extension now, rather than causing a bidding war in the summer (which would inevitably drive up price).
            Especially when you can get an extra year in the summer, whether you re-sign with Toronto or work a S&T deal.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post

Rondo
              Wall
              Rose
              Irving
              Westbrook
              Lillard
              Cp3
              Curry
              Parker

My list was posted earlier on in this thread, but I still think when all factors are considered (ie: talent, potential for growth, age, salary, contract status, etc...), he's closer to 20th in the league. I'm not sure how arguing that he's 'only' a top-20 PG in the league, as opposed to top-15, was met with such anger! lol It's not like I said he wasn't a legit starter, or something like that.

Obviously he's playing at an all-star caliber since the Gay trade and I really hope he gets some well deserved consideration for the EC backups.

The fact that he's playing the best ball of career, in the best shape of his career and being a role-model player/teammate/citizen in a contract year, especially given his up-and-down history, should at least raise a few red flags. Maybe he proves that he's matured and turned a corner, that he finally just 'gets it'. Or he's simply repeating what has happened too many times to count in professional sports, which is looking to cash-in during the final year of his contract. If Toronto re-signs him, I obviously hope it's the former; if they trade him, I hope it's the latter. Who knows at this point.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Especially when you can get an extra year in the summer, whether you re-sign with Toronto or work a S&T deal.
                And it would actually be 2 years if he signed in Toronto.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Actually Matt you are not on ignore list. I read what you say.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

But if Lowry wants to stay in T.O. then it's not all about the money.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      But if Lowry wants to stay in T.O. then it's not all about the money.
                      Loyalty is more or less dead in the NBA, its mostly about the bling.

When Lowry becomes a free agent July.1 I believe he will only sign with the Raptors if they will offer him the most money. There will be some bidding war for his services and he willl probably command around similar to what Jru Holiday signed with the 76'ers prior to his trade (4 year deal $41 million dollars) However I do believe that due to this being Lowry's contract year, there might be a significant regression in his play after he signs that contract.

Masai being the smart and shrewd GM that he is has a few options:

1) Trade Lowry before he becomes a free agent: Unless Masai gets a more or less equal value for Lowry, he will not trade him now because then the Raptors will stop winning and again drop down out of the playoff picture (no playoffs and no high draft pick which is bad). So given there isn't much out there, I highly doubt he will trade him now. If the Raptors do start losing again and playing inconsistent basketball til the trade deadline then "tanking" will be back on and Lowry will be traded for something.

2) Sign Lowry for about $40 -45 million dollars coming July.1 and hope for the best. (The Colangelo plan heh)

3) What I think Masai will do is: Keep looking for the best deal possible right up to July 1st and sign and trade Lowry with his new contract for another team. There will be teams looking to upgrade their pg position coming summer time and will gamble on Lowry to produce at the same pace he done this year. That is when Masai will pounce on the best deal possible for Lowry like he did with Carmelo.
                      Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Extension makes not sense right now. We need to go after Lowry hard as a FA and pay the man what he deserves. He LOVES this city. He has heart and he hustles and he has a great relationship with Amit and DD. You have to look at chemistry with LOWRY and not only the box score. He does the stuff that DO NOT SHOW in the box score. Little things, dirty things and he is the heart and soul of this team.

He deserves anything from 8-10 million a year but if other team are paying more, we should go up to 12 million a year just because he loves this city and this team.

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post

Rondo
                          Wall
                          Rose
                          Irving
                          Westbrook
                          Lillard
                          Cp3
                          Curry
                          Parker

Wrong! Kyle Lowry Can NEVER be a top 15 PG! Ever!

Here's a list of point guards in the league right now that are better than him:

-Chris paul
                          - Stephen curry
                          - Rondo
                          - Jordan Crawford
                          - Nate Robinson
                          - Kirk Hinrich
                          - Norris Cole
                          - Jamal Mashburn
                          - Doc Rivers
                          - Udonis Haslem
                          - Johnny Unitas
                          - the thunder mascot (he can rain half court threes)
                          - Chris Paul's son
                          - John wall's kid sister
                          - the ghost of Abraham Lincoln (he's rumoured to haunt Madison square garden and is a pretty good baller)

Lowry is somewhere in the 16-25 range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                            Wrong! Kyle Lowry Can NEVER be a top 15 PG! Ever!

Here's a list of point guards in the league right now that are better than him:

-Chris paul
                            - Stephen curry
                            - Rondo
                            - Jordan Crawford
                            - Nate Robinson
                            - Kirk Hinrich
                            - Norris Cole
                            - Jamal Mashburn
                            - Doc Rivers
                            - Udonis Haslem
                            - Johnny Unitas
                            - the thunder mascot (he can rain half court threes)
                            - Chris Paul's son
                            - John wall's kid sister
                            - the ghost of Abraham Lincoln (he's rumoured to haunt Madison square garden and is a pretty good baller)

Lowry is somewhere in the 16-25 range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            You had me going for a second there
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• These extension threads usually gave me nightmares when Bryan was the GM. I'm sure he would have offered Lowry a 4 year $50M contract (isn't $50M his going rate for free agents). I trust MU to not only consider his options with Lowry but to also give him a fair contract assuming he wants him back.

Personally I think $8M makes sense.. considering that seemed to be the going rate for most guards in the league. DeMar's $9.5M contract though could bump that up. I do think Lowry is a better player and a better leader. I'm not sure if his age will bump his salary down a bit but I'm sure his agent will use DeMar's salary as a starting point for discussions.

I don't like Lowry at $9.5M for 4 years. His contract could end up looking like Jose's when he was on his last couple of years in Toronto. I would be happy to give $10M if it was a 2 year contract like David West's.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                Loyalty is more or less dead in the NBA, its mostly about the bling.

When Lowry becomes a free agent July.1 I believe he will only sign with the Raptors if they will offer him the most money. There will be some bidding war for his services and he willl probably command around similar to what Jru Holiday signed with the 76'ers prior to his trade (4 year deal $41 million dollars) However I do believe that due to this being Lowry's contract year, there might be a significant regression in his play after he signs that contract.

Masai being the smart and shrewd GM that he is has a few options:

1) Trade Lowry before he becomes a free agent: Unless Masai gets a more or less equal value for Lowry, he will not trade him now because then the Raptors will stop winning and again drop down out of the playoff picture (no playoffs and no high draft pick which is bad). So given there isn't much out there, I highly doubt he will trade him now. If the Raptors do start losing again and playing inconsistent basketball til the trade deadline then "tanking" will be back on and Lowry will be traded for something.

2) Sign Lowry for about $40 -45 million dollars coming July.1 and hope for the best. (The Colangelo plan heh)

3) What I think Masai will do is: Keep looking for the best deal possible right up to July 1st and sign and trade Lowry with his new contract for another team. There will be teams looking to upgrade their pg position coming summer time and will gamble on Lowry to produce at the same pace he done this year. That is when Masai will pounce on the best deal possible for Lowry like he did with Carmelo.
                                Third option may indeed be what ultimately goes down.

Comment

Working...
                                X