Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars
    replied
    Phoenix is only going to trade those picks for a super-star.. they are looking at Houston's model and have the pieces to do it. Love makes sense (mentioned in this thread above). Minny can't make a BC blunder and hope that Love resigns. Phoenix has the pieces to make a deal that can help Minny rebuild quickly.

If no one is available I see them holding on to their cap space and developing their rookies. I like their strategy.. hoping MU can get similar assets so they end up in the driver seat on negotiations for star players. I see 2016 becoming an interesting year for the Raptors.

Leave a comment:

• connected
    replied
    This would never happen but JV + DD for Oakfor + Plumlee + PHX 2014, Wash 2014, Lakers 2015

DD is the closest thing to a established star on our team and JV has the most potential --- this seems crazy considering we are giving up the best pieces on our team for unproven picks that could potentially all end up being mid to late picks

but this would be a move that solidifies the tank and have barely any salary locked up in 2015

hopefully get lucky and our pick ends up top 5 (lets say Wiggins for argument sake) -- ideally we could package assets and grab exum or smart with the assortment of our other picks if that's asking too much we go for Gordon

Vasquez/Ross/Wiggins/Gordon/Plumlee -- with those prospects that's a sexy lineup but the beauty of this plan is they won't perform well (even LeBron didn't make the playoffs his first year)

the 2015 draft isn't looking to shabby --- so the raps pick and lakers (if they don't land that star they are expecting) should be good then too

in 2015 FA we have a ton of cap space and throw money at Marc Gasol and Rondo...............

Rondo/Vasquez
    Ross/Wayne Sheldon
    Wiggins/Luc Mbah a Moute
    Gordon/Johnson (resigned?)
    Gasol/Plumlee

Championship caliber in 2016?

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    Okafor is expected to be back in action by January and is $14m of expiring. A rock-solid defensive centre who helps OKC's money situation greatly? I think they jump at that.
    Doesn't help them financially this year. The extra salary and luxury tax is equal to or more than next year savings.

They also lose first wing off bench and prospect in lamb.

I don't think it helps thunder on court or in books.

Leave a comment:

• magoon
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Except 2. puts OKC a few million in to luxury tax, weakens their bench, and provides no benefit to winning as Okafor is damaged goods.
    Okafor is expected to be back in action by January and is $14m of expiring. A rock-solid defensive centre who helps OKC's money situation greatly? I think they jump at that.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Brandon wrote:
    That reply was to a different comment.
    "Reply with quote"

Leave a comment:

• phez
    replied
    just remember these are all protected picks

Minnesota’s first-rounder, which is top-13 protected
    Washington’s selection protected through 12
    Indiana pick that is top-14 protected
    and top 5 protected in 2015 from Lakers

yea its probably more likely that minnesota and indiana picks are legit, but trading protected picks is something colangelo did a lot of and most of them fell through. someone i dont think masai wants to follow suit.

Leave a comment:

• BobLoblaw
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I brought this up in another thread. Very much a tank trade.

PHX gets: Pau Gasol
    LAL gets: Amir and Lowry
    TOR gets: Okafor and multiple picks (at least one 1st rounder)

I could see some more small pieces added, but this would be the core of the deal.

Toronto gets a pick for getting a guy who likely will not play this season (and you know, for giving up the best value players in the deal). I could see another 1st rounder going to LA. And maybe another 2nd rounder going to Toronto. Toronto's capspace goes up with Okafor's deal expiring. And honestly, as much as I love Amir, I'm pretty sure he is actually the biggest obstacle to tanking. He really holds things together, and without him, our D takes a step back that'll probably cost us many games.

A few articles that LA may be willing to take on salary for next year as long as it doesn't compromise their 2015 flexibility. Johnson's salary is not at all crippling even if they want to be active this summer. He would help them a lot, and I can see him fitting in very well in D'Antoni's system compared to the failures of Howard and Pau. Doesn't need the ball in the post, runs the floor well, plays the p'n'r well, and has enough of a jumper, and would help what little D gets played in D'Antoni's system. Also since it's the Lakers and his hometown, it's probably the kind of deal I'd feel least bad about trading him in.

PHX gets an established star player. Not having his best season, but D'Antoni's system just blows for big men. Admittedly since Pau is expiring, PHX may not have interest....but I think a star in Pau's tier is likely what they'd be looking to get. They'd get his bird rights too, which would make it easier to re-sign him if they want, and PHX might be a really good fit as he would give them a much needed interior presence, which would complement the Morris twins and their backcourt.

Once again...thoughts? Good? Bad? Tweaks that could make it work better?
    Pau is halfway to 34, his knees are bad enough for him to have blood platelet treatment on both, and he has plantar fasciitis in both feet. It won't get better from here. I don't think the Suns would give up a 1st rd pick for him.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    This is how you do it:

1. DeMar and Psycho T to Phoenix for Emeka Okafor and whatever picks can be wrangled from Phoenix
    2. In February, Emeka Okafor to OKC for Perkins, Lamb, and whatever picks can be wrangled from OKC
    Except 2. puts OKC a few million in to luxury tax, weakens their bench, and provides no benefit to winning as Okafor is damaged goods.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Brandon wrote:
    That doesn't work. The contracts don't match.
    How so?

150% of $6.5M is $9.75M.

Perkins makes $8.7M.

Trade keeps Raps below luxury tax so 125% does not apply.

Leave a comment:

• magoon
    replied
    This is how you do it:

1. DeMar and Psycho T to Phoenix for Emeka Okafor and whatever picks can be wrangled from Phoenix
    2. In February, Emeka Okafor to OKC for Perkins, Lamb, and whatever picks can be wrangled from OKC

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Brandon wrote:
    I don't know that I would toss a first rounder at the Raps for their entire combined roster at this point, with the exception of Lowry.

One reliable way for the Raps to add more picks would be to take on other teams' shit contracts.
    Why I can't get Amir for Perkins out of my head.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    PHX is not playing an uptempo style. That's based on history. They are currently middle of the league in pace(while Lakers are near the top). They are not pushing it nearly as much as they were before.

*To put in perspective, their pace ranks just behind San Antonio.

**Also, wtf, JO? Pau is still among the most skilled/talented bigs in the league. He's arguably in the worst possible situation in LA with D'Antoni there. D'Antoni does not know how to utilize bigs. He never has.
    Funny cause I was thinking that this morning. A three team deal involving Toronto, Phoenix, and LA. Paul gasol to Phoenix, Lowry to LA and a first rounder to toronto

*Edit
    Something like this seems reasonable
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lx4wa2f

Toronto: 1st rounder from Phoenix
    Phoenix: gasol
    Los Angeles: Lowry and okafor
    Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Sat Dec 14, 2013, 08:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    then you ship lowry to nyk for felton/mwp and their 2018 pick.

at this point the raps don't win a single game the rest of the season while val and ross play BIG minutes. mwp preaches/teaches toughness. felton gets dealt for a nickle on the dollar at some point. GS maybe? lakers? who cares just get him gone.

raps end with a bottom 3 record and 2 firsts in the 2014 draft with plenty of cap space to sign a couple solid role players.

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    what about demar + amir for okafor and one of their picks?

raps become TERRIBLE while nabbing a big expiring and first round pick. granted neither demar or amir are stars, but they are very nice pieces on reasonable deals who plug in perfectly with their style of play.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    Pau can't run. What would Phoenix want with him? They're in win now mode allegedly Pau might be the worst fit in the league after Jermain oneal....
    PHX is not playing an uptempo style. That's based on history. They are currently middle of the league in pace(while Lakers are near the top). They are not pushing it nearly as much as they were before.

*To put in perspective, their pace ranks just behind San Antonio.

**Also, wtf, JO? Pau is still among the most skilled/talented bigs in the league. He's arguably in the worst possible situation in LA with D'Antoni there. D'Antoni does not know how to utilize bigs. He never has.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Dec 14, 2013, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X