X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    We really need to extend Lowry now. He is the leader of our team and we need to keep him. When you think that Fields will get 8.5 million next year it is not unreasonable to expect 9-10million per year at this point and hope he doesn't dig it next year.
    You want him to sign for 7M per year?

If not, then you can't extend him. If he wants more than that, he HAS to wait for free agency.

Leave a comment:

replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    This is what i was thinking too. If we can grab a steal in the draft like Tyler Ennis then it would be the ideal scenario
    Ennis will be gone waaaaaay before our pick, especially if we continue our current trajectory.

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    We really need to extend Lowry now. He is the leader of our team and we need to keep him. When you think that Fields will get 8.5 million next year it is not unreasonable to expect 9-10million per year at this point and hope he doesn't dig it next year.
    Dog it not dig it.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Lowry just never had any real incentive to sign an extension. It's in his interest to let the market set his value in the summer. Only reason he would sign one is if he thought his value would decline because of something like a lingering injury...in which case Toronto shouldn't sign him to an extension....

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    At this point extending Lowry seems unlikely. I wish he would have been extended earlier as his contract amount continues to rise We still are in a good position to resign him though.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
    I've leaned completely towards re-signing Lowry to a little less then what DeRozan is making, if it's possible. Or, maybe a somewhat similar deal to what DeRozan is making?
    This is what i was thinking too. If we can grab a steal in the draft like Tyler Ennis then it would be the ideal scenario

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    I've leaned completely towards re-signing Lowry to a little less then what DeRozan is making, if it's possible. Or, maybe a somewhat similar deal to what DeRozan is making?

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I feel confident Lowry will be signed and traded (confident or unfounded arrogance or blind optimism - one of the 3).

The Lakers, with a rumoured past interest, just makes too much sense in my opinion.

Lakers are going to have a dead weight contract in Nash and a desired asset for the Raptors in their 2014 pick. I think the Lakers would like to enter free agency with Kobe, Lowry, and $30M in cap space versus Kobe, Nash, a likely 10-12 lotto pick, and $30M in cap space. Nash is done.

I would like to see the Raptors keep Lowry for remainder of season and trade DeRozan. If DeRozan could drop his 21 points on 15 shots while still getting those 5-6 rebounds and 4-5 assists, that would change everything, but I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. His last game (in which he was exceptional scoring) was by far the exception and nowhere near the norm.

Sorry, off track.

Keep Lowry and sign and trade Lowry this off season to LA. Most PGs have there best seasons under D'Antoni, total PG coach dream.
    I think if Ujiri can contact the Lakers and gauge their interest, and talk to Lowry and gauge his, and decide it is very likely to happen, so be it. If either of those parties don't express interest now, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Like the result you describe, not the risk.

Although sign me up for the DD trade!

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I feel confident Lowry will be signed and traded (confident or unfounded arrogance or blind optimism - one of the 3).

The Lakers, with a rumoured past interest, just makes too much sense in my opinion.

Lakers are going to have a dead weight contract in Nash and a desired asset for the Raptors in their 2014 pick. I think the Lakers would like to enter free agency with Kobe, Lowry, and $30M in cap space versus Kobe, Nash, a likely 10-12 lotto pick, and $30M in cap space. Nash is done.

I would like to see the Raptors keep Lowry for remainder of season and trade DeRozan. If DeRozan could drop his 21 points on 15 shots while still getting those 5-6 rebounds and 4-5 assists, that would change everything, but I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. His last game (in which he was exceptional scoring) was by far the exception and nowhere near the norm.

Sorry, off track.

Keep Lowry and sign and trade Lowry this off season to LA. Most PGs have there best seasons under D'Antoni, total PG coach dream.
    Lowry to LA makes sense since they need a PG.. but I just don't see Lowry excelling in a D'Antoni type of program. D'Antoni is all about the P'n'r and that's not Lowry's specialty.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    Quick note on your "for instance." No way Ujiri offers a 3 year deal in free agency - that would be a slap in the face. It would be 4 or 5 years. Second, no team except the Raptors can offer 5 years. 4 years is the max. So it would be more like 4/48 versus 4/40 or 5/50 in your scenario. And players have turned down more.

That said, I don't like the risk of going to free agency, so I'd rather he be traded. Then again, I'm also an avowed pro-tanker, so what do I know.

Sorry, off track.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    jimmie wrote: View Post
    When a player says, "I leave all that stuff up to my agent" it is not just a cliche. Usually, it's to shield the player from most of the fallout if the salary demands/negotiations turn serious, lest the player look 'greedy'.

"My agent handles that stuff, I just go with the flow and play basketball"... This is all Kyle has ever said when asked about the topic of his contract; I've got little doubt there is NO deal in place at the moment, and that negotiations will get hot if this goes to the summer. He hasn't even ever suggested that "I'd really like to end my career in Toronto if things work out". The media is talking him up as the top PG in the East this year -- the entire Eastern conference -- do you really think he's got some soft spot in his heart, or so much love for his teammates, that he (along with his agent) would turn down 5 years and $60M somewhere else to take 3 years/$30M to stay in Toronto (for instance)??
    Quick note on your "for instance." No way Ujiri offers a 3 year deal in free agency - that would be a slap in the face. It would be 4 or 5 years. Second, no team except the Raptors can offer 5 years. 4 years is the max. So it would be more like 4/48 versus 4/40 or 5/50 in your scenario. And players have turned down more.

That said, I don't like the risk of going to free agency, so I'd rather he be traded. Then again, I'm also an avowed pro-tanker, so what do I know.

Leave a comment:

• jimmie
    replied
    MU has been great at plugging the leaks. I believe there is some non-formal understanding in place. Certainly things can change but KL strikes me as the kind of person that will keep his word but if he felt he was being played would bolt.
    When a player says, "I leave all that stuff up to my agent" it is not just a cliche. Usually, it's to shield the player from most of the fallout if the salary demands/negotiations turn serious, lest the player look 'greedy'.

"My agent handles that stuff, I just go with the flow and play basketball"... This is all Kyle has ever said when asked about the topic of his contract; I've got little doubt there is NO deal in place at the moment, and that negotiations will get hot if this goes to the summer. He hasn't even ever suggested that "I'd really like to end my career in Toronto if things work out". The media is talking him up as the top PG in the East this year -- the entire Eastern conference -- do you really think he's got some soft spot in his heart, or so much love for his teammates, that he (along with his agent) would turn down 5 years and $60M somewhere else to take 3 years/$30M to stay in Toronto (for instance)??

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Sorry my bad.. yeah its possible that MU/Kyle and his agent are already talking and have some kind of agreement in place. Usually that would be leaked out already though.. why keep that a secret?
    MU has been great at plugging the leaks. I believe there is some non-formal understanding in place. Certainly things can change but KL strikes me as the kind of person that will keep his word but if he felt he was being played would bolt.

Leave a comment:

• ibreak4coffee
    replied
    Unless you want 2-3 years more of lottery level basketball, then its the top priority. Of course if I'm Kyle and I watch Demar continue his Rudy Gay impersonation, I'm out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X