X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isaacthompson
    replied
    Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.
    Draft Exum/Smart in this draft and then sign Wiggins in 4 years. Oh god.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied

So for anyone who doesn't know.... wiggins would be pulling the ultimate patriotic move by doing a Steve Francis on draft night.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The least amount of time it could be is 5 years: 4 years rookie deal plus one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted.

That is for any player coming off a rookie deal.

Why you don't see players typically do this is because they rarely give up the guaranteed money.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but only guy I can remember is Ben Gordon.
    So, qualifying offer is a player option? If they pick it up they can become UFA the following offseason? If they don't pick it up they go to RFA?

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The best thing that can happen is Wiggins pulling a Steve Francis and pouting like a little bitch about being drafted by anyone other than the Raptors.....forcing his team to trade him
    Im hoping for this. I dont want to play in milwaukee my family is too far away I dont know anyone there I want to go to Toronto trade me now. that Steve Francis story was so great lol.

JV for the rights to Wiggins on draft night book it.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.
    Exactly. Sure, Wiggins would prefer Toronto RIGHT NOW, but after 8 years in the NBA he's going to be a completely different person and the whimsical 17 year old from T.O will be long gone.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    The best thing that can happen is Wiggins pulling a Steve Francis and pouting like a little bitch about being drafted by anyone other than the Raptors.....forcing his team to trade him
    That would make me smile...forever.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.

Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Guys, why 8 years? Is there a restriction on players coming off rookie deals?
    The least amount of time it could be is 5 years: 4 years rookie deal plus one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted.

That is for any player coming off a rookie deal.

Why you don't see players typically do this is because they rarely give up the guaranteed money.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but only guy I can remember is Ben Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• stooley
    replied
    JawsGT wrote: View Post
    They're RFAs. But if Milwaukee still sucks in 4 or 5 years, maybe Wiggins requests a trade?

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?
    I agree, going forward now with the intention of signing Wiggins after his rookie contract seems very risky. It hinders the development of the team up until that point, with no guarantee that he is actually going to sign here. Plus, by that time Wiggins might not be that appealing. Many assume he will be a superstar, but it's just as likely he will not be. I have no issues with attempting to sign Wiggins later if we are unable to land him in the draft, but I don't think planning to acquire him in FA is very wise.

Leave a comment:

• Craiger
    replied
    magoon wrote: View Post
    Because that's eight years from now, basically, which is not really a plan per se.
    and thats the problem.

8 years is a life time by NBA standards. You can't plan for anything specific 8 years from now, you can only have macro ideas of where you'd like to be.

The infinite number of possibilities between today and 8 years from now are ridiculous. Its fine to say if we don't get Wiggins this year (or insert name/year) we'll try to get him at the next opportunity. But to plan for that now is simple wasting resources and opportunities.

This is simply not a rational idea at all. It really makes me question just how intelligent these so called basketball minds are.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied
    I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?
    Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X